GWO

Jul 15, 2000
I'm 6'2" and I'm thinking about getting the Doug Henry model ProTaper. Any tall guys have experience with these bars? What I like about these bars is that they are tall like the CR high bars, but have less pull back than the CR high. These bars will go on at the same time as a tall seat foam.

I'm planning to get the Enduro Engineering extra-firm tall seat foam. You must think I'm crazy, but I like the stock seat and I want the tall seat to stay tall and not compress while I'm sitting on it. What do you guys think of Enduro Engineering foams and covers?

GWO
y2k 300 exc

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Same here (6-1).. just ordered tall foam for the CR. Been riding a 250F lately and like the "on top of it" feeling... on the CR, I feel more down "in it".... hoping the foam helps. Will hellp with the seat/pegs ergos as well.

I use Tag Supercross bend bars, not for height (they aren't) but for the lack of sweep. My "attack" position is a little more bent over than somw... seems the perfect position hurts my damaged back :( ....

The Button bend is reccomended by many on the board, I hear the Henry bend is also good for taller riders.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Protaper is making an extremely tall Pastrana bend and Tag is making a CR double Hi in the X5 and T2. Both are 4" or more.

erdento

Aug 27, 2000
problems of the tall

I, too, have problems finding a suitable bar and I am about 6'1". Currently, I run a Doug Henry bend Protaper on a 2000 250 exc. This bar is not high enough for me and the sweep is greater than the stock bar. My lower back still puts the hurt on me from the hunched over positon I have to assume. I have tried to order the Larocco Double Cross because it is taller with less sweep and would allow the use of a bar pad to cover the Scotts Dampner--I've almost kissed that thing a couple of times and I just don't want that kind of a relationship at this point. However, this bar has been on backorder for 7, count them, 7 months. I may have to swallow hard, pay the extra FORTY BUCKS and go with the Renthal Twinwall Carmichael bend which shares the same dimensions as the Laroccco. Tall seat foam is a real benefit so you don't feel like your knees are going to scratch your chin and a surprising reduction in effort when going from sitting to standing. Let me know of anything else that helps to accomodate us tall folks

jim920ktm

May 14, 2001
You'll like the Doug Henry bend ProTaper bar. I'm 6'4" and have tried most all of the taller bends available. As for the Enduro Engineering tall foams and seat covers...they're the best stuff out there. In fact, all of the Enduro Engineering products are well-designed, excellent quality and will improve performance regardless of what you ride.

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
Thanks for the replies!

erdento, looking at the ProTaper chart, I see that the Doug Henry model is 10mm taller and 5mm less pullback than the KTM bars. Is the chart not right? That's important to me since I want taller and less pullback than stock.

Does the tall seat foam really reduce the transition effort that much? I hope so, because that's the very reason I'm getting it. My knees are showing some wear.

Anyone else?

erdento

Aug 27, 2000
Hmmmm. The chart I'm using from Rocky Mountain shows the stock KTM as Height: 3.42 inches; Pullback: 2.36". The Henry is shown as Height: 3.54"; Pullback: 2.44"

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The lonely hearts club?
I swear tall riders get no reaspect.
Who listens when I complain about my knees getting tangled in the Handlebars?
All the bikes seem cramped these days.
I am 6'8" tall and run a thumper tall yz seat and cover on my wr426.
I also run the RC bars and a pro taper top clamp in the forward position.
This works allright but my knees still hit the bars when I am backing it in.
When the trails are overgrown my head hits everything low hanging, my helmet has a permanent path ground in it fom low branches.
I really don't expect sympathy, it could be worse- I can't imagine not reaching the ground!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
You can not go wrong with the EE tall seat. I love mine.
SFO, my helmet also has major marks from low hanging branches. However, I love to watch my shorter riding buddies struggle to "find" the ground.

kx125racer

Feb 21, 2000
I bought the TAG cr double highs and they are great. They aren't as tall as the Renthal button bars though. The chart shows that they are, but the chart is full of it.

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
I'm 6'2" and use Thumper bar risers with a CR Low bar. Moves the bar up and forward 1.5". Feels really good plus my steering dampner fits under the bar and is covered on both sides by the bar risers.

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
I'm 6'0 and have pretty long legs and an average torso. I weigh about 185 with gear, so I'm pretty slim. My 200 seems to low to grip with my legs, so i'm going to get the tall seat foam soon. I'm not sure what bars to get though. The stock ones were tough enough, but too low. If I go higher, will it be harder on my skinny arms in a long ride/race, or will the taller bars not effect anything when used with a taller seat? Thanks.

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
I've decided to go with the Renthal Fatbars and with the 971 model (the RC bars). They're a little taller than the Doug Henry bars with little less sweep. This should help "spread" me out a little more when standing. I called Scotts Performance because I needed bottom handlebar clamps to adapt my damper, and I discussed handlebars while talking with Steve. He said their tall riders were very happy with these bars, so I'm going to give them a try.

Mike-200, the taller bars and taller seat might offset each other when sitting, but you should feel a difference when standing. You should feel less hunched over.

Last edited:

JUSTFORFUN

Aug 22, 2000
I'm 6' 5" I just bought a new pair of bars that I really like. They are very tall but don't have alot of sweep. I don't have the exact measurments but they are 'MINI HIGH" from renthal.

Rick H

Nov 6, 2000
I just put a set of FMF 909 Mini bike bars on my 200 MXC along with EE tall seat foam and LOVE the new feel. Most of the regular bike bars are only a little bit taller. With the Mini bars they are a LOT taller. It also give a lot more room for my Scotts dampner. When you stand up the bars are up there with you you don't have to bend over. The tall seat foam gives you good grip between your knees.

rda

Jun 20, 2000
standing up

how many of you tall guys stand up? i am 6'4" and have never been able to feel comfortable while standing. on a previous bike (95 xr 600) i tried cr hi bars on risers and it still didn't feel natural. i think i have a longer torso then legs, and i always feel like i am going to go over the bars when standing. i have about given up learning to stand, but i know i need too to increase my speed at certain races.

i have an 01 300 now, any suggestions on techniques, etc.?

thanks

burtlamborn

Dec 21, 2000
I'm 6'5", and I stand up quite a bit. I have a '99 380 EXC, and the only 'tall' modifications I have made are as follows:

1. An extra inch or so of seat foam added to the stock seat. I just took it down to the local upholstery guy, and for $20 he removes the cover, adds and inch or two of foam, then puts the cover back on. Makes the seat taller AND softer.

2. I built some bar spacers that raise the bars an inch. I'm still using the stock bars and triple clamps, just an inch higher. Works great for me.

Burt Lamborn

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
Thanks for the responses.

RDA, here's my comments on being tall and standing...

I ride a mountain bike and I stand for all the technical sections. I grip the seat with my thighs and I only sit when I'm climbing. It is my most comfortable position on a mountain bike. However, it was difficult for me to do the same on a motorcycle. After much thought, I attribute the problem to two things...

1) Transitioning. The transition from seated to standing is a big issue. My mountain bike seat is very tall and standing is hardly any issue at all. I can ride hard for an hour straight and I'm not worn out like the sitting/standing does to me on my motorcycle. Because of this, I'm ordering the EE extra firm tall seat foam to get me up a few inches.

2) Balance. It's easier to balance on a mountain bike because of where my feet are positioned (one forward and one back) and because my feet are clipped in with cleated shoes. Also, you don't have to balance under extreme acceleration or braking like you do on a motorcycle. This comes with experience. By the end of this last race season, I was standing much more than in the beginning. I can better coordinate the controls (brakes, clutch, and throttle) while standing. I also can better lean to counter the effects of acceleration and braking. This is where riding skill shows the best. I'm learning that you want to be as neutral and square as possible in all situations.

GWO

rda

Jun 20, 2000
standing up

thanks guys,

gwo, i ride a mountain bike too, your right, standing up while riding it is no problem.

to bad they don't make differant size motorcycle frames like they do bike frames.

Top Bottom