MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I'm in desperate need of taller/softer seat foam for my 98KX250. Either I'm getting older or seat bouncing more; but my tail end is more and more sore after I ride these days. Anyway, I've looked into these complete seats available from CEET, SDG, and Moose; but none of them make something for the 98. They all start at the 99 model for the complete seats. So my question is will the 99KX seat fit on a 98? Otherwise, does anyone know where I can get a taller seat foam for the 98?

Many thanks.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
No; different seats altogether.

You will have to buy the separate pieces; foam can be had from Ceet, Guts (who has various densities) or maybe Factory Effects -the latter might still have that year.

tiller

Nov 4, 2002
Here is something that I did to my 2000 that worked well and you may want to try. After visiting an upholstery supply house and not finding anything that I wanted, I made a trip to Walmart. In the camping section they sell a mat that is made to go under your sleeping bag. It is about 3 or 4 feet wide and 6 or 7 feet long and 1 inch thick. Cost about 5 bucks. My original seat and base were still in good condition. I removed the seat cover and cut strips from the camping pad and shaped my seat how I wanted it. Glued the pad to my old seat foam and installed a new seat cover. You can make it however tall and shape it how you like with very little money spent.

Steve

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
On both my current KX500 and old KDX200, I added (a little softer) foam over the top of stock foam. Got it from a local foam shop (their hardest was still softer than stock). I used an electric kitchen carving knife to shape it, then glued it to the stock foam (spray foam glue). With streatch material I got from an apolstering shop I did it myself. The whole thing cost me maybe $20 and I have enough material left for another recovering if needed.

I like the added height, and at my age, the softer seat is great on long rides.

Top Bottom