Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I need to raise my sons XR50 over the winter and am looking for opinions.
Should I go with a lift kit (which one?) or should I go with a tall seat foam.
I am trying to get an x-tra 2-3 inches or so.
Thanks

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A tall seat is probably the cheapest/easiest alternative. I think BigLou has a tall seat - it's pretty nice (for big people, too). I'm pretty sure One Industries makes a complete tall seat as well.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Yea, get BigLou in here to tell you about the tall seat. Ask him about that airbox hose that's left dangling after you install the Uni Filter as well.

BigLou, where are you?! :worship:

B

biglou

Yep, the tall seat does help out a bunch for us, um, bigger kids! Mine is the SDG. The difference is huge over the stock seat in how the bike fits. It might be just the cost-effective ticket for ya. Seems like those lift kits were relatively pricey comoared to the seats.

And, I think that vent hose just gets piped down the side of the case! I got the Takegawa filter now (K&N clone) and it has one port on it, so that's where it is now! :thumb:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Wolf, remove the gas tank and use one inch or two inch rubber bushings between the tank and the frame. You'll need longer bolts, too. It's a cheap and effective way to get a little extra height.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
One complaint I have heard about the riser kits is that it make the bike too "top Heavy", or meaning the handling is compromised...short wheel base with more height, thoughts are to be more unstable...
That is what I have heard. I have never ridden a Fiddy with the riser kit, but I also dont know anyone in our area that is sporting it either.
The tall seat is the best option, IMO.

B

biglou

I think I have 3/4-1" rubber bushings under my tank, too. I had to use them to get the petcock to clear the Takegawa air filter after doing the big bore kit. Even with the bushings, it clears only by about 1/4".

btw-Wolf, I'm sure you've seen it, but click the link in my sig line to see the SDG seat for reference. That pic was before the BB kit, although the visual difference is undetectable.

Top Bottom