vancerd

Oct 29, 2002
My son is new to riding. Last year was his first year and he rode a TTR-125. Now he has physically outgrown it. So my options are limited. I could buy one of those big heavy (CRF) trail bikes. But I would prefer not to. I am thinking of a 2-stroke 125 and am wondering if there are any tricks to detune them or at least smooth the power out. I am considering a flywheel weight, and maybe some kind of throttle stop. At least until his skills are better. Anyone else have any other ideas? Is it possible to sleeve an RM125 down to 100 or even 85cc?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
it'll be much easier for him to make the jump to a four-stroke 250 than a 2stroke 125...the 2stroke 125 has much more power delivered in a very abrupt way while the 250f's have the same delivery just more of it...the simplest way to detune it though would be to jet it a tad rich though, there have been some topics in the past about this though and u should get some good answers.

vancerd

Oct 29, 2002
Yeah, I have a YZ250F myself. I need to put him on it first. But I bought this RM125 very cheap. If he can't ride it, I can probably sell it and even make a few bucks. But it's an awesome bike and I would really like for him to ride it. Maybe I'll put him on the 250F for a few rides and I'll ride the 125. Then when he's comfortable with that, we'll switch back (No one is taking my 250F from me)

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
He will be absolutely fine. i was so scared about the jump.within 1 month i was on a 250...with little or no probs! I am a real novice with little/no real riding skills and can handle the power! Tell him to shortshift before he hits the real power...within a ride or two he'll be fine! I do not agree with the 250f as a good starter bike it will lift the wheel far easier than a 125! What year rm did you get?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You won't have to do anything to tame the power. If he was able to ride the TTr well he already knows about throttle control. Your son will learn how to get "on the pipe" a little at a time. Believe me, the fisrt time he gets into it, he'll close the throttle.

My buddy's son moved up from a TTr-125 to a KX125 (and he's only 12!) and he had a lot of respect for the size and power of the bike. This surprised me because he's got a wild streek. I expect that he'll be spanking that bike in a few months.

vancerd

Oct 29, 2002
blanc said:
He will be absolutely fine. i was so scared about the jump.within 1 month i was on a 250...with little or no probs! I am a real novice with little/no real riding skills and can handle the power! Tell him to shortshift before he hits the real power...within a ride or two he'll be fine! I do not agree with the 250f as a good starter bike it will lift the wheel far easier than a 125! What year rm did you get?

I got a 2002 that is very well taken care of. It has Renthals, DID gold chain, graphics and seat cover, FMF pipe and silencer, anodized clamps, PR2 motor work to match cases and supposedly smooth out power delivery, and a new top end. It really is an awesome bike. And the best part is I bought it for $2k.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yep, just put him on the Rm125- the only problem tthat i can see is that within a few weeks, the young kid on his sweet handling, corner carving, light weight race bike :worship: will be making the old man on his top heavy, slow turning, too noisy, overrated trail bike look really slow! :eek: :thumb:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
U could try going too a smaller rear sprocket.. But im sure he'll be fine being that he already knows the basics too riding a bike..
RIck

j_2da_h

Sep 12, 2004
You could probably look into an older rm or yz 125 without a whole lot of power. thats what i did then i made a jump to my 250f which i'm riding now.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
yeah he will be fine one his hits the power band for the first time he will back off and then learn when it kicks in and learn how to say on the pipe

Jonny Whyte

Jun 12, 2004
If you are getting him the RM125, one thing I would say about it is that in my opinon the suspension and the handling is REALLY good, its so plush and my confidence of riding the bike grew a lot in about 5 races when we got the suspension setting just right. Im only 15 like but im just giving you an idea of I think of it. As for the power there is a pretty big jump into the power band and it took me a few races to get used to the power of it, there was more power in it than what I thought there was from jumping up from an 80 but as I said I just need time to get used to it. I think your son should just try it and after a while see if he likes it or not.

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
you could tame the power band with a little porting and a pipe and stuff but that would be expensive so i think that if he has been riding for a while he will grow into the bike and figure out how to ride it.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Dude asks the question in March and we're still answering it 8 months later? My guess is the kid took to the 125 like a duck to water.

Top Bottom