alabamad

Jul 6, 2007
Has anyone tried painting and old white gas tank with the new Krylon plastic paint? My tank is getting yellow with years of gas being inside. I was thinking black-red -or back to white...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
don't let everyone discourage you, friend. If you really want to try it, go for it. Just remember that it probably won't last.

Heck, it's worth the price of a bomb can, isn't it?

May 10, 2007
i dunno my friend repainted his yz80's tank and it worked fine

but he used some paint his dad got. his dad repairs helicoptors and they used some crazy aircraft paint

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
You can also take the time and sand it really, really well and it will take some layers off the plastic and get down to the white.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Sand it, get a paint that is for plastic and try it. I had an old Honds that I painted and it lasted about three months. The paint is cheap so I just put a fresh coat on every so often. If you plan to two tone it or stripe it you may want to re think. But like Predator said dont let the negative talk hold you back. Do what you want, if it cant be worse than it already is you realy have nothing to worry about.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
kx125412 said:
You can also take the time and sand it really, really well and it will take some layers off the plastic and get down to the white.

The trouble with those old Yamaha tanks is that the discoloation is caused by fuel permeating through the tank. They brown from the inside out so you can't really sand it off. I also highly advise against even attempting to paint the tank. It will look good for a very short time. But, between the poor adhesion between plastic and paint as well as fuel vapors attacking the backside of the paint, the finish will be very short lived.

Top Bottom