speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
After reading the post in here about joint pain I decided to order some. I just got it tonight and will let you all know if it helps me out any. It may take awhile according to the web sights, but I have time. I am an older rider (51) and have pain even when I don't ride so here goes.
I have heard it tastes pretty bad but having mixed it with water, ice, and a packet of sweet and low its not bad.
Tom

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I'm not familiar with this Tart Cherry Juice. Care to share more information about it. Is this the brand name or the product description?

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
tart cherry juice

Here is the link to one of the suppliers of this stuff.

This morning while lying in bed I felt a pop in my shoulder and after getting up I realized I had popped my shoulder back where it should be. NO WONDER IT HURT, it must of been out of socket slightly. I did it months ago putting on my back pack and getting it snagged on my jacket. The cure was just as freaky as the accident.
tom

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Cherries (certain types) seem to have isoflavonoids & flavonoids (again, these are found in dark beer, wine, etc...just not the structure found in cherries) that when oxidized, form compounds that block COX-1 & COX-2 enzymes (inflammation). It seems that a variously hydroxylated benzoic acid with at least one double bond on the cyclic component is most common, and the position of the double bond is of utmost importance.

The kicker is that these compounds are blocking pathways/enzymes that are already treated by Aspirin, Ibuprofen & all NSAIDS, and the COX-2 inhibitors (Celebrex, Vioxx, etc.) This raises the question as to whether or not it's even safe for say, the elderly, since it's obviously concentrated stuff and blocking the COX enzymes can lead to Acute Renal Failure, Hypertension, Salt Retention, and GI bleed (ulcers).

As a lot of people know, I'm reluctant to block the COX pathway (ie, I don't use a lot of Celebrex/Motrin), except in entirely healthy young people. I've had to dialyze people for taking a couple motrin. :scream: This does not apply to anyone here. We're talking about older people with chronic renal failure, congestive heart failure or cirrhosis of the liver. I'm worried about one of those types getting a hold of buckets of tart cherry juice and going at it.

The anthocyanins are potent antioxidants and harmless.
Melatonin is also a strong antioxidant, and present here...so maybe we should all start slamming cherry juice with our vodka @ supper (for sleep). ;)

I'd like to see prospective, double blind trials looking not only @ relief scores, but also at serum creatinine (kidney function). 3 arms: Juice, Motrin/Vioxx, Placebo.

ie, like everything...it's not clear.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Thanks Jack. I learn something new every day. :cool:

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
After trying the tart cherry juice for 2 months as suggested I have found it not to be helpful for my joint pains and I have several that hurt.
I have still heard from people that it is helpful in gout cases in nuetralizing the uratic(sp?) acid. I do not have the gout as I was tested for it.
I found that it tasted good with a packet of sweet and low and did enjoy the once a day drink I had.
Maybe Celebrex or another in that group may help me with what ails me.
tom

Top Bottom