TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Hi Guys,

I've done an extensive amount of cleaning on thsi 1990 KDX whilst waiting for various parts on order.

I've noticed now there is a slow tiny drip spot on the floor. Either it's oil... or some of the nooks and crannys that STILL have some dirt in 'em... maybe the dirt is draining the De-Greaser spray out now?

I was thinking perhaps some talcum powder might help me track down the beginning of the leak. You know how leaks can start one place... but travel around on their way down.

I just wanna make sure that I don't also need to replace the crank case seals... shift shaft seals... or whatever.

-G

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
Check your front drive sprocket.

You might have to install a new seal and spacer. If you do, make sure you pack everything full of grease when you have the sprocket, old spacer and seal off.

Last edited:

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
I had a 90 KDX 200 for about 5 yrs, sold it this summer.

Are you interested in a factory service maual ? owners manual ?

a few odd spare parts ?

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Is the seal behind the sprocket the usual suspect? Mine had a drop under it and I didn't know where it was from. I finally fixed the last of my fuel leaks so now I am on to oil.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Totally interested.. YES!!!

jssport said:
I had a 90 KDX 200 for about 5 yrs, sold it this summer.

Are you interested in a factory service maual ? owners manual ?

a few odd spare parts ?

That would be immensely helpful. I've decided that I want to try to do as much of the fixing-up work myself that I can... just to know that it's been done with TLC and done right.

That way I can have confidence in going balls-out. I hate when there is some part about the bike you're iffy about and as such won't allow yourself to fully push-it and do what you know you're capable of.. you know what I mean!?

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
How to steps listed... pleasey-please!

jssport said:
Check your front drive sprocket.

You might have to install a new seal and spacer. If you do, make sure you pack everything full of grease when you have the sprocket, old spacer and seal off.

If you can give me a break down of the major steps and "gotchas" one goes thru for this procedure

I would totally Cut and Paste that text into an email I would than send to my own account for safe-keeping and reference.

Before I've always had the shop do most maintenance. But this time I wanna go hands-on as much as is realistically possible.

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
emailing GDogg

I tried to email you but your profile won't allow it.

Change your options on "User CP"

replacing the drive sprocket oil seal and spacer is very straight forward

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Oh.. you don't have to email it to me directly... as I was saying I'll just cut-and-paste the text from your thread reply and put it into an email then send it to myself for safekeeping.

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
The drive sprocket oil seal and spacer is very straightforward, just dive in and it is apparent, there were no problems doing this simple procedure. Kaw still has exploded diagrams for everything on their website.

I wanted your email addy to discuss the manuals and parts I still have.

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
.... ok let's see.

- loosen rear wheel and move it forward to create slack in the chain.
- remove circlip on sprocket
- remove sprocket
- remove spacer (between seal and shaft)
- pull off the oil seal (I use a dental tool, needle nose pliers work too)
- pack the entire area with grease (I use Bel-Ray waterproof)
- install new seal (I use a socket to drive it flush with the case)
- put in new spacer (I have found old ones have wear marks/grooves)
- slide on sprocket with chain
- reattach circlip
- align rear wheel for aligment and chain tension
- ride it

this fixed my constant dripping off the drive shaft

Top Bottom