Tdc

oldrnyzr

Sep 2, 2004
Ok, here is a basic question.... Say on a CRF450, how do you know when you are at TDC on the compression stroke???

I have removed the cam sprocket and reshimed the needed amounts. The crank has moved some since then. Now installing the cam and chain, how do you know when you are at TDC on the compression stroke ???

I have the cam lobes in the right spot, and there is a bit of slack in the rocker arms, and am at the index mark on the crank like the manual says. Yet this could be set this way for the other three strokes as well,.... no??

Need schooling.....

Thanks. ;)

B

biglou

I'm not familiar with the Hondas. Can you change the indexing of the cam and its sprocket? Generally, there is a mark on the cam sprocket to align with some feature on the head (flat deck, pointer mark, etc.) while aligning an indicator on the crank to a mark on the case. There's only one time in the four strokes that both of these marks will line up. The cam turns only once for every two revolutions of the crank. Don't forget that the cam chain tensioner will slightly affect how the marks line up as well. On Yamahas, you really have no doubt when you're off even one tooth. The mark on either the cam or the crank won't even be close enough to be considered correctly aligned. I would think that if your cam sprocket has a definite index to the cam (can only be installed one way) and your marks are aligned, you are there. If you rotate the crank one revolution from this position, you'll find the cam turning 1/2 revolution and the valves will be in an open position of some sort.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
i see your concern. if you take the cam(s) out and then moved the crank you'll need to index TDC using the mark on the flywheel.

jimmy 420

Dec 7, 2005
well tdc on the comp. strok will be when all the valves r closed on the ex. stroke the exhaused valves will be open

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If the cams are out, just run the piston to the top of the stroke and line-up the mark on the flywheel. With the cams out (or head off), every revolution is TDC.

oldrnyzr

Sep 2, 2004
Thanks

Guys, thanks. Makes more sense now. I was also worried that the timming would be off too........ I now know that if the marks on the crank line up, and the marks on the camshaft, as Lou said; you're there. What I didn't know was that the bike fires on every crank revolution...... so it is hard to $#%*@ it up..... on purpose.... :laugh:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…