TE250 vs. TE450 Pro's and Con's of each

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Im wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are owning either the TE250(or any late model 250) and the TE450(or any large bore bike)? Im torn as to what I want to get.

I know rider has much to aid but I ask because guys on 250's seem like they have just as much pull away power as the big bores.
And if both bikes are similar in weight it may only be a matter of how nimble each bike is in comparison to each other. I PREFER THE MOST NIMBLE BIKE WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE POWER.

Bottom line, I ask myself if I really need a TE450 if a TE250 will do just as well for my 6'2" 210lbs butt?!
Right now I have a WXE360 which is great except for turning(which I seem to be squeezing every ounce from)

What'ch you think?

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
i HAVEN'T RIDDEN EITHER OF THE NEW HUSKY'S YET BUT I HAVE RIDDEN A WXE 360. IF YOU LIKE THAT BIKE IE: BIG SMOOTH TRACTABLE POWER ON DEMAND I WOULD SAY YOU SHOULD GO WITH THE BIG BORE THUMPER. 250 THUMPERS THAT I HAVE RIDDEN WR &RMZ ARE A BIT LACKING ON THE LOW END TRACTABILITY.

kboy

Oct 7, 2003
Hey, I own a 04 TC450, wich I have ridden a coupple of times.
It runs really really well, and it starts fine even after a upside-down crash.
I've just got it right jets sorted out: 185 main 35 pilot needleclip:5'th (from top) It made it pull harder/rev quicker. Im pleased with it!
Unfortunately I've never ridden a 250-F of any brand, but if you are like me, you like the smooth kind of riding, and thats where the husky450 really shines I think. It's more stable than a KTM, and the TE450 won the enduro world champs. this year. Good luck.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
At a recent event, I had to rescue 5 riders on a difficult, steep, technical hill. My (very tractable) Husky 360WXC was able to climb the hill in first gear low RPM, however it was at the limit of it's power. I could not go faster due to the technical nature of the hill. I personally could not climb a steeper hill (as the bike would flip), so the Husky had just enough power for the job.

I also rode a KTM400EXC up the hill and that bike required quite a bit of clutch slipping. It just did not have enough low end torque to motor up the hill. I have been led to believe that the 400cc 4 strokes were ideal for technical work. I now believe otherwise.

I have some seat time on WR250F's and YZ250F's, I suspect a 4 stroke 250 would not have the power to climb the hill no matter what. Without absurd gearing of course.

I understand that this is an unusual situation, however the fact remains that small bore 4 strokes are down on power compared to similar displacement 2 strokes.

Chris

Top Bottom