OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
Hey all,

Just bought myself a new TE400 and absolutely love it! I've had the muffler derestricted and jetting to match but l have on many occasions found the bike to stall after cracking the throttle over a few whop's.
What is a good quality exhaust for this bike that will give it a touch more power (but not the loudness of a WR) and a lighter weight?
I've seen Stefan Merriman's bike with a Giannelli system but can't seem to track them down?

J

WR360 now TE400 thumper:scream:

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
i would try to find a pro circuit catalog and see if you could get one through there (pro circuit used to be big into huskies). but enough about that, how does she run handle vs. previous rides. does it actually kick on the right now? how does she start etc. c'mon man give us husky freaks the details

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
I have the '01 TE400 and I'm enjoying it greatly. If you have the '02 TE400 your choices are going to be limited for a short time, I'm sure the after market comp. don't have any thing yet (considering the changes). But, if you have the '01 there are some options. The pro cir. pipe is only ava. through Husqvarna, that I know of. Big Gun has a pipe but is a on the loud side, White brothers has a pipe as well. There are some others but will likely have to contact them to find out if they do or not. I run the UpTight pipe which is made by UpTight Husqvarna here in the U.S. it is a good pipe and the guy is great to talk to, he is very helpful. If you would like any info on the UpTight pipe or a pic of the pipe just drop me an e-mail.

brown
bte4@hotmail.com

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
X-W is right FBF does have the pipe and all the husky shops can get them. But, you can not go through a pro cir. dealer (parts unlimited, rocky mount.) and get the pipe. You have to go through a husky shop.

brown

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
Brown: I just bought the 01' TE400 as the 02'TE400 won't be be released
in Australia until the end of the year to Jan plus there would be a 2mth wait - too long to wait!!!
On the exhaust issue, l've ordered a Gualdi exhaust system for the
baby on the advise of a local Husky racer. I've had the rear muffler derestricted and jetted accordingly but the OEM headers are also restrictive.

Dan: On the riding side, before l bought the TE400 after I had the opportunity to test a WR426, KTM400&520, DRZ and TE570/400 over a stretch of trails that sorts out a both rider and machine. Note, I was also comparing it to my 00' WR360.

Anyway here is the summary:

Motor/Gearing:
Not as peaky as the WR4 up top and not as strong in the bottom end compared to the DRZ or KTM5 but what it has over all these bikes is the incrediable spread of power that it is exceptional going up hills. Open tracks you can't beat the WR4 or KTM4 but again, the spread of even power allows the TE400 to be ridden at a constant speed rather than snapping the wrist quickly and then backing off. Though, the power cannot be compared to the 570 or 520 in terms off throwing bricks from the rear tyre.

Suspension:
Firm but not overly harsh, absorbs high speed bumps better then all of them with the KTM400, exceptional over low speed bumps and very sure footed. Over big jumps or drop offs, the bike can bottom out but this ain't a motox bike!

Weight:
Unbelievable, the TE400 is very agile when l compare it with the WR360, infact the TE400 and the TE570 felt similar but into goat tracks the weight difference was apparent. Compared to the KTM4 and WR4, l was quicker on the TE4 then these two bikes and the bike on the whole felt more stable then all the bikes. The DRZ is a good bike but felt wanting in the tight stuff.

Ground Clearance: Very good to Excellent.

Ergos:
Ergos are very comfortable, not as harsh as the Wr360 or KTM400 which a bit motoxy for me in terms of seat and the TE400/570 tend to have a flatter seat then the rest of the other bikes - on becomes apparent when descending down steep hills

Controls:
The brakes on the husky are 2nd to none, I was amazed that the KTM sported brembo's like the husky but they tend to lock up abit more. The front was very good but the WR4 is far superior. Instruments are there and the light is strong from the headlight.

Starting: Pain in the ass, the LH kicker is going to take some getting use to but from the kill switch, it's one kick due to the counter balancer. When the bike is hot, the bikes starts fairly quickly even without a hot start button (then again it's winter in Australia). I would love the electric strat of the KTM's or DRZ - maybe fit the 02' models electric kick start as a kit?

Overall:
Confidence, the TE400 gave me a lot of confidence compared to the other bikes, l was quicker, able to negotiate rocky hill climbs better the the rest and l never even thought about the weight, brakes etc, just the trail up ahead.
I will say that the vibration through the bike can and is annoying as it can give you numbness after a few hours.

Best of luck and this my opinion only!!

J

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
OZ, the bike will be a hard starter until you have about 250/300 mile on the bike. After that she will start pretty easy as long as the jetting is good. What I do with my TE4 is run 1/3 race/pump gas and after every ride drain the carb with the drain bolt. Then when I go riding next time, turn the gas on lay the bike over to the left then right. Then she will start in 1 to 3 kicks. Have fun with it!

brown

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
I've owned a 2001 te400 since Feb. To get a good gain in low end power take out the backfire screen in the air box. Makes a noticeable difference. If you don't wash your air filter in gas , the screen won't make any difference anyway.

Top Bottom