Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I've just added to the Montesa squad size. Just got back from the Lewissports winter wonderland. I bought a 99' Montesa that is in excellent condition. Such a shame that I'm going to scare this bike up.

I was sold on this bike when I was able to balance it, for more than 30 seconds. I never could balance the old Fantic.

The added bonus is that it has brakes, suspension, a motor that runs for more than 15 minutes.

I test rode it in the snow! :scream: I really hate to have to get this bike dirty.

If getting a 4 stroke is going over to the dark side, what are we doing?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Congratulations John!!! If you want, I can put the first scars on it, lol. ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
We're on the "well balanced" side :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I practice being "unbalanced" so much I consider it normal :laugh:

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Well it certainly looks clean and shiny!! You'll have to go out and get practicing - congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the wobblers club :)

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I don't think I'm good enough to be in the wobblers club. I usually approach, attack, fall off, take a 5, then slink away.

Practicing in my backyard the difference between the Monty and worn out Fantic, is huge. The Fantic is worn out, the Monty very tight. Balancing, making full lock turns, are almost no effort when compared to the Fantic. My enthusiaism is renewed. :yeehaw:

Just playing around I found that I'm going to have to get the slow turn throttle.

I need to go out to one of the nearest trials sites to practice on sections that intiimated me last time I competed.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
If the slow throttle doesn't slow things down enough for you there is a thread in the Monty forum on Trials Central on how to change the ignition timing. The article describes how to advance the ignition timing which would make the bike more peppy, but there is no reason that you couldn't go the other way and retard the ignition timing a little bit to slow the bike down a little bit.

Theres nothing wrong with 'slinking away' - it one of my patented moves.

Theres nothing better than a new bike to regain some interest in trials, and the riders that I know that have moved up to a newer bike all seem to move up several levels of skill and confidence very shortly afterwards. I think that because its a new toy, you naturally want to go out and play a bit more, which sounds suspiciously like the 'practice' word...... So go and play, practice and get stuck in - you will be rewarded with better performance!

Its a bit of a worry as my main competition (riders in my class at my club who are better than me, and the benchsticks which I was measuring myself against) have moved up into the next class. This means that I can either stay as I am as possibly 'win' the grade occasionally (with the expected razzing from them about being a burgler), or push myself to go and join them. Over the Xmas break I have given my bike a bit of a birthday, with lots of new parts, tyres, chain and sprockets, and the whole rear end off a '04 model bike (which should be here in the next week or so). This means that the bike should be ready to go, its just the body and the mind that'll take a bit of convincing - it is the second to hardest line at our local club level which is a bit scary.

I want to emphasis that just because the bike will be looking good and shiny that theres no excuse not to go and find the biggest heap of rocks to hurl it at :)

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Wayne,
Thanks for the Trials Central web site reference. I'm surprised with the amount of Trials sites.

Hurling the bike at obstacles will not be a problem, within my capabilities.

I've been watching a couple of Trials TV DVD's the last week. I think I have absorbed some technique. My goal for this year is move up one catagory. Presently I'm at the second lowest level the local club has.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
The other training video to look at closely is the Ryan Young one. It is very good and thorough, covering all of the basics and most of the expert stuff too. Just pick a topic, watch and learn and then go out and practice it until you consistently think that it feels right. (Generally bruising is a strong indication that you are not doing something right - I know as I've earnt a few)

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I have the Ryan Young DVD.

I'm going to watch the appropriate chapters before I go and practice. Splattering a 7' rock, will not be a chapter I will be replaying. I may wear out the first couple of chapters. The day I can do the flip turn over a log, I may have a stroke. :laugh:

I wish Ryan would of had a chapter of him trail riding. While riding the XR he was playing around with in the start of the DVD using trials techniques on trail obstacles that you would find in the average enduro. :worship:

Brewster

Dec 2, 2001
I bought my first trial bike last summer, a 2002 Monty. I recently replaced the reeds with Boysen Reeds. This smoothed out the low RPM range. The bike came with the slow throttle.

Ride on
Brewster

Originally posted by wayneg
If the slow throttle doesn't slow things down enough for you there is a thread in the Monty forum on Trials Central on how to change the ignition timing. The article describes how to advance the ignition timing which would make the bike more peppy, but there is no reason that you couldn't go the other way and retard the ignition timing a little bit to slow the bike down a little bit.

Top Bottom