Team USA 2005 Confirmed for the MXdN

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
From RacerX:

Ricky Carmichael, Kevin Windham, and Mike Brown have officially been named Team USA 2005.

AMA Pro Racing held a press conference Saturday afternoon at the Thunder Valley National to confirm Carmichael, Windham, and Brown are going to represent their country in Ernee, France, on Sept 24-25. After months of speculation and rumor (and the usual internet message-board wars), Team USA 2005 is settled at last.

For RC, this is another chance for him to show Stefan Everts who is the world's fastest, and this time he wants USA to take the overall. Mike Brown was picked for the team in 2001, but the trip was cancelled due to Sept. 11, so at last he gets another chance. Kevin Windham is known as the guy who just doesn't like to travel, but it looks like American Honda, Amsoil/Chaparral Honda, and Windham got together and decided it would be best to go.

Brown will race MX2, RC will race MX1, and Windham will race MX3/Open. It has not yet been decided who will prepare Brown's bike, but it looks like he will get plenty of support.
The team manager is once again Makita Suzuki's Roger DeCoster, who also spoke at the press conference and talked about the extra work this event takes. He confirmed that it takes an extra two or three weeks, and says it’s hard to schedule in because of the expanding domestic schedule, but he added, "There is a business side and a sport side, and we shouldn't forget the sport side."

We couldn't agree more.

:cool:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I'm happy for Brownie. He'll get the chance to show everybody what he could have done in MX2 given the proper support. Go get 'em Brownie.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Just saw that on AMAMotocross.com

http://www.amamotocross.com/article.php?UID=RgxfvlUgeD63mSvwSyziSWvvnsYWiK&sc=1003&aid=6542

AMA Pro Motocross Manager Steve Whitelock proudly introduced the 2005 Motocross Des Nations team late this afternoon at an impromptu press conference. The USA Team in 2005 will be comprised of Team Manager Roger DeCoster, Ricky Carmichael, Mike Brown and Kevin Windham.

During the press conference it was said that Team Makita Suzuki’s Ricky Carmichael will race the premier 250 class, with Amsoil Chaparral Honda rider Kevin Windham in the 500 class, and Mike Brown filling the spot in the 125 class. The race is scheduled for late September in France.

Steve Whitelock confessed to me earlier in the day that he would be making an important announcement this weekend – and that’s just what it was. Popular rumors in the pits had Ricky Carmichael and Roger DeCoster meeting with Kevin Windham today – to convince him to go! While the entire 2005 team is eager to go, everyone needs to understand that it does take critical time away from pre-season testing.

Neato.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
K-DUB Steps up!!! Very cool...

You're right Bruce, RC and Windham have always been known for crashing out, hopefully they can stay in the top 10.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Okiewan said:
K-DUB Steps up!!! Very cool...

You're right Bruce, RC and Windham have always been known for crashing out, hopefully they can stay in the top 10.

errrrrrrrrrrr? where did i say they would crash out?

i will make it clearer for the hard of understanding (Okie).

I cant see USA loosing, except for the unlikely event that RC, MB or KW crash or breakdown.

anyhow, in years gone by when the US could get a team there, the race didnt matter. I assume it matters now?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think thats a real strong team and it should be interesting how the others do, we brits will probably have reasononable team but not IMO capable of winning-it could be just like 94 however?

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
finally ! The rest of the world teams are no slouches, but these guys should do us proud,

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The US team is certainly looking pretty strong, but Everts, Ramon, Smets(or Melotte, if none of the grown-ups will ride the 250F) for Belgium and Coppins, Townley for NZ are not looking too shabby either. If Reed comes over, McFarlane could probably do pretty well on a big bike as well.

I think two worst finishes are still dropped (so those will be Brown´s, in the best case scenario of KW and RC finishing where they should) and it is not impossible for, say, Coppings and Townley to finish between RC and KW.

Last edited:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Cool, I get to cheer for 2 teams! Usa wins with NZ second!

For an underdog nation I hope Juss puts in a good show for Estonia too.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Way to go guys!!! RC has been very vocal about wanting to do this and that he thought Brownie deserves to go. I am very impressed that KDub committed to the team as well. Will this air on OLN or what?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
awwww maannnn it looks like the g5 makes it a little too easy to post .mov files :think: :)

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Okiewan said:
Will it air on OLN? Sure just do this for a year or two:
Click Me.
That is too funny Okie. TV coverage of MX has reached an all time low. Texas hold 'em poker gets more coverage than MX.

I am seriously thinking about flying over for the MXdN does anybody know of any package deals being offered? That is probably the only way to see the race.

Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
Yeah I reckon NZ could be THE team this year. Coppins is flying right now and Townley is looking real good this year. Im sure RC will win the race but will Team USA mange it? Time will tell!

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
According to RacerX Brown is out. No explanation.

Brown off of Team USA?

Racer X received this email last night from Dan Dilkey, the manager for Mike Brown:

Following a meeting regarding the Motocross des Nations last Sunday at Binghamton, New York that included Kevin Windham, Ricky Carmichael, Roger DeCoster, and Steve Whitelock of the AMA (and not Mike Brown), and while smack-dab in the middle of preparations for his Motocross des Nations effort, Mike Brown was informed by the AMA this afternoon that he will not be a member of the 2005 US Team as previously announced. With all personal and sponsor reservations confirmed Mike must now unwind those efforts, personally absorb the cost of all those reservations and preparations, and stay home.

Apparently, the decision to remove Brownie from this year’s Team came from Kevin Windham, Ricky Carmichael, and Steve Whitelock. Completely caught off-guard by the decision especially considering that this effort is all on Brown’s coin, Mike was totally pumped to finally be realizing his MXDN dreams. However, with those dreams now shattered Brownie must focus on finishing up this year’s National Series on a positive note, and then look towards preparing for the 2006 AMA 250 Supercross and 125 National Motocross Series, which he’ll be riding.

Brownie only hopes that his replacement (whoever that may be) will be 110% dedicated and committed to this effort as he was and wishes the rest of the US Team the best of luck in their effort to bring the MXDN trophy back home to the US, which is where it belongs.

Mike, his Team, and his family would like to thank all of their sponsors and fans for their support of Mike’s 2005 efforts, as follows: Ken and Kirk Hayes and the entire staff at JIM’S Motorcycle Sales, Parts Unlimited, Thor, Randy Richardson and Michelin, Deluge Spring Water, HJC Helmets, Utopia, Alpinestars, Renthal, Etnie’s Shoes, N-Style, Tokyo Mods, Vortex Ignitions, Plasticwerks, Haan Wheels, Big Minis, SDG, Bel Ray, Honda Red Rider’s Club, and The Netwerk, LLC.

Stay tuned to Racer X Online for more on this breaking story

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sucks for Brown. His early season results were impressive, but he's struggled a bit lately.

I wonder who they have lined up to replace him. No way they would cut Brown loose unless they have a firm commitment from a replacement rider - probably someone who is ahead of him in the standings (Hot Sauce, Alessi, Short and Grant). Maybe Tedesco will make his Suzuki debut at the MXdN?

FWIW, I just went to the AMA site and they have an interview dated today, August 24! Obviously they talked to Brown at Broome Tioga, and the possibility he might be off the team was not even discussed. In the interview he was asked about being on the team.

I cut and pasted a portion below....

AMA Website Reporter: Are you still down spending a lot of time with Carmichael?

Mike Brown: Yeah I haven’t been home at all. After Washougal, I went back to California and did some testing on my bike and got it back to where I think it should be; then straight back to Carmichael’s where I’ve been staying ever since Mt. Morris. I think it would be great for me to go home a little bit and get a break; but its good training with Ricky for sure. He knows what it takes to win.

AMA Website Reporter: Let’s hear a little bit about your thoughts about being selected for the Motocross Des Nations team. I know you were selected in the past but the team didn’t end up going; what does it mean to go over to Europe?

Mike Brown: Sure, it’s awesome to be a part of it; especially to be picked again. It’s been five or six years ago, since when I was originally picked, but that’s awesome. Ever since I was a kid I’ve always watched the Motocross Des Nations and kept on top of them. The first one I went to was in ’87 to watch Bob Hannah and the team at Unadilla. It’s great for sure to get picked; a lot of people might be doubting that the way I’ve been riding, but I have had a few more problems than the others, that’s making me ride that way. I’m excited; I think it’s going to be great and I have a lot to prove when I get over there. I’m sure we’ve got a good team; I don’t think anyone should be doubting the way I’ll be riding over there -- I know the tracks and I’ll be ready.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I had a feeling this was in the works.... in the Racer X Monday conversation with Windham, this was one of the questions:

You guys [RC, Whitelock, and DeCoster] had a meeting after the press conference. Did you talk about the des Nations?
Yeah, we did. I officially can’t comment on that. It was a decent meeting, and we’re pretty excited about it. It will be good.

Seemed pretty obvious Racer X knew Brown wasn't in the meeting. And K-Dub with his "I officially can't comment... it will be good" it seemed to be a possibility that Brown was out. Kinda sucks for Brownie.... but I don't understand his late season "slide" either. He sure came out swinging in the first few races.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
here is the official story on brown. :blah:

Team USA MXoN Lineup Changed
August 24, 2005

AMA Pro Racing press release

AMA Pro Racing confirmed today that the lineup for the American team representing the United States at the 2005 Motocross of Nations (MXoN) has been changed. Riders Ricky Carmichael and Kevin Windham remain on the team and Ivan Tedesco has been added to replace Mike Brown.

The 2005 MXoN will be held on September 25, at Ernee, France.

AMA Pro Racing MX/SX Series Manager Steve Whitelock made the announcement and said the change was made in consultation with the team.

“Over the past couple of weeks Ricky, Kevin and Roger (De Coster, Team Manager) had expressed some concerns to me. At Binghamton last Sunday we discussed it again,” said Whitelock. “Obviously this is a very tough call to make but everyone agreed that we have to do what’s in the best interest of the American effort.”

Whitelock stated that he spoke to Brown about the situation at Binghamton on Sunday and then again Monday.

“Mike Brown is an accomplished rider and everyone appreciates the commitment he made to supporting the team,” said Whitelock. “Ultimately, however, we have to send the team that has the greatest chance of success and that is what drove us to make this difficult decision.”

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Wow..... umm, go hot sauce.

Top Bottom