Tech 8 buckles- WHY?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Why do 1/2 of the buckles on Tech 8's face in and the other 1/2 face out? What's the logic there? Personally, I think it's a small hassle and I'd rather have them all facing to the rear, esp. for off-roading..

Just curious, though....

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
NM_KDX200 said:
Why do 1/2 of the buckles on Tech 8's face in and the other 1/2 face out? What's the logic there? Personally, I think it's a small hassle and I'd rather have them all facing to the rear, esp. for off-roading..

Just curious, though....

I was considering after I read this that the reason was to provide support in two directions, instead of only one, then I realized the stupid flaw in that thinking since tension was provided already in two directions and the buckle direction made no difference at all since the only important factor is that the strap is anchored in two places...

Thinking on it some more I can only offer two other reasons...

1) There is some design or manufacturing process that makes it easier/cheaper/efficient to have half the buckles go one way and half the other... (maybe as they are installing the buckles, flipping it over at some point makes the process easier)

or...

2) They think it just looks more cool that way

heh

Feanor

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Noticed that in a shop this past weekend. Wondered if the forward opening buckles will get snagged and opened by brush/rocks etc. Another reason to dream about Sidi's for my next pair.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Alpinestars realized that it wasn't fair to always cator to only the right handed people so they decided to mix it up a bit. Or maybe there is some other reason, I don't know. When I first got mine it was a pain, but after a while, you don't even notice.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Ever go into a first turn & have a front wheel unbuckle a couple of straps on your boot? I have, it sucks. At least with A*'s you will probably only have 1 buckle undone.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…