justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Guys,

I have a little problem with my laptop from work. I trust the guys on drn and know many of you are plenty smart enough to walk me through this.

Brought it home and have now have got a nasty little virus that keeps poping up and says I need to buy virus protection(duh) I cannot go anywhere or do anything on my user name. I have two user names on the computer, two different work areas. It does not appear to affect this account.

I can see a location of where program is when I check properties. Thought I could cut and paste it here but obviously was wrong. It is under the other accounts name inm the c drive. I'll write down the location on a piece of paper adn post it here if needed. I cannot seem to get to the location as of yet.

I could walk in monday and give it to the tech at work but hate to bother him and secondly I'd like to use the thing this long wekend. Any ideas?? and yes I know there should be some sort of protection, thats a question I will ask the tech.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Justin:

I just had the same type virus hit my laptop and it cost me a reformat to get it straightened out.

I am still rebuilding the program customization and such and likely will be for a while.

The guy that fixed my computer said that the virus guys are creating movie files that make it look like things are really bad and insert a pop up on to that tells you that you need to upgrade your virus software. Click here and send us $29.95 via CC and we will get you fixed up. The problem appears to be that once you give them you CC number and the security code on the back your card will be maxed out within hours.

In my case, the only simple way to solve the problem was reformat. It had attacked my virus software, which is AVG. The crazy part is AVG is supposed to be one of the best, but Warren said it takes three or four days to make a flu shot that works consistently while the virus guys are now starting to change their virus signatures multiple times a day.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Try starting the computer in SAFE MODE and then do a system restore.

To get to SAFE MODE, restart the computer and keep pressing F8 until a menu screen comes up, then choose to start in SAFE MODE.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Yep Tony thats what it does. I started in safe mode, was able to get rid of cookies and the annoying popups. Was also able to move word files to a disk.
Now I am still having a couple of issues. Cannot connect to internet.

I also get a window saying that I need to insert disc to install a program (pdf maker) that I already have installed . I figure if I get the disc at work I can reinstall this program. I cannot remove this program, it will not allow me to remove it.

If I delete IE can it be reinstalled??? Would this solve the issue.
In my attempts to rid the computer of this I have removed tons of things, some of which I might need in the way of programs and files. if they looked suspicious there gone.

At least I got some of the files I really need off. Will the files I pulled of be infected?

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
My wife had something like this on her computer, we used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to get rid of it. It worked on the first shot and it's free! :)

Click me!

Basically download it, run it and let it self update. Then scan your computer and you should be good to go.

Ad-Aware from Lava Soft is another great free virus scanner that we use.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Kav, I owe you! :cool:

This must be going around, kinda like well, a virus :pissed:

I got it 3 days ago on the home PC, been trying to shake it, then read your post today at work. Just ran it, IT'S GONE. Thanks again!!

BTW, I used the MALWAREBYTES.ANTIMALWARE one that you listed.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
you might also try a program called "combofix." many of the issues above are actually not viruses, but spam (which isnt necessarily caught by anti-virus programs). The problems with IE make me think that could very well be the issue. Combo fix is free, and takes about 10 minutes to run. I have had excellent results across our school campus and have used this program to address around a dozen pc's thus far.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Good to hear from you Lorin. After following Vics recommendation I got it close. Took it in to the tech he installed the malware mentioned above. Runs great now. Thanks everyone. :ride:

Top Bottom