Technique for clearing slippery angled roots/logs

geir54

Oct 30, 2001
Do you guys have any advice for hitting roots and logs in the rain that are on angles? I know you're supposed to hit them straight on but somtimes its just impossible and I never seem to have confidence because it's usually the one that doesnt look bad that throws my front end completely sidways. My bike is a 2000 ktm 125sx. Any advice would be appreceated.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Well, if you have room... wheelie over with the front, suck in the clutch and don't touch the brake for the rear. The idea is you (edit) shouldn't have any power or brake on the tire going over. The back should just kick up and over. Even still, it's a risky operation.. Prefer to do the same thing with a straight shot.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Look for a branch or knot that will keep your tire from sliding along. Get as perpendicular to the log as possible. Try to wheelie over them where possible, from a slow start. Be ready to get your foot down quick in case the rear wheel slides along it. With practice it's not too difficult to predict how far the rear will slide along most diagonal logs before popping over, and stay standing on the pegs moving your weight to compensate for the slide.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I try to coast over them, so Im not on the throttle which prevents the wheel from spinning. Go fairly fast up them, either wheelie the front wheel over or let the forks suck it up (depending on how big the log is) and just let the back wheel roll over it.

geir54

Oct 30, 2001
It's mostly the front tire Im having problems with. There usualy isn't a lot of room and it's twisty singltrack so wheelying isn't always an option. Should I try to keep my weight forward or back or does it matter? what about adjusting my forks. I never really had this problem on my old cr250. Durring my last ride I ran straight into a tree after sliding on its root and another time I got tossed right off the trail and down a bank.

colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
If you dont have much room try to brake slide in, this can help you to get perpendicular to it. If that doesn't work, do what I do, get off and push it over. :D

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I find the less weight I have on the front wheel, the less likely it is to go sideways on a diagonal log or root. Wheelying would be ideal but just trying to wheelie by moving weight back and tugging on the bars is usually enough. If you have suspension troubles, I would think it would be more noticable while cornering than on log crossings...

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Another technique would be to stop in front of the log with your front wheel touching the log. Sit back on the seat, slip the clutch and help the front tire clear the log. Now roll forward until the rear tire comes in contact with the log. Sit forward, slip the clutch and give some help with your legs (standing on the log will help give you some leverage).

This may not be the fastest way across but you won’t have to pick the bike up off the ground.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Originally posted by bud
With practice it's not too difficult to predict how far the rear will slide along most diagonal logs before popping over, and stay standing on the pegs moving your weight to compensate for the slide.

Elaborate please!! Is this one of those counter intuitive things like driving in the snow, i.e. turn into the slide.
On the bike would you shift your weight in the direction of the slide to keep your weight centered on the bike. Or shift your weight onto the front of the bike and let the back end waggle around?? I'm guessing you mean the first.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It’s not that it’s counter intuitive, it’s just a learned technique.

In simple terms you need to apply weight to the pegs in the direction that you want to go. For example, if your rear tire were to slide from center to left, you would apply pressure to the pegs, using your body weight, to cease and correct the unwanted movement. Clamping the tank with your legs is very helpful in “steering” the bike in the direction that you WANT the rear tire to go in.

So in the above example where I want to steer the tire to the right, I would clamp the tank with my knees and sway my lower legs (using body weight) to the right. When the bike was centered I would neutralize the weight-shift.

The explanation is much longer than the actual practice because it all happens in a second.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom