2fiddyEXC2T

May 4, 2008
hi well i have a few questions i guess. i'm a 16 year old trail rider i'm about 60kg and 5ft11 intermediate and i would like to know what kind of training i can do to improve my bike fitness other than seat time. i ride a 2000 Ktm 250exc which is a lot of bike to throw around in the tight stuff and i would like to know what types of exercises i can do to improve myself which are safe because i know weight lifting at a certain age will stunt your growth also i ride a lot of Bmx 7 days a week so i have the whole push bike thing down. mtbs are out of the question so yeah thank you in advance. :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Any aerobic activity will help your stamina, but nothing will use the same sets of muscles in the same way as riding. So....ride!

I've ridden with people who were in much better overall shape and afterwards they were surprised by how much more sore and tired they were than I was.

2fiddyEXC2T

May 4, 2008
hey thanks for the reply is it possible for anyone else to go a bit more in depth for me or post there training schedules so i can get a bit of an idea

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
Any aerobic activity will help your stamina, but nothing will use the same sets of muscles in the same way as riding. So....ride!

I've ridden with people who were in much better overall shape and afterwards they were surprised by how much more sore and tired they were than I was.

Hey what do you mean? You're in shape. :whoa: Round is a shape. :ohmy: :laugh:

Gomer is correct. The muscles you get while riding are the muscles you need. Weight training at the gym will not necessarily help you. If you notice, many fast racers are skinny little guys without a lot of bulk.

Aerobic activity like bicycling will help you to have the stamina that you need. Road cycling or stationary bike. It will also help build up your legs but doesn't break down your joints like running does.

Seat time and more seat time is IMO the best way to build your body.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
aerobics and bike time is definately the best...... but what I used to do is, to think about what muscles you use and how they are being used, for my arms and chest I would set a chin up bar so I could do pull ups while lying down and also push ups,squat thrusts and lots of sit ups.....maybe a thigh master?

my all time favorite exercise though was to run across the room and jump as high as I can crouching my legs up a bit my one hand between my feet the other one straight out as I hit the wall ...........that way I can maintain perfect form of the flying W when I lose it in the whoops :rotfl:

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
jsantapau said:
my all time favorite exercise though was to run across the room and jump as high as I can crouching my legs up a bit my one hand between my feet the other one straight out as I hit the wall ...........that way I can maintain perfect form of the flying W when I lose it in the whoops :rotfl:

Thats Hillarious!! Tell ya what though, nothing can stop an injury like knowing how to fall properly. Ive been snowboarding, bmxing and mtbing for years and If I didnt know how to fall properly I probably wouldve been injured alot more often.

Then Theres the case of my dumbazz riding through the sub without boots on and beefing it and the bike landing on my foot. Sprained ankles suck!

But back on topic. I havent been riding that long but im a little guy, 5'8" 130 but very fit and lift weights on a regular basis. I havent found a workout yet that substitues for seat time. So I concur, GO RIDE!!!

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
What side of Melb' do you ride on? Don't forget if you're doing chin ups to have your hands as wide apart as when your on a bike, big difference to standard chinups and makes looooong steeep hills easier.

digifox

May 25, 2006
SWIM!

An "aquatic" workout *Swimming* works every single muscle in your body.
It will also help build stamina.
And Of coarse Seat time.

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
Seat time first.
BMX is a great alternative and builds cardio.
As far as exercises, You want to build a strong, resistant core. Meaning back abs legs and then arms. The last two can come with more riding time on both bmx and mx. A strong back and abs will allow you to manipulate the bike easier where as arms and legs are needed for stamina.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I too have often wondered how to 'train' my two teen-age daughters. Methods derived from dog training have not worked very well. :bang: :yell:

Riding more; I like the idea! :cool: :) :ride:

Top Bottom