tell me what you think might be the problem

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
alright i am trying to get the bike jetted right. right now the bike is sputtering alot and when i am in 4 and 5th gear it bike revs out real quick and wont go like a 250sx is supposted to go. It almost feels like i am in 3rd gear when i am in 5th. i am riding at 300-500 above sea level. 42pj, 170 main, jb blue middle clip, AS 1 turn out. Should i go down on the PJ?

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
sounds like you need more air- try another turn out on the air jet before changing
try 2 -2.5 turns out and see how it does
is it rich from the bottom all the way through the throttle? im assuming it is
just curious whats the plug look like in 5th after reving it out?

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
KTM puts a really nice jetting chart in their manuals. Refer to that to get close and fine tune from there. Kind of sounds like the main jet may be too small? You can have similar issues with a plugged muffler (old packing saturated with 2-stroke spooge and water) or maybe if the sparkplug is on the fritz or is gapped incorrectly.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
jtm994 said:
alright i am trying to get the bike jetted right. right now the bike is sputtering alot and when i am in 4 and 5th gear it bike revs out real quick and wont go like a 250sx is supposted to go. It almost feels like i am in 3rd gear when i am in 5th. i am riding at 300-500 above sea level. 42pj, 170 main, jb blue middle clip, AS 1 turn out. Should i go down on the PJ?
I cleaned the air filter, checked the float level which was good, and took the carb apart and cleaned all the jets ect. now i have the reed off and i am not sure what i am supposted to look at. Do i look at the black peices that look like carbon fiber for cracks, chips, and frayed? What is it supposted to look like on the inside of it? Am i supposted to see any light coming through or what?

woodsrider200

Mar 10, 2007
Problem

JTM,check the reed's for crack's and split's.Make sure the end's arent frayed.As for the jetting,it sound's like it's really lean. Try to fatten it up on the 1/2 to full throttle jet's according to what style of carb you have.It's much better to change plug's than bore a cyl.Good luck,Bill.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Lower bearing inspection.

Okay I am in the process of doing the top end on my bike. After taking off the cylinder I noticed that the piston is scored all to hell. I inspected the cylinder and there where very very tiny groves in it. I'm going to take it up to the shop tomarrow and see what they say about. But to my question. What am I looking for when inspecing a lower bearing. I have some side to side movement. And as far as up and down movement I have some but it's so small that it's hard to notice. But if I hold the rod a certain way there is no movement. So what exactly is it that I'm looking for when examining the lower bearings. Also does anyone know how much it would cost (roughly) to put a new bearing in the bottom end if I took the motor out of the bike and took it up to the shop. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom