azrael888

Aug 30, 2005
Man I recently purchased a 2000 yz426F.

1. the nitrogen tanks empty on the rear shock so i got to get that fixed.

2. The last few times I've been riding the thing the coolant has been boiling out like crazy (engine overheating?)

3. I did not know that you had to change the oil every two rides or so, so when i went to change the oil the magnetic drain plug had ALL KINDS of metal shavings that formed a "bush" of metal on top of it. The oil filter was completly full of metal (well not like completly but there was alot) and the oil was gray.

Now. the nitrogen things not a big deal because i can have the repair shop go at it for a fixed rate of $155 to fill and reseal or whatever.

I've recently changed the oil twice..using pennzoil 20W-50. I changed the oil filter. And I put engine ice in it. Cranked that thing up and it went from cold to smoking the oil off the engine crank in 30 secs. (you know how you get oil on the cover when you do an oil change no ones perfect right?!)

Anyway my buddys all like WHOA your engine should not get THAT hot THAT quick. So now I'm freaked. I'm getting one of those laser point temperature readers to see what temp my bike idles at and how hot it gets from a "normal" ride.

I guess my question is How fast do your bikes get hot? What temp are they rolling at? And what might i look at if i take my engine apart to see if it is overheating due to a malfunctioning part and/or blockage in the cooling process?

Thanks for any help in advance.

W00TsP0P

Jan 18, 2005
Metal Shavings!

Sounds like you have found the source of your overheating problem already. You might want to look inside that engine to see where the metal is coming from before it is too late.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
i can attest from being around these for a couple years that they get super hot, super fast. I can't give you an estimate on the proper operating temp but I can tell you that we used to let them idle at night for a very short period and watch the headpipe turn bright orange.....they are high performance 4 strokes - they run hoooooot

Top Bottom