Terrible, Terrible mistake after top end job, HELP

motox

May 21, 2001
Ok, I don't have to say I am a newbie, but I am. I rebuilt my top end last week. Piston, rings, power valves etc. All went well. Since then I have ran about 6 gallons of gas through the new top end. To my horror I discovered I have been mixing Yamalube 2 stroke oil (for outboards) instead of Yamalube for dirtbikes and four wheelers. It smoked a lot. I mean a lot. Today I drained everything and mixed MC1 into it. Cranked, ran fine, fouled 2 plugs and now I have about 90% less smoke and about 15% more power. My question, How much, if any damage, did I do, and what should I do now, if anything. Spanky250, hope you can help since we ride similar scoots, and you seem very knowledgeable. Mine is a 1992 KDX 200.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It won't make any difference. Outboard oil may not be the best choice but it certainly won't hurt anything.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
when I bought my YZ the dealer gave me 4 bottles of that stuff too! I think they wanted to push cheap garbage on me,
my friends would not ride infront of them! when I warmed up my bike my driveway would have 600,252 dead misquitos on it!! then after a month I changed so don't worry!

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by motox
Spanky250, hope you can help since we ride similar scoots, and you seem very knowledgeable. Mine is a 1992 KDX 200.
As everybody before me told you, you will be fine. Not the perfect choice of oil, but it won't hurt anything, it's still for two-strokes. Our bikes are not very much alike, however. Your engine has more in common with a KX 125 than it does with mine, other than being a two-stroke.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
these bikes are nearly bulletproof. I've seen people put these bikes through it all with zero maintenance and somehow they still manage to run. I think my neighbor actually tried to blow his up for the 3 or 4 months he had it, he was unsuccessful as the bike still ran perfectly when he got rid of it.

wanrep

Sponsoring Member
Aug 21, 2001
For what it's worth:
I've been running 2-stroke dirt bike mix in my chain saw and weedeaters for 5 years. They run better and I haven't even had to change a spark plug yet.

motox

May 21, 2001
Thanks for all the replys. It's good to know I didn't totally mess up after putting all that money and time into the top end. It still seems to be running rich and fouling plugs occasionally during warm-up. I'll use Eric Gorr's tuning tips to try and make it right.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by Zenith
So can I assume it would be OK for me to run dirtbike 2 stroke oil in my 2 stroke chainsaw?
That's where my old pre-mix goes.:cool: It might be too old for my bike, but tools don't care.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
My four-stroke pressure washer does not seem to mind C-12 or MR-2 mixed with motul oil.:scream: Sure smells mighty nice while I wash the bike. Reminds me of the track.:confused:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Dude, unless you were running Mazola corn oil, you'll be OK.

(gross exageration Rich, you know what I mean) :)

Top Bottom