Thanks KDX

weber.s

Mar 26, 2003
I have been riding Kdx`s for 7 years now, I have been the proud owner of three. My 2002 Kdx has won me the 200cc championship and third overall (Provincial Off Road Championship). I also got second place in the Enduro champs. Wow what a bike, never gave me any problems, always finished every race, very forgiving in the tight situations. I have finished two Roof Of Africa`s, known as the most difficult race in the World (Fact). I really cant fault this bike.....only one problem, not fast enough!! I know!! ye all going to say ...my kdx will kick any bikes ass ect ect. I have done all the mods, got all the extras, the truth of the matter is the new Ktm`s are faster, if you want to finish every race buy a Kdx, if you want to win buy a Ktm.
I have made a decision to change to another bike, only to remain competitive in the championship. I have my mind on three bikes, KTM300EXC, TM250, VOR 450, the TM and VOR are Itialian bikes, completely race ready, as is the Ktm. I have ridden all three these bikes, very nice bikes. I will be racing in a different class, but all these bikes are very good all rounders.It`s just that time to move on, hope I wont be sorry, I will always talk highly of the Kdx 200, the best bike ever made.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
You must have beaten alot of those "faster" bikes on the KDX to have taken a 3rd overall?

You said "if you want to win buy a Ktm". Then why are you looking at VOR or TM? Don't you want to win?

I'm confused as to why you would say you need a KTM to win when you have a 200cc champoinship on a KDX. To win something like that I would assume you would have to pass alot of KTM 200's.

weber.s

Mar 26, 2003
To FLYING W

The championship is determined by the amount of points accumelated at the end of a season consisting of 36 races. You recieve points for competing in an event, whether you come first or last, you are given points per place acchieved, you also get (Bonus) point for time trial stages. I have not won every race I`ve done, some 2nds, 3drs, 4th`s ect, what put me ahead of my closest rival (who rides a 2003 ktm), is the fact that due to sponserships I was able to attend all races on the Provincial calander, and also the fact that I only had one DNF (did not finish) due to a crash.Most of the races I did not get a first place was purely due to the lack of speed, as these races are fast low technical races, therefore called Off Road Races and not Enduro`s which are slow technical races. I do more Off Road Races than I do Enduros, that is why I feel I need to change to a different bike even if it means I have to change classes. As an Enduro bike KDX is the best, because weight, low down torque, climbing abillity counts, as well as a lot of rider skill. The reason I am looking at the TM and VOR is the sole agents for these bikes are based in my home town, and offer great race support, spares are easyto get hold of and they are offering me partial sponsership which meant cheaper price on the bike. I have ridden both bikes and they are really nice, takes a bit of getting used to the weight and power differences, but very good in all situations. The TM is a 2 stroke, which I like a lot, the VOR is a 4 stroke, which is a totally different ride, but very fast and nice even power distribution. Like I said, I just need to move on , the fact is that for the type of riding I do the KDX is not very compeditive.Take Care

Wild Raven

Aug 4, 2004
Kdx 220

I have a 1997 KDX220,,, I don't race,,,, I'm a disabled vet and live in the Woods I usally get up in the morning and do 60mi. before lunch I might go out and do that again before dinner... I can't tell you how much confidence I have in this Bike... Oh,,, I do own a KTM200,,, what a squirt!! I don't know what to tell you... Let's see if this Ktm 2000 can go over 25,000miles with no major Malfuntions... Thats hard to believe isn't it... I just do Cat roads and trail riding and am very energetic about keeping things clean and plenty of maintance... Good Luck Wild Raven

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
In England the VOR is not highly regarded. I don't think they would be the best choice but TM seems like they are here to stay and they have some of the most expensive/well made parts on them.
KTM is also here to stay and has proven they are just as capable as the Jap boys.
For play biking that is very enjoyable I prefer the kdx but for pure racing I would also like a KTM.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Weber,
Just out of curiousity, what mods have you done and which gave you the best performance for racing?

weber.s

Mar 26, 2003
My Mods 2002 KDX 200

Hi Jim
I changed the basic set up of my bike depending on the race conditions, but my mods are as follow:

FMF Gnarly with power core 2 pipe
Booysen rad valve
Ø 270 mm disc 2 cylinder Brembo caliper front break
KX 250 perch and levers
Single progressive hydraulic Öhlins front suspention
Powder coated Exel rims front and rear
RCR steering damper
Pro taper bars
Acerbis bark busters with spoilers
Hyde bash plate
Maier mx type tail piece
KX 250 plate board
Ultra thick tubes (never had a punture)
Carb mods, depending on race conditions and altitude(jetting)
Complete set of sprockets, depending on race conditions
Different compound tyres, front and rear, depending on race conditions
All the usual air filter mods

Bike goes really well.
Take care

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
After about 10 years, don't you think it is about time for an all new/improved KDX; like KTM puts out about every 3 years? That is the whole reason for the differences! Cheers John

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
JasonWho said:

Also, read the EPA two stroke information, 2006, ban, etc. That will help you figure out the "why not a newer KDX" thing also.

I didn't believe in Y2K, and I don't believe in the 2006 two stroke ban :nener:

Last edited:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Jason you are exactly correct on all counts. KAW could continue to produce current KDX for price and updated one for performance or race oriented buyers. Our government is on the wrong track on two strokes. Europe is full of two stroke scooters. I am getting into vintage two strokes! As well I will keep my KDX (fourth one) until it or I die.

weber.s

Mar 26, 2003

To Jason Who, I thaught of having a 220 conversion done, but after a bit of investigation I heard some bad things about 220 conversions, this even from the main Kawasaki dealers in S.A, so I decided to have a rad block fitted instead, apparently it`s got the same end results, well I could definetly feel a vast improvement in the bikes performance. Concerning the rims, once you fit a steering damper, it gives you so much stabillity over rocks at high speeds, one does not worry about hitting them, so your rims take a bashing. The Exel rims are a much better quality rim and can take a lot more abuse than the standard rim. I think my standard rims lasted two or three rides before they were so badly buckeld I had to replace them. What you said about the price difference between the Ktm and the Kdx , I could not agree more.
I tested four different bikes this weekend, must have done at least 300km or more of hard riding. The agents here organized a VOR 450 and a TM 250 for me to ride, then I also rode my mates Ktm 250 exc 2003, and another mates Ktm 300 2004. I must say, after riding all these bikes I`m set on the TM 250, it rides just like the Kdx, but with more power. The only thing tha I did not like about this bike was the fact that it has a 5 speed gear box, and one tends to run out of revs at top end, but this can be sorted by gearing. The VOR I found a little heavy, and not easy to start, took it into a tight river section, it felt like lugging a monster around, I also kept on stalling it, not easy to get used to (4 stroke). On the open trails it is awsome, handling very good but 122kg is a little much for me. Both the KTM`s have great power, but it is difficult to ride that sort of power, very responsive and wild, also the riding position on both bikes is to far forward, like a mx bike. Because of this riding position I found the rear to be very light under breaking, which is great on an MX track, but not on tight trails, also the seats are as hard as rocks, my rear end took a lot of punishment on those bikes. They are all good bikes and opinions differ from person to person, but I really cant say enough about the TM, with the correct set up it feels like a blue and yelloy KDX with a 250 motor.
Happy riding
Take care all

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Good luck with the TM, still why not go for the KTM200EXC - probably the best bike in this class. Must be great to race in the Eastern Cape, I lived in East London for a year - beautiful country.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…