Thanks Ladies...Purchasing KX100...Need Help!

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Well, after riding both the TTR and KX100 today at our local dealership, my wife is definitely set on the KX100. The TTR was so slow compared to the KX to say the least. At any rate, I'm looking to set this bike up for trail use, so here's what I'm looking to buy, and I need help finding the companies that make these parts for the KX100:

1) Full Coverage Skid Plate
2) Full Pipe Guard for the stock pipe
3) Hand guards - the kind that connect at the end of the bar with the plastic deflector
4) I've already decided on the Steahly Flywheel weight unless someone has a better recommendation.
5) I can't decide whether to lower the front sprocket one tooth, make the rear a couple of teeth larger, or do a combination of both??
6) I'm probably going to back out the rear suspension all the way, and depending on the increase amount of squat, I'm probably going to slide the fork tubes the equivalent distance to bring it back to stock levels and make it a tad easier for her to ride in the beginning.
7) I've also heard of a way that you can limit the throttle to 2/3 or some amount, but I'm not clear on what product this is and who makes it.
8) Does anyone make a light kit for a KX100?
9) Does anyone make an aluminum radiator cover, protector, and frame guards for this bike?
10) Does anyone else have any other recommendations for parts that would make for an awesome trail bike?

I really appreciate the help on this, and I can't wait to hear everyone's responses.

Chris

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
this past summer, we bought my twelve year-old daughter a cr 85 expert. it was almost unrideable for her with stock gearing. we went one tooth smaller on the front and it made all the difference in the world. it should have a similar effect on the kx.

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
Nice! I have one but I mostly do MX and its a sweat machine for that type of riding. I havnt had to do anything to it. In fact, most people (almost all men) are impressed by this bike once they hear it, see it go and even hop on it. I couldnt give any suggestions for trail use but it takes some work with the motor to ride it up steep hills othewise its very agile for me and I can stop and put a foot down and get going agian just about anywhere. I have no problem starting the bike anywhere either and can get myself out of predicaments unlike on my old YZ125. I can acutally ride this bike on the pipe too, once again, unlike my YZ.

Once you get it set up right, I may be hitting you up with some questions on what to do to it to make trail freindler.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Sounds awesome! I hope someon can chime in and let me know what they've done and recommend for trail use. What do you all think is a fair price to negotiate to since the cost on this machine to the dealer is $2826 with a 5% dealer holdback. I was thinking no more than $3000, but what do you guys think?

Chris

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
AWESOME! I'm so glad the shop let your wife ride the bike so she could be totally sure about her decision; THAT is SO COOL and makes all the difference!!!

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Congratulations on getting your wife involved in riding! She'll have a blast and it'll be a great way to spend time together.

First, you should be able to get the frame guards, skid plate and radiator braces from Works Connection. I've never seen anything more then a 'glide' skid plate for a KX-100, but that should be fine in even the most rocky conditions on that bike. Carbon fiber pipe guard should be available from E-Line. While your on the phone with E-Line you can ask them if they have a lighting coil available for the KX-100. If they don't offer it contact Baja Designs. IMS I think offers a large fuel tank if the distance between fill-ups become a problem. Aluminum wrap-around bark busters with plastics brush deflectors should be available from either Moose or E-Line as well. Do not forget to add some aluminum bars when you add the Bark Busters since the stock bars on most bikes are made of cheese metal. Any bike bigger then a KLX-110 that I know of doesn't have any way to limit the amount of throttle applied. That doesn't mean a throttle is not offered aftermarket, it's just that I doubt anybody offers one for a competition based machine. I would leave the stock suspension settings alone except for the rear shock sag. That needs to be adjusted on all bikes for their rider and checked often. The suspension being brand new needs to be ridden for a little while for it to break-in. Once it's broken in it will feel much more plush and will be a much better starting point for adjustments then when it's new and stiff. Two teeth more on the rear sprocket almost always does the trick.

As for purchasing the bike, buy it from a reputable dealer that treats you well and keeps a good supply of parts in stock. If you like the dealer let him make something on the machine! The mark-up on that machine is not alot especially since the retail price dropped a few hundred dollars from last year's price. Besides, if your dealer doesn't make any money on the bikes he sell's then he won't be in business for long (running a business ain't cheap!). So do the chap a favor and let him make a living.
Good luck and have fun!

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Awesome info Lissa! Well, today after talking with my local dealers and one from out of town, I decided to buy a brand new 2003 KX100 for $2,900 plus tax. Then I ordered the following parts from the same dealer:

1) Moose Skid Plate (This and Steahly are the only two companies I could find that offered a full coverage skid plate and not just the "glide" plate)
2) Moose Generic Pipe Guard - I can't find one that's carbon fiber or custom fit aluminum, so I went with the ugly looking generic one from Moose. E-line doesn't have one either.
3) Moose Handguards with Shield - I didn't go with a different bar, because I didn't know to. I think I'll leave it the way it is or is it a necessity to do a different bar with the handguards?
4) Works Connection Radiator Brace - Looks like a good little piece to prevent breaking the radiator when my wife's dumps it on it's side.
5) Works Connection Frame Guards - Nice to have, I think!
6) 12 tooth Moose Sprocket - Gearing it down for trail riding
7) Steahly 12 oz Flywheel Weight - Hopefully it will tone down the kick on this thing

Total cost for all the add-ons was right around $425, so with tax and everything it's right around $3,650 out the door. I can't wait to get her on it and get used to it. It's going to be a lot of fun having her out with me in th woods having a blast. She'll love it! Thanks to everyone for helping me out with all this.

Chris

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by ravencr
Well, today after talking with my local dealers and one from out of town, I decided to buy a brand new 2003 KX100 for $2,900 plus tax.

that's a pretty good deal. we priced kx100's and rm100's at several different dealers before buying the honda. we just couldn't get a deal on one. we got the honda for over $400 less than the others. it was only slightly higher than some of the used bikes we looked at.

have fun and enjoy your new bike. the kx's seem to be good ones.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I've heard good replies for people who port the 100 for low end power. For $50 sounds good to me. Extra teeth in the rear sproket helps gear it down too.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
So do you think I should get a larger rear sprocket in addition to the smaller front sprocket I already purchased? I thought the porting was a lot more than $50, but I could be missing something. Is it Eric Gorr that is the best for this bike?

Chris

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Chris- The smaller front sprocket is enough for me on trails. Also, I don't seem to need the porting, but some do and like it. Why don't ya let yer wife put some seat time in on the bike as is; then, she can decide if she needs all that later? I know I had a totally different "feel" for the bike AFTER the first couple of months of riding. -CJ

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Yeah, if everything goes as planned I'm picking it up tomorrow, but the 12 oz flywheel weight or sprocket won't be in yet, so she'll have to learn with being bone stock. We'll see what happens. I know when I first bought my KTM 250EXC, I thought I was going to die. I'd ridden 4 stroke bikes for years, but never 2-strokes, and this thing was scary fast to me. But, after as short while, I wanted more power, so I think I know what you mean. I'll keep everyone posted.

Chris

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
I just bought a KX100 for my wife too. So far she loves it. Here are a couple of things that I have found for it....
www.utahsportcycle.com makes a really good looking full coverage skid plate for the bike.

www.motorcycle.com/01may03kawasaki2002kx10modified.htm is a good one to read too.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Originally posted by xrkx
I just bought a KX100 for my wife too. So far she loves it. Here are a couple of things that I have found for it....
www.utahsportcycle.com makes a really good looking full coverage skid plate for the bike.

www.motorcycle.com/01may03kawasaki2002kx10modified.htm is a good one to read too.
Thanks for the information. The second link isn't working though, and I would love to read it. I ended up getting a moose skid plate, hand guards, pipe guard, and works connection radiator brace and frame guards. She loves the bike, and we're going again today. I don't have everything on the bike, because all the parts haven't come in yet.

One thing I did notice was that the front sprocket already looks pretty small and I was wondering if there was any detrimental effects on the chain guide with running the smaller sprocket up front, because it looks like it would rub continously.

Chris

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
... the front sprocket already looks pretty small and I was wondering if there was any detrimental effects on the chain guide with running the smaller sprocket up front ....

Hey Chris- I haven't had any trouble with it, but I (well, OK, my hubby) did cut the chain to fit properly and I (OK, really me this time) adjust it pretty often to keep it tight enough. Those little weenie non-O-ring chains tend to stretch a LOT, so ya have to keep an eye on 'em.

On another note... when are we gonna hear directly from "she with new bike?"

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
For the modified KX100 article go to www.motorcycledaily.com go to the bike test and scan down to the May 1, 2003. That is the article if you would like to read it. It is a KX100 set up for woods riding.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Is it Eric Gorr that is the best for this bike?

Eric is very skilled in the art of porting two strokes. If you are planning to have it worked on I recommend sending it to him. :cool:

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Originally posted by CJ Rider

Hey Chris- I haven't had any trouble with it, but I (well, OK, my hubby) did cut the chain to fit properly and I (OK, really me this time) adjust it pretty often to keep it tight enough. Those little weenie non-O-ring chains tend to stretch a LOT, so ya have to keep an eye on 'em.

On another note... when are we gonna hear directly from "she with new bike?"
She's not into the whole internet thing, so I doubt you'll hear from her on here, unfortunately. The 12 oz Flywheel Weight from Steahly came today, so I can't wait to get it on for her. The remaining parts should be in soon too.

Chris

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Originally posted by xrkx
For the modified KX100 article go to www.motorcycledaily.com go to the bike test and scan down to the May 1, 2003. That is the article if you would like to read it. It is a KX100 set up for woods riding.
That's a good article! Thanks! I've got the flywheel weight, but I went with the heaviest they make, which may be too much, but I doubt it. If it comes to a point where she feels more comfortable, I'll mill it down to lighten it back up. I'd love to get her the IMS tank and I pipe down the road, but for right now the power is more than enough for her. She loves the bike. We rode this Sunday on a fairly challenging trail and I was very impressed with her riding. She's loving every minute of it! Thanks for all the help with this!

Chris

P.S. By they way, what mixture are you folks running in this thing. I'm think 36:1 would be good, but what you think?

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Originally posted by dirty~d~

Eric is very skilled in the art of porting two strokes. If you are planning to have it worked on I recommend sending it to him. :cool:
Good deal! I'll definitely keep him in mind when the time comes to rebuild or make it faster.

Chris

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
... By they way, what mixture are you folks running in this thing. I'm think 36:1 would be good, but what you think?
Yup, Chris, the recomended 32:1 caused nothing but major spooge for me. There was a huge discussion about this for the little KX I think in the mini forum a while back (might want to do a search) and the consensus was that anywhere from 36:1 to 40:1 works great.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Sweet! Do you know if anyone runs octane boost inconjunction with the 93 octane gas, because I used to on my KTM 250EXC?

Chris

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
I see that some of you say that you can run the KX at 36-40:1 mix to aviod a little extra oil at the tail pipe. My wife's KX100 does the same thing.

Just my 2 cents on the subject..... I have some concern with running that light of a mixture on the 100. Here is my reasoning. I work at an outboard shop and almost all modern day two stroke outboards have a type of oil injection on them. They almost all have a variable oil injection. What this means is that at lower RPM, the motor does not need a heavy oil mix. At a higher RPM, the motor does need the extra oil. The outboard motor is setup to deliver the amount of oil needed for that RPM.

Now, on a KX100 there is no oil injection. At high RPM is where the motor needs that 32:1 mix. At high RPM is where it is important for the bearings and piston to have that 32:1 mix. At lower RPM is where you do not need that much oil in the gas and that is when you get the extra oil at the silencer. You may very well have a bike that runs just fine on a 40:1 mix. But at high RPM, the motor is not getting the oil needed and therefore, you are shortening the motors life just to avoid a little extra oil at the end of the pipe.

I have seen people with older outboard motors try to cut back on the mix to prevent the motor from loading up while trolling. Works fine at trolling and cruise speeds but when they tried to drag race the boat next to them, they blew up. I also new a guy that thought the same thing about his CR250. He thought that he did not need that much oil either. Ran fine on the trail but when he started riding a little harder in the open, it locked up.

So, if I have to put up with a little extra gew at the silencer to ensure that my wife's KX will run a long time then I have no problem with the gew.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
That's a great point! I'm going to run 36:1 on my wife's because she isn't giving it a lot of gas right now while she's getting used to it. Plus, hopefully, this will help prevent fouling of the plug during her slow speed trail riding that we do. When she gets more aggressive, I'll probably shift a tad richer as you mention.

Chris

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom