holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Well, I brought my ’06 CRF 450 for its maiden voyage yesterday, and I chose Glen Helen for the proving ground. First, let me tell you that I’m a +50 novice, 165 lbs, in painfully average shape, so take any comments from that perspective. I’ve also been riding a 125 for the past three years.

So I take this thing on it’s first lap, and almost immediately, I’m forced into a hard left and up a whooped hill. How in the heck do people get on the gas uphill with these things? Damn thing was trying to loop, even when I was well forward. Anyway, I completed that lap floundering around – I could barley ride the thing. First impression was that this was way too much bike (and it seemed angry) – anyone want to buy a used 450, only ridden once? Second lap was much better, I even jumped a tiny double – things were looking up.

Later on, I noticed this small double with a hard banked right that about 80% of the riders were doing (but I wasn’t). I may be old and slow, but surely I could do this simple jump and besides, I have a fourfity now – right? Right. I tried the jump twice in second, but was a little timid, so I didn’t quite make the jump clean, so I thought I’d try third and sort of coast over. Wrong approach – I skipped of the top of the landing with too much speed, lost control completely and launched myself over the embankment. I should have been able to save it, except the wicked throttle response landed me in a heap. The usual scrapes resulted, but in addition, I somehow managed to skin my armpit. A bike is not truly broken in until it has scratched plastic. I tried the jump once more in second, and made it clean – I didn’t push my luck and avoided it after that.

Anyway, these are my thoughts so far (subject to change without notice)

1. This bike has gnarly power, I’m guessing too gnarly for most, even those younger and a lot faster than me.
2. Why did they put Larocco’s supercross suspension on this thing? Seemed way stiff, especially the shock (checking the dust marks on the fork, it appeared that I was using most of the travel)
3. Traction – there were some instances when the rear wheel lost traction over bumpy ground hard on the gas – maybe this was caused buy the stiff shock?
4. Starting – this bike starts great – no complaints (kickstarting, I mean)
5. Handling – nice, neutral handling

To be fair about the suspension, I tried riding it like it’s supposed to be ridden (on the pegs – hard on the throttle), and it work very well. Unfortunately, I could only do this for a quarter of a lap. This is not a sit-down, barcalounger motorcycle – you have to ride it. Glen Helen is also a very rough track – a true test of suspension.

Now I have to decide if I should keep it and bring it into my world – it’s gonna cost $.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
holeshot said:
To be fair about the suspension, I tried riding it like it’s supposed to be ridden (on the pegs – hard on the throttle), and it work very well. Unfortunately, I could only do this for a quarter of a lap. This is not a sit-down, barcalounger motorcycle – you have to ride it.

Ron.

Congrats on the new bike. :cool:

They do take some getting used to. You have to be very aggressive on the throttle and almost be sitting on the front fender to keep the front end down in many cases. Or, learn to let the traction work for you.

Don't let the first ride put you off, you will get used to it.

Getting your suspension right is very important. I have a suspension guy right here in Corona that is very good. If your interested contact me.

Ol'89r

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Yup: shouda stayed with the girl's bike - and off of a track, too: that's for those who have no place to go. There's nothing quite like killin' a 'skeeter with a canon either. See what happens when ya skip your meds?

Speaking of meds, don't listen to that ancient guy - he's just stirrin' for some rag-doll action. Let him come on out to the dez' and spank us super seniors, then he'll earn some 'spect!

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Nice review. I went to the 450 after a 250 2t. I PURPOSELY avoided the track on my 1st ride (and probably a couple more).

I am waaaaaay impressed by the suspension, Mine has been done by Suspension By Jake in Riverside county, so maybe it is that much better than stock? (either way, I am very impressed).

I think in many ways it is easier to ride than my 250, because the power is more predictable, but the bike is heavier for sure.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My 06 goes for its maiden voyage tomorrow.. I cant wait :nod: My first thumper :aj:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
placelast said:
Speaking of meds, don't listen to that ancient guy - he's just stirrin' for some rag-doll action. Let him come on out to the dez' and spank us super seniors, then he'll earn some 'spect!

HEY NOW! :yikes: Watch it der buddy. :ohmy:
I'll be out to mix it up with you guys pretty soon. That is if I can remember how to get to the dez'. :nener:

Holeshot.

Not that I know anything about jumping, but.
Jumping the beast is a lot different than your 125. You can't use the coasting technique on most jumps. You have to get a little farther back and launch the bike all the way off the lip. It won't loop out on you like a two stroke would. Well, not in most cases anyway. ;)

rodH.

Small world. Jake is the guy that did my suspension when he was still in Corona. As you may know, he is an ex Honda factory guy and really knows his stuff.

Ol'89r

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
rodH said:
I think in many ways it is easier to ride than my 250, because the power is more predictable, but the bike is heavier for sure.

This bike is easy too go fast on!! Very predictable, i thought.. This is my first thumper and i cant get over how easy it is too go fast (fast for me lol) Not too mention the turning.. :aj:

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Ol'89r said:
rodH.

Small world. Jake is the guy that did my suspension when he was still in Corona. As you may know, he is an ex Honda factory guy and really knows his stuff.

Ol'89r

Ya, the suspension is SICK!!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom