placelast

Apr 11, 2001
or B@lls to the W@lls

The Eeler (E, GG 300) and Gogo-jake (G, YZ250f) voted for a Gorman ride this Sunday; I propose this place instead. Tater (T, YZ426f) and Thumbsy (T, 200 M/XC) were to join in the fray.

My oldest son (jr.), having arrived from delivering the Sunday paper, said he wanted to go - all the better as he younger brother hadn’t apologized to me for displaying his middle index, 2x, re: some disagreement we had. So as jr. was chowing down b-fast I put the final goods on the pickup for today’s ride.

The drive to Ballinger was quite scenic, up the Santa Ynez river valley, green slopes from the little spring precipitation received and some water meandering down to the sea. Jr. tried his best to sleep but seemed unsuccessful unit reaching the campground.

I unloaded as best I could and geared up. In the gearing up process, perspiration became evident and it was not even 8:30am! I then decided it best to don Sahara gear for the eventual warming of the day.

Whilst slipping on my mesh pants four familiar pea-cups passed with loaded WMDs in their beds. The drivers did not notice us parked, so I had driven over on two wheels to let them know we’d be joining their lo-cal. G commented he did not recognize me, perhaps due to being partially geared up, or he had burned-in memories of my towering stature from days of old?

I had to shake jr. from his sleep – surprising with all the mini-pit racers, though they were not obnoxious. The usual greetings ensued once parked together.

The beginning of our loop was through the staging area through to the north half. There are some demanding whoop sections, and one of us went down hard unbeknownst to T and I as we paused ahead on one of the short peak’s crest. A quick back trailing revealed the one shaken yet able to move on.

A few more short ups and downs, and a sharp left to the north ridge on a tricky razorback. Everyone made it fine so we continued on the ridge and regrouped for a headcount every few miles.

There were a few mud/water puddles to surprise us with a splash every so often. Some were deep but presented no problems to any one in the group.

Coming down from the ridge and stopping at the corral afforded us an orientation of our location, although we’d be better served for such from the peaks.

As we spun off the main road, and counted heads, I scooted off, clicking into third and decided to catch a trail spur behind a trail marker. Misjudging clearances my right-side hand guard slammed into the metal sign, driving the backside of my paw into sign or inside hand guard and folding under. Ouch! T had seen it all and was surprised I was still upright. The pain was intense but not enough to call it a day, too soon. We hung a right into the canyon, then up a series of switchbacks onto another ridge.

Briefly pausing at the end of this section on a steep incline, I explained we were about to enter into a wooded area. It doesn’t get much sun, and that mixed with the tacky soil composition and moisture retention offered some unusual and fun conditions. By this time the pain hadn’t subsided and was affecting my confidence, such as I was questioning the wisdom of going further; my technique was faltering, but I wanted to show a good time for all and kept it to myself.

At one trail intersection we took an extended break. There were three others already there enjoying cold ones (they did not offer!) and carried conversation about how they’ve been coming here since 5 years old; they seemed to be in their early 40s, and mentioned this area used to be the place to do hill climbing, but no more due to various restrictions. As they were getting ready to leave, a large group of 10 riders or so came on through. Funny: were on the extreme east end of the canyon and there’s all this traffic, but only at this one intersection.

Now for more fun we meander down this long canyon. It had two logs arched across, where you have to kiss your gas tank to ride under, or as some opted to dismount and bulldog through. We stopped at one wet spot, hoping to see a show but not this time. On another rutted mud section T had gotten one each tire in two separate ruts, but no noteworthy crashing. We regrouped at the canyon’s mouth, and with some delay the last two joined us; one had taken a mud sample and it had saturated his glove; the stuff was smeared on his left grip and lever, but was squeegeed off with a stick.

My hand had not improved but there was too much fun ahead to care. Taking an ATV trail up the south ridge was next, with water bars for MX-ish jumping. I like doing these at speed as my lighter KDX can get better air that my RMX, of which jr. was on; although the suspension of the latter feels better.

Once near the top the usual confusion with the trail markings and map converged. We were able to figure it out and headed for the far south ridge, with all its whoops and more razor ridges. Fun. I do not know who was behind me (E?) but he was a pushin’, and I hope I gave him his money’s worth.

We then split off down to one of the ATV trails in hope of connection with the spectacular winding washes. But not before we get another dosage of sand whoops. There’s something about this section I cannot master. The whoops are deep and sandy; with short spacing and turns, making it difficult to skim, let alone double – about the best I can do is roll them; getting enough speed to master them is not possible for me. I can put the front tire on top of every other one with my 250, but not quite on my 200.

So here we are, entering into one of the four washes. These are remarkable similar – they differ only in length. We were gong to zigzag them all but jr. had to be at work this after noon so just a sampling was afforded.

As the wash narrowed and became tight, I could hear T coming up from behind. (It reminded me of other rides, having Holeshot or Ol’ 49r pushing my fanny along; maybe they weren’t close but it sure seemed like it with those booming thumpers.) But then after some tight turns there was sudden silence in the rear; turns out he stalled it and G had taken his place as pursuer. Then my front tire dug in the sand, and G passed on the right – he clipped my bars right side and we momentarily thought it was for the worst, but he was able to continue on without hesitation. When resumed and chasing G I heard another come up; this time it was E. At the end we came to a halt and realized just how hot it was; musta been in the mid 80s. Phew. We then took the ridge to the right and back to camp.

I missed a corner and went into some rocks, but was able to keep it upright. A few yahoos passed and hooted out; they must like blood too! Judicious clutching allowed a quick climb out before others could see me in my vulnerable position.

Down we went, and one went into the bush. It took a few moments to get his like dislodged from the bush.

Back at camp to unwind, and load up for our early departure, I received a fine compliment from E about awesome trail introductions.

Arriving at home, jr. hustled to shower and off to work. With my wounded paw I carefully unloaded but broke tradition by passed on washing the bikes; jr. can do that later in the week. The hand is puffy such that the knuckles no longer poke; I hope it heals enough to attend/help with next weekend’s enduros.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Placelast,

Great write up. Wish I could have joined you guys. I just couldn't get away. Sounds like you had a good time.

Next time,

Greg

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Awesome day of riding ... couldn’t ask for much more - old friends (John, Dave), racing buds (Thumbs), relatively new friends (Tator, Jake), new riding spot, and nice weather. I REALLY liked the trails here. Thanks again John for another introduction ... add this to the Gorman group ride grand tour and also the TWMC introduction. Ballinger is pretty small but it’s definitely quality in my book. Lots of roller coaster stuff and really tight twisty canyon type trails. It’s amazing how many skills you don’t practice riding in the desert. I was multi-tasking like crazy ... blip the throttle, lean forward, hit the brakes hard, brake slide, down shift, blip the throttle, turn, miss that tree, brake slide, turn left, turn right, turn left, left, right ... duck ! This riding was pretty intense. Loved it ! It’s too bad TWMC doesn’t race there anymore ... though I can see the difficulties in it.

Anyway ... we did a 25 or 30-miler and then John and Dave had to take off ... work duties for David. John’s new KX/KDX hybrid was trick and he rode the wheels off it both along the ridges and through the twisties. We started off from camp and “he who shall not be named” took a very hard crash ... got badly out of shape in some big whoops ! I missed the actual crash and only came upon him after ... laying facing down, not moving, arms at his side like a rag doll's ... I was pretty freaked when I rounded the bend and saw that .... always a bad thing. Tony had witnessed the carnage and was already checking him out ... he came around slowly and I suspect he mighta been KO’d for a bit there. But we ran him through a battery of tests and he wasn’t complaining about any weird feelings so we headed off again after taking an extended and much needed breather. Glad you’re OK man .. a good excuse to treat yourself to a trick new helmet .. there are alot of nice ones out there right now !

We got out of the whoops and then hit some big roller coasters, with nice sweeping, open sections between where you could go WFO for a stretch ... WFO ... fifth-gear pinned, baby, scar tissue time ! :joke:

Then it was into the woods sections - which were just fantastic ... much tighter than the Gorman woods and made even more technical because of the mud holes and mud ruts that would pop up around every blind corner ... so much fun. Later on we hit the canyon single track where you were like riding under the walls almost at times ... riding under these overhangs of dark brown dirt. Everyone was riding great and Tator blew me away by handling his 426 like it was a toy in the tight.

The only other carnage was PlaceLast’s hand ... which no longer looked like his hand anymore but a giant‘s hand. OUCH ! Hope it’s not broken ................ bet it is. :p I almost joined the carnage list just as we were descending a long whopped out downhill in view of camp .. I got the urge to blitz it and the back end rebounded and sent me up off the seat, feet in the air, white knuckle grip ! Lucky that time.

Well that loop had to end eventually and we got back to camp and John and Dave headed off after farewells. Thumbsy was fighting off the nasty bug that’s been going around, so he too called it a day ... which left Tator, myself, and MelloYello for one more quick loop - quick as it was now 1 PM, and way hotter than it should be for this time of year.

We headed off the same way we started the 1st loop .. took 6 out of camp, hung a right on 7 (I think) .. then straight through on 14 (up those white concrete tiles this time instead of down) and then on 50 to 36, where we hung a left, intending to bang another left onto 52, hoping 52 was another canyon twisty. However, before we hit the left turn for 52 we passed a lightly used trail on the left with an un-numbered marker with only a white diamond on it. We circled back and checked it out, and sure enough, a hidden trail .. the dream of many a trail rider. And what a trail it was ! Twisty uphill singletrack, off-camber, in and out of little gulleys, all sandy and with logs across the trail to navigate and bushes to fight off. This one is definitely not on the map, but there it was. Awesome trail, ending with an uphill that Tator almost made if it wasn’t for the fact that his bike was now boiling over and his clutch was pretty much toast ! We rested at the top ... which spit us out at the intersection of 52 and 51. We took 51 back to 50, then to 34, then 34 back down 14 again, and then finished up taking 24 back to camp.

Tired and satisfied. :)

Last edited:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Placelast, what a trooper. Endures the pain to be the gracious trail host. :thumb:

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Hey John, Eric, nice reports. It sounds like I was there riding with you guys, but I don't remember.:uh: Seriously, I'm glad I wasn't hurt and sorry to make you guys worry. They oughta have a disclaimer before Supercross broadcasts. "Warning: Professionals on closed course. Do not attempt at home or elsewhere." They make those whoops look so easy.:think:

Anyway, after my epic off at mile 1, the rest of the day went great. Even when I tipped over in a mud bog, I was having fun. Ballinger really is an awesome place to ride. Too bad you three early-leavers couldn't stay. The unmarked trail really was a lot of fun.

It was great riding with all of you. Next time, I'm going to get a lot of sleep before the ride so I won't need to take any dirtnaps.:|

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Tough guy reporting back, here.

I had the whole drive back to think about what to do with my wounded paw, whilst using my drink system’s bladder as an ice pack. Being one of the last to seek medical help yet concluded there’s no sense in being stupid twice, therefore decided to let them lecture me today than years down the road when there’s nothing left which hasn’t been injured.

My wife was napping upon our arrival at home, so I went solo for x-rays, though not before fulfilling my regular domestic duties (grocery shopping, refueling, etc.) and discovered in the process how dependent we are on each of our bodily members functioning as they should.

The radiologist (or was that x-ray tech.) asked how I did it and of course riding my bicycle. Turns out all bones are fine (thank you Fredette Racing Products for your hand guards!), and that in spite of all my repeated attempts over the years to break one bone, any bone. Good news. The doctor said it appears to be internal connecting tissues; hence, the puffiness, which seems to attract everybody else’s attention.

Upon arrival back at home my wife surprised me with sympathy and an offer of assistance - none of the “old, gray mare” razz this time.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Great reports guys - it was a bit of a toasty day wasn't it?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
It was toasty.

John - glad the hand's A-OK.

Tator and Jake - saw a blurb in the paper this morning about the discovery over the weekend of a 30-year old man's body wrapped up in a tarp in Lockwood Valley. It's been labeled a homicide. That was the crime scene we passed. Yikes !

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Another epic report John. :thumb:

Wish I could have joined you guys. Havn't been to ballinger cyn in a very long time.

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
Jellous... Right in my back yard, and I couldn't make it :whiner: .

Glad you all had a good time. Now I can't wait to ride Ballinger again.

deano...

Top Bottom