BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by XRpredator
after they beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

Freakin' eastern bias :|

Hey, don't be countin' yer chickens there towel boy! ;)

And, maybe to level the playing field, the Rose Bowl should be played in Ann Arbor :eek:

Freakin' left coast bias :laugh:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I didn't say throw the whole season out, just give teams a bonus for coming together and playing the best football in the nation at the end of the season.
Frankly, Dave you've always been the man of reason, but dude, you are reaching right now. ;) Have you figured-out how to make this scoring system of yours bullet/media/fan proof? What does that "bonus" equate to exactly?

The problem is trying to put an emotion into the equation. As long as you do that, it can't be discussed. So... I'm done. Maybe they change the system to better suit the west coast teams next year? Either way, everyone will know what the deal is when the season starts, just like they did this year.

It'll be LSU or OU...take it or leave it.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I hear these same arguements year after year after year. And they always comes up around this time of year. Funny, I don't think I've ever heard them at the beginning of the season. :think:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
What I don't like about the system is that teams are rewarded for running up the score, and punished if their opponents don't run up the score in their other games.  

they took that part out this year. luckily for everyone else or ou would be way ahead.

oklahoma deserves to be there. and to prove that i'm not a biased, emotional fan (like some that posted previously), i went to oklahoma state.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
USC didn't play a top 10 team all year and only played 2 top 30 teams! Oklahoma's only loss came against a top 10 opponent, while LSU's came against a top 30. OU 'still' has the top ranked defense in the nation and a higher yardage tpg than either of them. The Big 12 ended up with 3 teams in the top 10. Sorry but anecdotal data like so-and-so had 9 players go to the NFL # yrs ago doesn't cut it.

I'm not an OU fan but I don't have blinders on either.

Almost forgot - USC got beat by a CAL team that was beaten 42-28 by K-State :laugh:

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Something else you might be forgetting is that the seven BCS computers only account for 25%. The AP and coaches poll is 25%, strength of schedule is 25% and losses account for 25%. A small bonus is awarded for quality wins (vs top 10 teams).

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Hey, I'm not that invested or emotional about the whole deal.  Just tired of seeing west coast football get no respect.

What could well happen this year is a split title.  Just what the BCS was created to prevent.  Instead of UPI vs. AP it will be polls vs. BCS.

IMO, the polls and strength of schedule calculations are biased against the far west and in favor of the traditional NCAA powers.   

As to the anti-west bias, here is an example:  In 1978, USC and Alabama were 'co-champions'.   That year, USC beat Alabama.  24-14.  In Alabama.    

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
You know, USC wanted the Rose Bowl. It is a classic matchup, and if they do indeed win (a big if) they will rightly claim the AP national title. The winner of LSU v OU will claim the BCS title, both of which are valid titles w/ respect to the teams competing.

Fact of the matter is this, the sniping that goes on now comes from the fans. A playoff series would extend an already lengthened season (due to larger super conferences), interfere w/ finals and cause more problems for the students. From the students standpoint, trust me on this, IT AIN'T THAT BIG OF A DEAL! The uproar comes from fans, as it always has and always will.

BTw, anybody that compares a basketball type tournament to football has never gone through the recovery needed after a big game. Basketball can jam a 64 team tourney through in a quick amount of time, but even a 16 team tourney in football would add 4 weeks to a long schedule. In the case of the Big 12 teams, that is a 17 game schedule for a winning team...more than some NFL teams. Get a grip folks, get back to a poll system and enjoy the game.

East v West? I'd say North v South is more like it...plus you won't ever be able to shake that time zone thing there Pred.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I saw a gal from So. Cal interviewed on her thoughts about the BCS.
She stated she felt certain they would make it to the Super Bowl this year and it was amazing they wern't going there.
(holding my hurtin' skull)

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Hey BEEF, I played college BB briefly with Bartkowski at CAL in 1974. He was awesome and could have gone pro as a baseball player. He hit a homerun off-field to right field over the track stadium grandstand that backed up to the fence. No one had ever hit it that far and high, I was told.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I'm sure he could have been a pro baseball player, amazing to have that much talent and still be a nice guy (we seem to expect all our athletes to be jerks these days :laugh: ) BTW Jon K. congrats to LSU, beat us straight up twice, wait till next year and get them sooners! (sorry Okie)

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
when it gets down to it the BCS has reverted back to the good ole BSC (Bull Sh*t Coalition). The thing controlling these computers, allowing them to somehow keep a team which gets its ass handed to them at number one, is money. Obviously LSU was a lock for the Sugar Bowl if they won out, theyre less than a quarter day's drive away from the gamesite so they know that theyre going to pack them in. Last year at the FSU UGA game i was very dissapointed by the lack of attendance at the sugar bowl, and i think that their promoters must have been even more dissapointed. The next choice, between Oklahoman and USC, was a rather simple one for them. Oklahoma sells out every game, is 1/3 of the diffrence from new orleans, and has a reputation for more "loyal" fans. We're the ones getting screwed here. Thinking that any of these systems will be fair.

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
how can you be the potentially best team in the nation if you aren't the best in your confrence???
I smell split national championship (if USC wins against Michigan)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by flyfishdoc
how can you be the potentially best team in the nation if you aren't the best in your confrence???

didn't usc and lsu both lose a conference game?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Florida whipped LSU 19 - 7. Ouch!

But The Tigers came back strong to win the SEC.

You can lose a conference game without losing the conference.

Dave; My dad was just moaning yesterday the the SEC doesn't get the respect it deserves. Probably every conference deserves more respect.

But what do I know, I'm not a football fan; I just play one on the internet. ;)

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by dirty~d~
I hear these same arguements year after year after year. And they always comes up around this time of year. Funny, I don't think I've ever heard them at the beginning of the season. :think:

Its argued year-round in College Football forums,or atleast in the SEC forums.

CRSwade,

Division 1-AA has been doing playoffs for years. I agree, it will be more demanding on the athlete.

I think that a 8 game playoff minus bye weeks and non- conference games would work just fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom