scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Hey we made it back, That long weekend was awesome. Fun for everyone.

We left Friday around 9, My wife Lori, 2 sons, and myself. My brother in law was meeitng up wih us later. Special thans to Thumbs and Julie for the loaner of the Big Wheel. A huge hit.

We arrived after 3 potty breaks for the kids and wife at 1PM, and pulled out onto the sand. We had never been here before but that recommended reservations and we had em, good thing they reported at teh gate no one without em was getting in as they were booked solid. We drove down teh beach looing for a good palce to set up camp. My truck 2 wheel drive and I was towig a trailer so it was a little nerve rattling trying not to get stuck as it was high tide and the water was right up to several of the camps. This was an endles sea of RV's and trailers we drove all the way down the beach and it was packed in solid. Had to make a U turn in the soft stuff and got a little stuck. A little air out of the tires and a little digging and we were on our way again.

We found a camp with a toy box facing teh dunes insted of the ocean and asked if we could camp in front of tehm as they we mostly looking the other way. The were nice and said yes althought they warned us that the tide comes very close to there.

We took our chances and unpacked. beach front property all weekend. There is absolutly nothing like wakeing up, walking out of your trailer and eating breakfast in front of the ocean. :cool: Lori absolutely loved it.

I would take off with jake on his bike and riding Joey (my 3 yr old ) double on the Big Wheel . We found several sand tracks, The best of which had about 13 turns in it. Jake spent most of the times riding endlessly, stoping only when he ran out of gas, refilled and back at it. :yeehaw: It was great fun. I chased him for more laps than I could count riding Joey double. Every time I'd pull over for a break, Joey would pipe in "More race Daddy?" pointing back onto the tracks.

Meanwhile my wife kicking back on the beach, doing her best impression of a Corona commercial, says "ride as long as you'd like honey I'm great here". HOW"S THAT FOR A HALL PASS!!! :aj:

It only about 75 degrees, perfect for riding. notheless we get warm and sweaty and decide to cool off by going fro a cool swim. Oh yeah did I menion we were in front of the OCEAN :) I spend some hours bouncing between teaching my boy how to surf, going riding with the kids and riding solo through the dunes. It was awesome.

The Dunes were fun but small, compared o teh enduro treks I'm used to . There was nothing hard or really challening about them if you can ride in the sand, Go fast, kept the front wheel light, steer with the rear wheel. There was nothing as big as the phelan hill, yet people stil lined up to watch the people climb the biggest an steepest hill there was. (Which was a piece of cake for anyone in our riding crew, I think 89er and Bundy might have even made it without breaking something) FYI, I rode everwhere they had with standard knobbies no real need for paddles here. It was fun watching people stall and flail with paddles on there bikes and quads and just rip by them with reg old knobbies.

It was cool to see all the tricked out buggies and trucks and the thrown together Mad Max style vehicles. I haven't seen anything like it since the Michagan silver lake sand dunes.

Now for the only negative part. It was pretty crowded on the beach and althought the dunes were pretty wide open, and there was the invasion of the quad people, ripping up and down the beach about 4,000 times. Pretty much go straight one way for 4 miles then turnaround and go straight back the other way. We laid out a "front yard" barrier with our firewood to keep the quads away from our front door. Friday night was the worst as alot of people were just arriving and everyone had to fire there bikes up and go for a night beach cruise - race. this went on until 2-3 AM. Not much sleep in the old tent trailer, althought the kids slept through it fine. The guys behind us said they were regulars and they'd never seen it that bad that late. Aslo some other ran their generators al night, why? No AC was needed. They were definantely not TWMC curtious. Sat would be better, as the quad people had already arrived and they can't ride for more than a half hour without getting tired out and drinking several beers :bang:

He was right Sat night was great, A few guys here and there but nothing after 10PM. We stayed all through Sunday as well, pulling out around 6PM.

It was a great mid summer trip, If your looking for great riding, look elswhere. If your looking to ride in 75 degree weather in August, have your family have a great time and be able to cool off in the ocean, this (or mexico) is your place. Per my wifes instructions we are absolutely coming back next year. Oh well, I guess if I must go riding again........

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
They have a race coming up in OC thmbs and I are thnking of entering.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Glad you & fam. had a fine time. I had my doubts with the quad crowd; especially as the riding space keeps shrinking over the years.

We were going to stop by your camp but the radiator blew on my pick'emup. And it's a 2WD (say get stuck!) Then there's my salt water corrosion, la da, da...

Next time come up on Thursday and go to San Luis Obispo for the evening downtown farmer's market; they have at least six of them BIG trailer/towed BBQs going from 6-9pm. Then there's a guy who makes balloons and there's other things to keep the little scars busy. Also the misses should stop at the "cork" shop that offers samples of the locally-grown grape juice...

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The biggest worry (when tenting) is that you'll be run over in your sleep by some kid on a runaway quad. :yikes:

Nothing like the beach air at night, and cracking open another soda..... :cool:

Anyone have details (or a link) on the Oct race?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
scar tissue said:
Hey we made it back, That long weekend was awesome. Fun for everyone.
QUOTE]

Great report Tim. :cool: Glad you and Lori and the Scarlets had such a good time. :yeehaw: I can just picture Lori doing that Corona commercial. :laugh:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Excellent, sounded like a fun time for all. Nothing better than winning brownie points with the wife and kids and still being able to ride.

Top Bottom