wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
The past couple of weeks have been very trying for me. I had a mole on my back that exploded and began to grow rapidly over the last couple of weeks. My friends convinced me to stop ignoring it (it was not going to heal) and go to the Doctor. I went to the Carolina's Dermatology Group at the recommendation of HLG, this past Saturday. The Doctor took a look and I could feel the air just "leave" the room. He told me that I had a tumor (just smaller than a ping pong ball) on my back that appeared to be melanoma, and asked if I minded that he had another Doctor look at it. While he went to get the other Doctor, the nurses and assistants all came in for a "look" at the "big" tumor. Dr. Quan returned with the other Doctor and they told me that it needed to be removed right away. We set up a time for Monday morning. I spent the weekend in a daze. Since Cancer runs rampant through both sides of my family I was expecting the worst.

On Monday Dr. Quan removed the tumor to send it off for a Biopsy. After getting a better look at it, he changed his initial diagnosis from 80/20 (against me) to a 50/50 chance that it was something other than melanoma.

I got the results yesterday ... it was BENIGN! I was even told by him that it was " A NO BIG DEAL " kind of tumor and that he will make sure that he had completely removed it all, when I go back for the follow up visit this coming Monday.

I am very fortunate to be surrounded by such a great bunch of friends, that would not allow my ignorance and fear/denial to continue.

I would like to say a big thanks to Angie, Brian, Ivan, Gomer (Mike), Lori, Clinton and Beth. If it were not for you guy's ... who knows what the future would have held for me ... if I had a future at all.

So, everyone heed my warning ... If there is anything even slightly out of the ordinary wrong with you ... do not hesitate to get it checked out. You never know what it could be and if you don't get it looked at .. YOU NEVER WILL.

Do not use the " I have no insurance " as an excuse ... I don't have any either ... and I was able to get it done.

God it is GREAT TO BE ALIVE in such a TERRIBLE WORLD!! :)

wrench

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Whew!

That's great Wrench! That kind of scare makes other problems pale in comparison.

I think I'll go in for a checkup.:eek:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Wow. Glad to hear everything is alright. Cancer is nothing I would wish on anyone. I've seen way to much of it between friends and family and I'm relieved that you'll be OK.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Great new Wrench! Looks like things are on an upswing, it will only keep getting mo' betta' from now on bro' :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Wow! Scary stuff, Wrench, but I'm glad everything came out okay. :)

Shin ichi

Feb 27, 2001
TADDAA' (singing)

Great news Wrench, glad one of them furreign docs could help out.;) That makes two semi-orientals who have been able to help you. The doc and the little cutting thing and me spotting that spec of mud on your front fender last week. :confused:

Congrats, its great to hear.

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Thanks everyone.

Oh yeah, Thanks Johnny ( I forgot him in the original post) you 1/2 oriental philosopher!:confused:

wrench

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Sorry to hear about the cancer :( , but glad that it was not to bad and that you are O.K. :) My dad had a similar experience, but I forget what he call the type of cancer and the Doc said that "If god let you pick the type of cancer that you get that would be the one to choose". He is o.k., but has already had several spots removed. I'm sure that you will keep a watch out for any others and have them removed prompty, Right!!!!

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I've heard enough bad news recently. Wrench, I'm very happy for you and your news has made my day!:)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
VERY glad for you that all is cool. :cool:

shiftless

DRN MOM
Sep 30, 2000
What wonderful news!! These events in our lives surely put things in perspective don't they? Will you be able to come to Dirtweek? Sending a really big hug for you.

Joy

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Great news Wrench! Glad everything turned out ok! I had a cancer scare about two years ago myself. When they even say the C-word, it immediately changes your whole outlook on life! Again, glad to hear the good news.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Great news Wrench!

Wrench, getting that kind of diagnosis (tumor) sends your mind into a spin. Then you have to wait for the conclusive results. The waiting was probably a 1000 times worse than the procedure! See you at DW01. That is simply, Great News!

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Very happy all is well

but inquiring minds want to know? Did the doc close you up with nylon zip ties?

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Re: Very happy all is well

Originally posted by MotoXsparx
but inquiring minds want to know? Did the doc close you up with nylon zip ties?

Now that was funny!!!!!

He used "safety Wire" :confused:

wrench

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by wrench

God it is GREAT TO BE ALIVE in such a TERRIBLE WORLD!! :)

wrench

Congratulations. Luck can go both ways, thank god. I know how you feel !
After a bad accident, 4 operations on 2 knees, and 68,000 in medical expenses ( thank god I had good insurance ) I am back to riding, working, and all the other good stuff. My first mountain bike ride when I could bend my knee for a complete pedal revolution was such a GREAT feeling - because I knew at that point I was getting close to being and feeling normal, not gimping around the rest of my life.

Like you said indirectly , even tho life sucks sometimes, it is great to be here!

Top Bottom