What about the "Big" Stepup?

• I know I can clear the big stepup this year, I'm better (yeah right Gomer)

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • I will try to clear the "big" stepup

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • I'm not even going to try to clear, lucky if I make it up

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • I'll just go around the thing

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
and who's planning on trying to clear the big stepup this year that didn't try it last year? Considering it's still there. (I'll make it a poll)

Any other sections of the track that you didn't do last year that you are planning on doing this year?

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
If the stepup is there, I will try to do it. I bounced around near the top a few times so I am 99% sure I can do it.

Tigger

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2000
Daddy I love you so I'll try to go up it this year but DON'T PUSH ME I'LL DO IT IN MY OWN TIME :) OK? ;)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Tigger
DON'T PUSH ME
PUSH YOU??? If I remember correctly from last year, I had to pull you up it, litteraly. :p
Now go to bed!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by _SOLO_
I am 99% sure I can do it.

I'm 99% sure I well not try it! Besides thats not a step up, its a mountain... and its the highest pike in the range! :eek:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Whether I can actually make it over is yet to be determined. All I can say is I've had a year to think about it and a year to kick myself for not trying. That thing is like a reoccuring nightmare for me, it taunts me in my sleep, it's a mirage at every other track I go to and everytime I hear this little bell going DING DING. It's on the poster at the motorcycle shop where I buy my gas. I wanna jump that thing so bad. I hope I don't chicken out again this year and even more, I hope I make it over :aj:

Last edited:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
The step up - yeah i'll ride up it (same as last year.  but clear it - not me.

Any other sections of the track that i want to make this year - yep   -  i'd like to ride the track and get some air with out breaking my back again.  :think:

I haven't been on a track since then (DW02) and am a little apprehensive.  :ugg: 

B

biglou

I'm eyeing the uphill double going into the rythm section behind the tower. I can do that one if I'd just turn it up about a half notch. The stepup wasn't open when we were there a couple weekends ago, but I'm still pretty sure I'm not even gonna attempt it. Riding up it's no prob, but I don't fly near that high...

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I plan on doing the first tabletop after the start...I never tried that one last year, nor did I try the uphill rythm section just after the step-up that Lou mentioned. Some guy with goggles and a snorkle sure made it look easy last year!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
How far off the ground are you at any given time during the jump? I never saw anyone hit the bottom of it. Just come over the top of it. I guess I will have to show ya'll up on the old DR :eek: Like that's going to happen, NOT! It looks pretty scary though. I guess the main thing is having the guts to hit it with the throttle wide open! That's first and then learning to roll and bounce when you hit the ground is second:)

Hey Jeff can I borrow you bike for a minute :p

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
I'll try anything once. This being my first DW I hope to give it a whirl. Just hope my KDX takes the abuse. I'll need some help from you vets to get my suspension tuned first though.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I'm talkin big now, and saying I'll try it, but I understand that it's like riding into the side of a building and trying to keep it pinned :eek: . Maybe I'll wait till late in the weekend (to see if VD can tow my truck home if I auger in).

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If someone volunteers to do it on my 250F first... then I'll be money!

I never saw any 125's or 250F's doing it last year though? But we were only there the last 2 days. Red nailed it a few times on Friday but didn't try it on Saturday (the approach was a lot choppier on Saturday). I can't remember if he said he was in 3rd or 4th on his 450.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I did it on Bundys 250F last year but couldnt make it on my 125. I would like to clear the first table top but it's way to loooong.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yup. Just like going WFO right into a wall I tell ya.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by nikki
If someone volunteers to do it on my 250F first... then I'll be money!
See me when you get there. I pounded that thing with Bob's 250F and TwinSpank's old 250F over and over before DW last year. I just kept shifting and held it WFO.

B

biglou

Just a reminder as to how big this thing is, here's me and PK riding up the part that you will be jumping over:
16965grudge3.jpg

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Tailbone was jumping it on Ivan's 250F last year by his second lap...and he'd never ridden a 250F before those 2 laps!

I'm curious top see if Jaybird is going to speak up and tel us how he plans to clear it this year while still on the bike! :scream:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Since I have never been to Cooperland, I have no first hand knowledge of this step-up. First off, it looks like a real pain in the arse. But it looks like something that you could hit in second or third, landing on the second (or third) rise without casing it. I'm I wrong?

One thing is for sure, I will NOT be hitting it in 4th wide open!

Looks like fun, can't wait to have a week long nightmare about it.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I was there this past weekend, they run the track a little different now and the straightaway before the step up is shorter.

Top Bottom