lewisqic

Jul 11, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'11" and 175 lbs.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
By nature I'm pretty aggressive, I'm sure once i learn to ride and gain confidence that i'll be more aggressive than not.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Don't really have many friends who are into riding, but I'll probably mostly be riding fields and woods.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
No, not really, pretty new at this stuff.

5) Do you think you will race ?
No

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I'd like to be, need to learn.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Brand, either yamaha or honda. And 4 stroke.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Around 3-4 thousand.

10) Do you live in California?
No

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Well, i would like to know what size/type of bike would be best for me, but I also have another question that i would like some opinions on...
Initially, I was interested in getting a dirt bike, but from reading around and talking to some people, i'm now contemplating whether i should get a dirt bike or a quad. Judging by my answers to the questions above, does anyone have any advice on whether to go with a dirt bike or a quad? Thanks.

May 10, 2007
bikes are fine.

personally i dont see what people like about quads. they are big so you cant ride deer trails that you find in the woods. if you flip they are much more dangerous because they can land on you. and they are much more expensive.
i would look at a crf230 or a crf250X

they are great trail bikes.

lewisqic

Jul 11, 2007
What yamaha models would you recommend? Also, i know there are mx bikes and then trail bikes, whats the big difference?

May 10, 2007
if you search it has been discussed lots of times but in a brief the MX has better suspension and has more power and tends to be louder. these are the full blown race bikes

the trail bikes are exactly that good for riding trails

yamaha would be like a ttr230 or a wr250

the ttr/crf-f are air cooled while the wr/crf-x are liquid cooled. as you can see the wr/crf-x have much higher prices.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Like mentioned above, ATV's are cool too, I ride both, I have a 99 Suzuki RM250 and an 02 Yamaha Banshee. I like riding both but I like the bike better because I can go a lot more places and it can get more technical which adds to the fun. I love my quad as well but when your going wide open through trails or whatever they will beat you up pretty good. Bikes are the same way but I seem to be more stable and feel better on a bike when obstacles come up.

Other than that, there are tons of bikes out there to choose from, especially in your price range. I prefer 2 strokes myself, whether its trails or not, doesn't matter, but truthfully no bike is really better than another if around the same year most likely. Whichever bike you choose, you will most likely fit it for yourself no matter the size. I use to ride a RM125 in the woods which I passed down to a good friend and he keeps up just fine when we ride, sometimes even easier for him because throttle response is less touchy than my 250.

Being your first bike I would recommend you look around the local area on the famous auction site or CL to see if anyone local has anything. You dont even need to go that high on price for some of the newer bikes, esp 2t's which are def a lot easier to work on that 4t's. But no need to blow cash if your really undecided, they all ride the same for the most part, just colors that make them different.

Top Bottom