The day I became the coolest dad EVER

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Friday, October 10. My boy wants to take his motorcycle to school for show n' tell. I hem and haw about it, not just wanting him to show of his bling bling, but to kind of make it a somewhat educational experience (importance of safety equipment and all that stuff). I call the teacher, and she is down with it. I talk to the boy and come up with a plan. Y'see, we live about 2 blocks from the school, so I suggest to Predator2 that I put on all my gear and ride his motorcycle to his school. He thought that was the coolest and funniest idea ever. I ask the teacher about it, she says we can all meet down by the street so I don't have to ride it into the school (dangit!)

Anyhow, along comes 2:15 (the scheduled arrival time). I'm geared up and ready to roll, so I fire up the boy's bike (TTR-90) and head down the street. Mind you, I'm kinda bending the law a bit, but it's all for a good cause ;) . I see the boy out by the street, he sees me and starts pointing and then everyone turns to look to see a fat man on a little bike! The kids really dig seeing a dude in full on moto-gear. Both of our coolness factors went up quite a bit. It was good to talk to the kids, and Pred2 did a good job pointing out the safety gear essentials (get a helmet first, then a good pair of boots, etc.) Then came the questions:

"How much air have you got on that thing?"

"Oh, about 12 feet."

Priceless . . . :cool:

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I did much the same thing a couple of years ago...my oldest son took his KTM50 to class show and tell, with gear and all. His school is a catholic school that can be a little stodgy, but the teacher was totally down with it and the kids loved it. Needless to say, his cool points have been high w/ the other kids since that day...and a couple have taken up riding w/ their dads :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So what did they say about that Shriner hat you wear pred?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Cool day indeed Pred!! :thumb:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Good Dads are few and far between, except here at DRN :worship:

Chickens of a feather flock together :thumb:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
"The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree." I'm sure this will have a lifetime effect on Jr., and when he has young'uns he'll look back to the example set by his dad! :thumb: :thumb:

(BTW Mr. movie quote, did you recognize the above quotation?)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Or howsabout the movie quote "You squirrels better have some nuts in your mouth or oyur going downtown"...sorry the acorn/movie line reference got me off topic for a moment

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
That's awesome Pred! I wish I could have done something like that with my dad.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
That gives me a great idea for Jonathan's show and tell. He did a speech on dirtbike safety at cub scouts and the kids just loved it - all wanted to know if he races, how fast does he go etc.

This Sunday, Dad won 3rd place in a Chilli cook off and he was so stoked - I just had to smile - kids are so much fun :)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Way Cool :cool:
The kid i take riding made a video for school about MX.. Out in the garage he had his bike, all his gear laid out and went through and explained what everything was for.. He has mentioned that he would be interested in starting a riding club at school :thumb:

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
:thumb:

Can't wait till I'm all grow'd up and got me a kid or two of my own, working on the marriage thing now..

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
It's a cool thing. When my son was in first grade he asked if he could take his JR50 to school for show and tell. We told him it was OK with us if it was OK with the teacher. With all the permissions in place, I trailered it to school at the appropriate time. Teacher's first words? "IT'S GOT A REAL MOTOR!" She was under the impression it was his bicycle. Our son proudly showed all his safety gear, and offered to start the bike. (Mind you, this was indoors in January)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Definitely need some picks of you on the TTR Pred!

One of the guys in our club tapes the club rides & makes a pretty good video each year. Our kids were all in it for the kid's ride we put on so they each took turns taking it to school to show their classmates. Best part of the movie was my son's crash at the top of a hillclimb - he threw his hands up in the air and did a classic victory jump.

All of the kids thought it was really cool that they were in a real dirtbike video.

The yearly birthday ride we have for my son also goes over well with the kids at school and it's a great chance to promote safety and responsible riding, not to mention the occasional McGyver trailside repair that seems to come up.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

That's awesome!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could take my dirtbike to school....unfortunately the teachers think we're a bit to old for show and tell..lol

Top Bottom