The Decision Has Been Made...Purchasing KX100!

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Well, after riding both the TTR and KX100 today at our local dealership, my wife is definitely set on the KX100. The TTR was so slow compared to the KX to say the least. At any rate, I'm looking to set this bike up for trail use, so here's what I'm looking to buy, and I need help finding the companies that make these parts for the KX100:

1) Full Coverage Skid Plate
2) Full Pipe Guard for the stock pipe
3) Hand guards - the kind that connect at the end of the bar with the plastic deflector
4) I've already decided on the Steahly Flywheel weight unless someone has a better recommendation.
5) I can't decide whether to lower the front sprocket one tooth, make the rear a couple of teeth larger, or do a combination of both??
6) I'm probably going to back out the rear suspension all the way, and depending on the increase amount of squat, I'm probably going to slide the fork tubes the equivalent distance to bring it back to stock levels and make it a tad easier for her to ride in the beginning.
7) I've also heard of a way that you can limit the throttle to 2/3 or some amount, but I'm not clear on what product this is and who makes it.
8) Does anyone make a light kit for a KX100?
9) Does anyone make an aluminum radiator cover, protector, and frame guards for this bike?
10) Does anyone else have any other recommendations for parts that would make for an awesome trail bike?

I really appreciate the help on this, and I can't wait to hear everyone's responses.

Chris

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
I know there's some folks out there that have these bikes awesome trail bikes, so let's hear what you did, where you got the parts, and what you would recommend on anything else with this bike, please.

Chris

JRCII

Aug 21, 2002
These are the mods I've done to my nephews 04 KX 85, all will bolt right
on the KX 100.

RENTHAL - Mini-Hi Aluminum Handlebars
ACERBIS - Mini Rally Hand Guards
MOOSE - Full Skid Plate
WORKS CONNECTION - Frame Guards and Radiator Brace

Suspenion work, FMF pipe and silencer in the spring.
As far as a radiator guard, I have not been able to find one.

KCL

Oct 9, 2003
A flywheel weight will improve the "trail" abilities of the KX...check out these websites for Information. www.tccra.com, www.mxsouth.com. Remember, lengthening the suspension will take away from the tight cornering needed in the trail environment. Bottom end and a low center of gravity will be the best assests for the woods environment. Look for websites dealing with cross country and enduro riding. Hope this helps.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Great choice. I just got an '02 KX100 for my 14 year old son after considering TTR125, CRF150, and other playbikes. It's just so much more bike in every way.  And I know from past experience it's easier and cheaper to cork up a race bike than try to make a playbike into something more later. 

The engine had been ported and the case halves matched by Robert Reynard (yep, Robbie's dad) on our bike. Definitely not necessary -- or really even desirable -- for trail work but ours was an '02 and this had already been done by the previous owner.  Robert said the KX100 makes less HP than the KX80/85 stock, but makes more torque, which is what you want for woods riding. Since the KX100 is simply an overbored KX80, this boring lowers the ports in the bore, which is why the HP is less. You can get the power back (as he did on our bike) by a port job to raise them back up, but that's more for MX than woods.

The bike also had an FMF pipe and shorty silencer on it. In speaking with Robert, he said the stock pipe makes more power than any other. He said adding a PC shorty silencer to the stock pipe is the hot ticket since the stock muffler really plugs up the bike. To cork it up for now I left the FMF one on and put the stock muffler back on.  Also put a bunch of slack into the throttle cable to make it harder for him to grab too much throttle.

It also had some nice pro-taper style Azonics bars on it when we got it. So the only thing we've really added at this point are some Cycra pro-bend barkbusters.  Skid plate is next and also considering a flywheel weight, so also appreciate any feedback on how well flywheel weights work on a KX100.

Last edited:

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
Congrads! You will not be dissapointed. It is very good trail bike, and bery reliable to. I have an IMS and FMF fatty/Turbine Core 2 set up and that's all it really needs. however with my x-mas money i'm going with a 53 tooth rear sprocket, from the 51. that should give me just enough for those hills where they have sharpe turns with tree roots, but i can get them, now. just wouldn't mind an extra boost.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
ravencr,
Did you go to Alcoa Goodtimes Kawasaki for the test ride? I know they have Kawasaki and Yamaha. They seem preety friendly and helpful there.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
JRCII said:
These are the mods I've done to my nephews 04 KX 85, all will bolt right
on the KX 100.

RENTHAL - Mini-Hi Aluminum Handlebars
ACERBIS - Mini Rally Hand Guards
MOOSE - Full Skid Plate
WORKS CONNECTION - Frame Guards and Radiator Brace

Suspenion work, FMF pipe and silencer in the spring.
As far as a radiator guard, I have not been able to find one.
Here's what I was able to find:

1) Moose Full Skid Plate
2) Works Connection Radiator Brace and Frame Guards
3) Moose Handguards with plastic guard
4) Smaller front sprocket
5) Moose Universal Pipe Guard
6) 12 Ounce Steahly Flywheel Weight

I also lowered the front shocks about 1/2" inch, and backed out the preload on the rear shock all the way to soften things up for trail use, and lower the seat height a tad for my wife. In addition, I decreased the compression on the front shock all the way, and slowed the rebound in the rear by two clicks. She loves the bike, that's for sure!

Chris

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
DougRoost said:
Skid plate is next and also considering a flywheel weight, so also appreciate any feedback on how well flywheel weights work on a KX100.
I've got the Moose Full Skid Plate, which is very nice. And I bought the Steahly flywheel weight that is 12 oz. The bike is still very fast, but it doesn't hit near as hard. The biggest benefit for trail riding is that instead of the powerband lifting the front tire on the steep climbs, it just gives the right amount of power. If you really want to get into it, it will still fly right up with no trouble, even with 235 lbs on it. I'll probably lighten the flywheel weight as she gets more and more comfortable with it, but for right now, this thing lugs just fine and is a blast to ride.

Chris

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
theroyz71 said:
ravencr,
Did you go to Alcoa Goodtimes Kawasaki for the test ride? I know they have Kawasaki and Yamaha. They seem preety friendly and helpful there.
She did test ride the TTR there, and she didn't want to ride the KX100, because she knew that after riding the TTR, she was never going to get that one, so the KX100 was the only other option. They are very nice there, but they are a complete rip off. I'll buy all my future bikes from one place: White's Motorsports in Fayetteville, TN. They are awesome!

Chris

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Maier-Pipe Guard
Works Connection-skid plate, radiator guards, frame guards
Cycra-Pro Bend Racer Pack handguards( I invested in them, they're great!)
patriotsprockets.com-bump the rear up two or three(I have one of these sprockets, they're magic)
Baja Designs- most likely have a lighting system

That should do it, but this is just my opion but I wouldn't restrict the throttle. Also you might want a FMF Q silencer.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Red Rider 53 said:
Maier-Pipe Guard
Works Connection-skid plate, radiator guards, frame guards
Cycra-Pro Bend Racer Pack handguards( I invested in them, they're great!)
patriotsprockets.com-bump the rear up two or three(I have one of these sprockets, they're magic)
Baja Designs- most likely have a lighting system

That should do it, but this is just my opion but I wouldn't restrict the throttle. Also you might want a FMF Q silencer.
Would you bump up the rear sprocket in addition to going one smaller in the front? I've already done the front, and for my fat butt, I'd like a little more grunt, but then again it's no 250. But, for her I'm thinking it's pretty good without going a tad bigger in the rear, but I could be wrong. Heck, the type of trail riding we do, she never goes past 3rd gear anyway.

Chris

Top Bottom