SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Well, after finally finding the perfect job back in '06, I was let go friday. I drove a Semi on a route monday through friday making GREAT money. There was 4 of us running 4 routes per day. they eliminated 1 per day and laid me off. It's VERY crushing for me, since I've waited a LONG time for a job like that, and my boss was the coolest to work for. Don't know what to do. I'm trying to stay positive and apply for every job that's not over the road(not many around here). Luckily my wife is supportive. Sucks too, just as I was about to buy my chest protector!hahaha ANyway, just had to post about it. Didn't think the recession would've got me. :bang:
Matt

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sorry to hear about that.

It's tough times for alot of folks right now, of all age groups. Keep your chin up, even if you have to temporarily take a job that is not as sweet.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bummer. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Might check in to options you had not considered. I know UPS has dat trip routs, my cousin does one. Another option my be transporting mail for USPS to their main terminals or even a postal route.

Hugebear

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 18, 2000
Sorry to hear that Matt. I've been there too, lost a job as a senior exec in a company that was acquired. As crappy as it feels right now I've never known anyone that didn't end up better off eventually. The key is getting out and talking to lots of people, let everyone in your personal network know you're looking and what you're looking for. You never know where the next opportunity might come from.

My dad drives OTR for Wal-Mart and they always seem to be hurting for drivers, and I know they do a lot of local stuff from their distribution centers. He drives out of Columbus, OH but I can check with him on opportunities in southern IN, (we're from Dubois County originally).

Hang in there man... :cool:

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
Sorry to hear man. Just goes to show no job is 100% safe right now. Anyways, I'll keep my ears open for oppurtunities since I live close to the area.

murf007

Dec 16, 2008
Sorry to hear that Matt. I've been there too, lost a job as a senior exec in a company that was acquired. As crappy as it feels right now I've never known anyone that didn't end up better off eventually. The key is getting out and talking to lots of people, let everyone in your personal network know you're looking and what you're looking for. You never know where the next opportunity might come from.

Hugebear, that is spot on advice.

I was made redundant from a job I loved. GUTTED!!
Within a month or two I was offered over twice the salary, small shareholding in company plus the normal perks!! And this can about by being in the right frame of mind ya gotta look at this as an opportunity. Get out a talk to people and show some passion for life, even if right now it ain't so flash don't let anyone else know that.

Murf.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Hugebear's comment about WalMart is worth looking into IMO. They are one of the few companies with HIGHER profits in these times.
Heard some good advice "lay low for a week or two to get your head back together and when things are again focused, hunt for job opportunities diligently."

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I was laid off back in March 2007 and am at a very nice new company luckily here in the same city. We have been told that everything is going well for our parent company but just found out yesterday that our office is doing bad. They let 4 people go and cut one had her hours cut. Never saw this coming here from what we have been told.

Hang in there Matt. Our economy has to bounce back soon if not now.

John.Jr

Jan 5, 2009
Matt, Im sorry to hear about your situation ,I WILL PRAY FOR YOU AND THE FAMILY, God allways respond when you talk to him and tell him your problems. Later Matt, John

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I can't thank all of you enough for your kind words of wisdom and motivation. I've been pounding the pavement. I applied at 10 places by yesterday. Other than gettin sick I'm trying to stay positive and motivated. You guys rock!!! I get to go riding for the first time on my new to me dirtbike this Saturday. Been dying to get her out since i bought it in December. Mom gave me my usual birthday cash early this year so I can get my chest protector!!!!hahaha My mom is the coolest woman ever! Made me feel 13 and I'm 31.haha thanks again guys! :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My dad drove for Ruan for many years in his second childhood. After a couple of false starts with companies that wanted hime to do questionable things he found he enjoyed what they had to offer. He wore out 3 or 4 rigs but was always home for the weekened and left on Monday. Finding just the right partner proved a bit of a chore and he left more than a handful of "casuals" standing on the side of the road but overal he felt they were pretty good to him. Not the same as being home every night but not a bad option.

Another idea would be delivery for any number of places, grocery store chains, cement delivery, even state or county road departments or even Lowe's. I am sure they all are looking for well qualified drivers.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Dave is a little slow or he would have changed 2 letters in that link from "PA" to "IN" for you :nener: click here

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'm a little slow? I'm a little slow? Did I say that twice? Did I say that twice? Am I repeating myself again? Hello, is anyone home? Who am I? How did I get here?

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Where i work over 70% of the work force is laid off but i'm still employed. 80% of our work had to do with construction so til the banks start giving loans to build we will be slow.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^ It's a "catch 22" IMO.
With people losing their jobs/things being slow, a bank won't loan (and shouldn't) money to people that show any risk of re-paying.
I'm stumped... what was first, the chicken or the egg?
Eliminate capital gains tax, cut taxes for the movers and shakers. We NEED our employers. Leaders/risk takers are a GOOD thing... if we penalize them because they're "rich" they'll lose incentive.

No, I'm not wealthy, just logical (I hope.)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
We definately need to promote small businesses that provide services and products to AMERICANS. My little town here was founded on manufacturing. We have a large General Electric facility, a coke plant(metal), a forge and a whole bunch of old buildings no longer in use. We lost a paper mill, a sterilization equipment producer, a shingle producer and several other large employers over the last 10 years. Most of which were moved out of the country. We really need to provide incentives for these companies to stay here. The oportunities for small businesses to be created is greatly increased when you can add a large employer to the area. Unfortunately, as we all know, it is equally as difficult for these businesses to survive when you remove that large employer. It's time America invests in itself, and as much as people like to complain about BO he seems to understand this.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I hope BO does, I just can't understand how his way (keeping in mind he's looking more and more like a foundationless puppet IMO) will work.
Oh so true we need to offer products/goods that can be exported, but can we be competitive with our labor rates/insurance scares/retirement packages?
About the only thing the USA exports anymore is our trash.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Retirement packages definately effect a companies cost greatly. Americans are already having to learn to save for retirement on thier own. It's simply not affordable for most companie to offer it anymore, especially with the cost of health care. We're going to have to learn to alter our lifestyles to save our country.

Top Bottom