Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
An 86 yr old Cuban, doing a little fishing, and casting a net for Shad bait fish.

193287563-L.jpg

193287547-L.jpg

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
There are a few more, at www.bryanspeed.smugmug.com

The light...well... hehe good question.
this was about uhm, 5:30 in the afternoon. I actually liked that the light was directional. If I had of used a small amount of fill flash from my SB800 flash, the shadows of the baseball cap would be less.

But I wanted to try without it. Although I only got about a dozen shots (smugmug posted about 6)
I did move from one side to the other - sun to the side, sun from behind.

depending on the person, they might move with you as they talk to you. Of course as he worked his Net and Pole, the light went where it did.

In Photoshop, one can use the Dodge/Burn tool. I did.
However, its not good straight out of the toolbox.

you need a 50% gray fill layer, in overlay mode. this layer will be "invisible" until you start using the dodge/burn tool. I use it as an action to create the layer faster.

this is the kind of photography I like the best.

Plus you get all kinds of interesting stories.
Before coming to America in about 1971, He raised and sold Bulls. And did quite well. Castro took his Money and Land.

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
Nice Bryan. I like the one where he's casting the net. You need to post that one to. The only thing of the set that I would like to see would be some more of the surrounding area to give what he's doing some context.

As far as fixing blown out highlights in a photo there's not much you can do after you take the photo. You can pull detail out of shadows, but you can't get any detail out of highlights.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
I wonder if some of you are seeing blown out highlites...whereas I dont...wel, not that all blownout...
"255" bright..yes. :nod:
I have a calibrated monitor at home, and a dell LCD here at work.
just curious. Also I think I forgot to change a few of the pics from adobe rgb to srgb

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'd love to see a real close-up of that face. That's a face with some character. The highlights in the second one are a little bright, but I can see there is still some detail in there. I don't think I'd call them "blown."

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
I also like the one where he is casting the net. I don't know anything about the techno stuff Bryan, but can confirm some simple observations about switching from monitor to monitor, and the whiteness level. (My opthomologist politely refers to me "highly analytical about my vision"...code I think for pita histrionic personality type, lol. Since this is a family forum we won't go into what I call him.)

Two simple observations: 1.) The brightness level/contrasts on the screens does make a difference. 2.) Observing the photos themselves with white versus dark surrounding screen (smug mug versus drn for instance) also affects how "harsh" the lighting seems, and whether it is distracting.

The shots on smugmug are worthy of view. Good job and thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom