Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Ya I'm outta shape. Must of happened about the time I became bike roadie for the "decrepit" Heartland Spode crew last July 13th. Time just hasn't been on my side since then and I've always heard "if you don't use it, you lose it" and I guess it applies to racing too. Any who- I've started trying to get back to at least where I was this time last year mainly by riding / racing more regularly.

The past several months here the weather has been uncooperative, as many have mentioned. It seemed as every weekend that Mother Nature allowed opportunity to race, our schedule didn't. Today the cards fell right and I ended up at the track. Not really sure why but the turnout was very light, probably because of all the series going on at All the other tracks, but that's a different topic.

Now this track is a club so they do things their own way. Classes are divided up into 4-stroke / over 30 / over 40 / 50's / 65's / 80 7-9 / 80 10-13 / and A/B/C/ D. The A/B/C/D classes are open cc classes just like the over classes and what ever I ride in, my 125 has to scream to stay up with the bigger bikes. In these classes it's not too bad because there's usually a pretty even mix of bikes sizes to riders skill level but not so in the over 40 class (the class I raced today). In that class everyone rides a big bike but me. I think it's an unwritten rule that only Jaybird and me get to ride 125's in that class. ;) Now I can honestly say that I used to be pretty competitive in the over 40 class even on a smaller bike but... with all the "older guys" riding these days the over 40 turnout has become one of the largest classes at the track. That of coarse means that there's a lot more racing going on in that class. I also don't remember all the old guys going as fast last year as they are now. My 1st moto I was about even getting out of the gate and hung okay to the 1st turn but I was on the outside (by choice) and got left in the dirt. I managed to pass a few over the next 2 jumps and corners and then come the straight. They said "bye bye". Though I never lost sight, I didn't have quite enough to clear all the obstacles right out of the turns like they did. Toward the end of the race I did manage to catch up with a few and even make a pass or 2 but my body said, "if you try that I'm going to punish you!"

My next moto was better. I got a better start and caught the inside on the 1st turn. Got to blow past a couple there and even passed someone on the straight, I think he let me by :ugg: . I was still running up the rear but not in dead last and making progress. The 5 laps seemed to go one forever! The thing that surprised me was how far I was jumping. I don't have a big problem hitting short distance jumps even if they launch me but flying anything over 50' I have to think twice about. Today was different. I was so tired that I actually looked forward to the airtime so I could rest. I easily cleared all the jumps except for a timing section that was a triple - double - triple. The landing from the 1st triple messes me up on the double so I double, suck, suck, almost triple. The other section is a double - step up with a kicker lip at the top then a step down. ( I didn't see anyone doing that.

Result, I finished 9th overall (9th 1st moto - 8th 2nd moto) and it took all I had in me. There is a knot in my back that must feel like I'm having a spinal pregnancy or could be a tumor. Seriously, the muscle is very taught. I felt like I was having a good day and I know I was riding fast and well. My props to all the over 40 guys out there, you're picking up the pace! Looking forward to the next race. :aj:

Last edited:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Congrats on the race Jeff. As for the knot in your back, isn't that normal for guys your age? :confused: :moon: :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by dirty~d~
Congrats on the race Jeff. As for the knot in your back, isn't that normal for guys your age? :confused: :moon: :)
I'm not sure if it's normal, I've never been this old before. :whiner:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Funny thing I notice about the aging, used to be the 'good old days' were something like 20 years ago..... now the 'good old days' were LAST YEAR!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
that is how i found myself on my first 250. my 125 just didnt pull ME hard enough. i felt like i was flying on the 125 because everything was hyper. shifting. throttle. it was so bad that when i fell asleep at night after a ride my clutch hand and shifting foot would twitch all night. used to drive my wife nuts. jay talked me onto a 250 and i just knew i was going to kill myself but soon found out that wasnt the case. i could go the same speed with way less effort. there is a weight difference that is apparent at first but soon goes away.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
tx256 beat me to it.
Jeff the best thing I ever did was to move to the 250. I thought I would miss the 125 (man I loved that bike) but it passed soon. The 250 is so much easier to ride and smother in all aspects. The weight diff took about 3 or 4 rides to get accustomed to but, speed and power are worth the trade off.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Congrats Jeff! :thumb:

Pretty soon you'll have to ride that hard to keep up with Tigger! :laugh:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
Ya I'm outta shape. Must of happened about the time I became bike roadie for the "decrepit" Heartland Spode crew last July 13th.

it's all gene's fault. i'm innocent :ugg:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
how could it be my fault? i showed you exactly how NOT to do that section. your bike is like "christene". she caught you looking at another bike and you know what jealous women.....er i mean bikes can do. im just like arnie, i bought her and gave her attention. ive been good to her and she has been good to me. i still havent seen her fix herself after a crash though. :laugh:

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I still can't believe both you guys did the same thing on the same section of the track that night. What really makes me wonder is why I didn't do it too, both you guys can ride circles around me and I made it. FYI, I was back up there a few weeks ago and it looks worse now than ever, no way I was gonna try it. I say it's worse, there were plenty of people doing it but it didn't look too friendly to me.

Top Bottom