The high cost of race engine maintenance

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
While discussing engine maintenance schedules with someone via e-mail I remembered this article written a few years ago by NHRA Pro Stock engine builder Warren (The Professor) Johnson. It reminded me how easy we have it, in the BIG scheme of things.

from Speed Reading by Warren Johnson

Before we closed the books on 1998, I tabulated what it took to win the Winston championship. We went through 54 drums of VP racing gasoline (2,970 gallons), 176 Goodyear rear tires, 648 titanium valve springs (at a cost of $72,090) , 2,000 ACDelco spark plugs, and 2,200 quarts of oil. The team was on the road for 120 days, and the transporter traveled 70,000 miles. When I consider that all of these resources and effort produced 68 quarter-mile runs in national event competition that totaled 477.363 seconds of track time, I have to question the underlying logic of my chosen profession. But what else could a person possibly do to have so much fun?

SEE, the life of your CRF450 piston might seem short compared to an XR400, but in the BIG scheme we have it comparatively easy. :thumb:

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Car craft had a great aritcle reguarding how long each part lasts (and the cost to replace them...) on a top fuel car. I beleive the pistons are trash after 3 passes. Lots of paperwieghts/ashtrays!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Man, I used to buy "used" Hoosiers, used skins, used just about everything and was always broke running rountrack dirt cars.
Heck, I hocked my first kid so I could buy race fuel! :)

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
We have a team here in Jersey campaigning a Big Block modified and doing quite well locally . We couldnt figure whether its more or less expensive to run a $15k Big Block or a $20k small block at a different track . The Big Block blows up less but the small motors parts are cheaper . On my friends IHRA Funny car (more less sportsman racing)hes using alot of older used stuff from some of the big guys NHRA teams and Hes got a Keith Black Hemi with a stitch or two in the block where something wanted to come out . Id definitely say that Big time Drag Racing eats the most money per amount of run or fun time .Ill bet that Formula 1 and Indy are way way higher . You know what racing probably puts out the most smiles per miles is?Ill bet its Lawnmower Racing . Check it out at www. lets mow .com or www. Golden Eagle . com or do a search on the web . They get going like 70 mph .

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
To revisit the subject, I enjoy how it is affordable for the average Joe to get the best stuff out there. Relativley speaking of course; you can't do that in automotive or superbike/motoGP stuff. Everything can be costly and exotic. My 2 bits.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
They also get paid A LOT more :whiner:

I wonder if they really do, overall. I imagine it to be very similar to pro MX riding. I think the top 25 guys in the country make a decent living. The rest??? I really have no idea, but do you really thing the guy that finished 30th in the last supercross points chase made any money?

Looking around the pits in Salt lake City was very fun. There were lots of big rigs, but just as many old vans with dirty bikes. Riders without mechanics....

Top Bottom