The kdx is indistructable! how to keep it that way?

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
So as a long time jeep guy I have to say I am amazed at the abuse my kdx takes and just keeps on ticking... I have been riding it all summer, all fall and part of the winter and it has NEVER had so much as a hiccup... Shortly after i got it i posted on here and got some tips on things to check on... I did almost everything you guys recommended: checked all bearing (f/r wheel bearings were loose so i replaced them), new chain and sproket, air filter, cleaned and adjusted carb etc. I am feeling like surely i am neglecting something because this is just to good to be true... So here's what i do and suggestions issues and maybe you guys can make some suggestions:
After each ride/before the next ride:
spray the chain with chain lube (o ring chain but i do it anyway)
tug at a few things randomly and make sure they don't fall off.
Every couple rides:
Check air filter (no toil filter still looks clean... Not surprising cause there's not much dust here).
Randomly spray moving parts with wd40
check for bearing play
change the spark plug
Every time its needed it:
New front and rear tires
new brake pads
planning to do when the weather gets bad:
Top end
Kips cleaning

The stuff I do I do mostly because I feel I should do SOMETHING... Its has never really indicated it needed any of this stuff. Lately I've been beating it like a red headed step child because I am hoping to do some racing and I want to get faster... Still runs fine, starts easily and has plenty of power... There are a few known issues I don't quite know how to fix:
Runs rich. Fouls plugs eventually (I replacement premtively and carry a spare... Never needed it) and spatter visible at exaust exit.
Exaust leaks right by the cylinder.. I know small leak is normal but a riding buddy (3 time Baja 1k vetran and very knowledgeable guy) told me this was more than normal and he thought it was missing a metal collar that went between the pipe and the cylinder... Did not know what it was called and neither did I... Nothing likely looking on rockymountain either.
I noticed water in the front wheel bearing on the odometer side when changing a tire... I think the seal around the odometer take off housing is beat?? How do I replace this?

So basically I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to fix any of these issues and if there is something else I should be checking/doing.
oh yeah: I run Klotz two stroke oil at 32:1...

EYY

May 22, 2010
If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to clean and grease the shock linkage and swing arm bearings. I usually do mine every 6 months or so. Those bearings dont seem to be very cheap, so you may want to add that to your list.

Fastsaki

Feb 11, 2004
Get a Top end Gasket kit when you rebuild your Top end. The copper exhaust gasket (metal collar) and new O-rings for the Pipe, it's all there in that kit.
Start by dropping your needle one notch. You should'nt be going through plugs like that. No cost to do it.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks guys.
glad to hear the too end gasket kit comes with those parts... The pics on rocky mountain did not show it but they were generic pics....

Another great day of riding today... Was unseasonally warm and sunny and I'm still off work for Christmas break do i got 60 miles in today :D

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I like dry silicon spray better than wd40 for shooting on the levers and foot peg pivots, it does not seem to collect dirt as much.

I also have a small funnel that I put my cables through then i wrap the spout to the cable with electrical tape and tie it up straight and put some oil in and let it make its way down through or sometimes I will even stick a shop vac on the other end of the cable.

+1 on dropping the needle on notch, I run my kdx at 40:1 and I have never fouled a plug, the only reason I have replaced it in 4+ years is I didn't feel right putting the same old plug in after I rebuilt the motor

i would suspect that after the top end and spending time tuning with the jets you will feel alot more power from your kdx

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
I run my KDX200 on 25:1 oil to fuel, I haven't fouled a plug yet. Its ALWAYS down to the jetting.

And the rest of you, if you want your bike to last longer, more oil in fuel, it may cost more but provides better performance and longevity. (I can provide numerous studies if needs be)

Top Bottom