bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
Or at least one Sunday event, then we'll see how he feels about the rest of the season. I hope Roselawn will be a good experience for him. :whoa:
Last fall at Wolverine we kicked around the idea of trying a Sunday event together for 2008. Then after my son getting the "Scholarship" for D14 membership at the awards banquet(a BIG thanks to Mike Mauer), it was all decided. We have his AMA competition card already and I am sending in his D14 membership app. this week.
After taking some advice from some riders on this forum, I will try to put him 10-15 minutes ahead of me. This way if he has trouble I should be not so far behind. Hopefully I will not be father behind.

Are there any other FES 16-19 yr old class winners moving to Sunday events? Or any riders changing to a Sunday ride?

Now all I have to do is get his bike road legal. This is always a pain in the butt. Last time I road licensed a bike, I got in an argument with the SOS worker about not having an odometer for mileage on the title or a speedo on the bike. The other thing is that the Hudsonville Police Department is no longer, and I have to go to the County Sheriff's. I hope they are as nice about it as the police dept was. If anyone knows of a fellow rider in my area that has the authority to inspect my bike and sign my On Road Inspection form, please let me know.
Any way, I am both excited and nervous about the upcoming season. If any other parents have any stories about moving their kids into the Sunday events, please post them.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
My daughter and wife are going to try one of the Sunday rides. Not sure what minute to put them on but they are going to ride the same minute so that they can help each other. F+S volunteered to ride same minute to help any graduate. Good Luck.

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
That is a very generous offer and I will keep it in mind.
What will probably happen is, if I do catch up to my son I can ride with him to the next reset or restart. After all, I really ride for the fun of it and not for the points.
Last fall we did a few tests to see how fast he rides. I let him go 10 minutes ahead of me on event type trail on some private property we ride on. It took me 8.4 miles to catch him. I think I should be safe to say that in most timed sections it will be a close race to the check out. I worry more about getting over big logs and out of mud holes. Not alot of that stuff to practice on, if any, on DNR trails.
It's going to be interesting how some of the new kids (I don't know if we can call them kids anymore) do in the Sunday events.

D14openA

Mar 12, 2007
bterp67 said:
I worry more about getting over big logs and out of mud holes. Not alot of that stuff to practice on, if any, on DNR trails.
It's going to be interesting how some of the new kids (I don't know if we can call them kids anymore) do in the Sunday events.

bterb67
I dont know how close you are to the Lansing area, but i have some woods, that are quite similar to Roselawn. I have a bout 3.5 miles of tight single track, with logs, 2 creek crossing and a little bit of rocks. If you want to, you and your son can ride here to help him out for the Big kids enduro's. Let me know.
Nick Rasmussen

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
D14openA said:
bterb67
I dont know how close you are to the Lansing area, but i have some woods, that are quite similar to Roselawn. I have a bout 3.5 miles of tight single track, with logs, 2 creek crossing and a little bit of rocks. If you want to, you and your son can ride here to help him out for the Big kids enduro's. Let me know.
Nick Rasmussen
You have practice track and never invited ME!
No pitting for you this year! :nener:

D14openA

Mar 12, 2007
Tom,
Hey i just sold my bike, so i should have the new one ready by Spring. If you are healed and ready to come riding then, hell yeah, come on over and ride. I get bored riding by myself.
Nick Rasmussen

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
D14openA said:
Tom,
Hey i just sold my bike, so i should have the new one ready by Spring. If you are healed and ready to come riding then, hell yeah, come on over and ride. I get bored riding by myself.
Nick Rasmussen

Nick
Tommy can't ride-knee repairs pending soon. But he makes a fine pit biotch for sure-he helped me a great deal at Goshen unp until the unfortuante finger shortening incident.

Ohhhhh! A new Katoom! 300 E start??? :nod:

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
D14openA said:
bterb67
Nick Rasmussen

Thanks for the invite.
One of our private land "get ready spots" is in Ionia along the river valley. Lots of terrain there. Ionia is about 50 minutes from Hudsonville, so Lansing is a bit farther but not out of the question.
I'm really going to have to get to know some of the people on this forum this year. I have a hard time putting forum names with real names, but I think I am getting some figured out.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
D14openA said:
DW,
I am going to get the new one this weekend, and it is going to be blue. How you doing anyways ?
Nick Rasmussen
I’m doing really good Nick .You?

It’s good to hear you’re on blue. Did you find an 08’ YZ 250?..

I’ll be riding in your class this season as I partitioned Tom Dunn to go from AA class back to A class due to only having 4 toes and 3 fingers left after a few internet squabbles….Tom said OK as long as I supply him drinks - marijuana and hallucinogenic drugs at the district 15 awards banquette. I told him no problem as my mother in-law is currently in Florida right now and her home un occupied for the winter. Great guy right there! Easy too!

AFTER MY LAST BRIBE

DSC01261.jpg

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
All you guys switching to blue, what rows you plan on riding next year? I don't want to ride on a row behind you or I may slice up my tires all the hell from the parts falling off the bikes on the trails. ;)

I guess this is the year to switch over to bib mousse's instead of tubes then.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Freddy I already run the bibs so I'll be all set when you're E-Starter falls off your bike :rotfl:

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
fatherandson said:
fatherandson = Mike Maurer
Fatherandson,
Oops, I spelled your last name wrong. Sorry Mike.
Anyway, thanks for the offer. I will try to get in touch with you at Roselawn to let you know what minute my son will be on, just in case you see him on the trail. This way you can keep track of one of your graduates. We should be going to Roselawn with Doug Norlin, I believe you know him or at least Fred does. Doug is going to start the enduro series again too. That's good for him but bad for me, due to him possibly being in the same class as me.
See you at Roselawn.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
No worries on the spelling...I just received two emails from other MTRs and each of them spelled it differently and BOTH were wrong.
I hope to be at Roselawn on Friday night to help with the FES event. It will be good to see Doug back at the races. Fred and I saw him at the Muddobber trail ride last year.

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Geeese Maurer..............I never even realized I was spelling your name wrong too all this time! Why didn't you say something. :laugh:

Then again.............F&S is pretty easy.

And I must admit, the spelling of my name on those fancy engraved handguards that I got at the banquet was spelled wrong too.................Gonna have to mash a tree a few times with them and see if I can smudge em up a little. :)

D14openA

Mar 12, 2007
Wolverine423 said:

I’ll be riding in your class this season as I partitioned Tom Dunn to go from AA class back to A class due to only having 4 toes and 3 fingers left after a few internet squabbles….Tom said OK as long as I supply him drinks - marijuana and hallucinogenic drugs at the district 15 awards banquette. I told him no problem as my mother in-law is currently in Florida right now and her home un occupied for the winter. Great guy right there! Easy too!

AFTER MY LAST BRIBE
DSC01261.jpg
DW,
Thats some funny shat right there. Thats great we seem to battle it out over and over again so this will make for a great season. All is well with me, as i am just starting school back. Tell Cody hi, and i'll see you at the first round.
Nick

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
bterp - my son will be giving the Sunday events a shot in 08 as well. F&S's AMA "scholarship" was a deciding factor in nudging him over as well (thanks Mike!) (I do need to remind Mitch to get his membership sent in soon though...)

As of right now, seems he is thinking Jackpine to be his first big event - and I suspect he may also do some FES events along the way. Roselawn in April might be another good first one - but I had not really been planning on doing it myself (gas costs to damn much now!). I had been thinking I would ride the same minute as he would to help provide some support for him - just curious what the rational is for riding 10 to 15 minute behind him? Perhaps that is something I should consider doing myself.

Anyhow - see you and your son out there next year! I am a proud dad as well, seeing Mitch move up to the big events this year! 07 was only his second summer on a bike - so he is moving along quickly as a rider!

dave2005

Jun 1, 2007
Hey Nick, my name is Dave and I used to play football with you back in the day. Good ol KICS football. Hey man get a hold of me bro.

Dave Arnold

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
KTM Mike,

I was going to try to talk to you after the Enduro banquet to see if your son Mitch was going to try a Sunday event in '08, but we had a long ride home and I left right away. And congradulations to both you and Mitch on your trophies.
Are you as nervous as I am about turning you son loose on real event? I have to keep telling myself that my son is 17 now and it's time. The reason for letting him go 10-15 minutes ahead of me is, that I am being a bit selfish and want to enjoy most of the trail at my pace. I also like to compare my score to see where I stand in the B class. If he does has trouble I should be coming behind him and I can give him a hand and ride behind him to the next reset.
I know what you mean about fuel cost to get to some events. I have never been to Marquette and I am going to try to make it this year. We are going to try to get 4 bikes on the trailer to split gas. Yikes, the Suburban likes fuel!
I'll try and look you up at the upcoming events.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
bterp - thanks. Both Mitch and I had a good, and fun season in 07. Was your son one of the 2nd or 3rd place finishers in Mitch's FES class?

Yeah, I do worry - any Dad does I guess. But Mitch has a level head. You are right though that you don’t encounter "real event" type conditions on public trail. I will not encourage Mitch to do the Moose yet - he has never ridden stuff remotely like that before. To me, from this years schedule, Roselawn, Jackpine, Harrison and Wolverine sound like the most "newbie friendly" events - so those are the ones I will encourage. I plan to work Wolverine, so if Mitch rides it, he may need a row partner.

We hope to spend some time practicing on the trails we have at home for logs and tight bark busting. If you ever make it up this way, lets plan a ride - I have a woods loop on my property, plus live along the MCCT between the Hunt Creek and Atlanta loops - would be good practice for the "kids" young and old!

Good point on following behind so you can ride your own pace. I really have not decided yet - I think I will leave it up to where Mitch wants me - he may or may not want me right there the whole time!

Fuel cost - I usually drive a V-10 Excursion, towing a big toy hauler to the races. It has a bit of a drinking problem. I am happy when I see 8 mpg when towing! To think, that until recently that was my wife's daily driver! (duh...)

Top Bottom