Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I sent this out to my buddies a few days ago:
last Monday when working at my desk an unmistakable pain emerged when I looked up at the clock. It was exactly like a pinched nerve I remember from 2005 when I ended up having neck surgery, but not nearly as severe as back then. I can still move my head easily side to side and pretty much up and down but I occasionally get a "spike of pain" and "tingling" in my right hand when I move it into the "Sweet spot" I immediately became depressed and tried things to loosen the shoulder up including massage therapy, stretching, flexural and Aleve.. As of today the problem remains and for now I cannot ride until I get it confirmed, it was very uncomfortable last Tuesday when I rode as I cannot hold my head up comfortably when I stand. So I am depressed and frustrated and if you have called me this week and I've acted a little unsocial this is the reason. I'm sorry.

My hopes are that I've caught it very early and possibly I can have some treatments that are less critical than surgery and possibly recover in a month or two. Worst case is that I am out for the entire season and will need a full year to recover again. I guess I need to see if a Leatt Brace will fit me if I get back on a bike.

It's driving me crazy until I know exactly what is going on and what can be done about it. END OF E MAIL

So today I went to my Dr and we feel at this time that we can do conserviative treatment and possibly not have surgery, but time will tell. I had x rays done and looked at them my self but I am no radiologist. I know that things are not as bad as before and feel that in the past 2 days I have made some progress but not enough to make conclusive decisions that i will be Ok yet. I am suing a massage bed designed to stretch out and realign the spine and it seems to be helping, if it works I will buy one and have it at home. (google MIGUN) I also have had massage theropy and will start PT Thursday for 3 weeks to give it a go. My Leatt Brace will be here by Friday, and i will never set on a bike with out one again. So maybe I'll be Ok and maybe this won;'t work but it's worth a try because if I do have surgery I'm out for the entire season and will take all of next season to recover. I ain't beat yet but I may have to re think things for the future. And I was just getting to know my new 2 hunny too. :think:

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Sorry Fred. I hope you get better soon. I got a pinched nerve in my neck last year 2 days after Roselawn-1. It really sucks.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Fred - hang in there! You did much better than I did last summer in that you saw the Doc right away and have treatment started. Dont do what I did!

I made the mistake of not taking care of it as soon as I should of. (injury was in July - no real treatment started until October) End result for me looks like may be some permanent nerve damage. Doc used the analogy of nerves normally running at broadband speeds, while those to my left leg now run on dial up. He attributes that to pressure on the nerve for to long before it was relieved. Had I started sooner (like you did) may not of been an issue. He did say, with another year or so of time it may correct.

Keep up the PT and other treatments!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sorry to hear it my friend. Hopefully it's not as bad as before and you get by it quickly. Heal-up bro. Stay as positive as possible... as crazy as it sounds, I swear it helps.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Good luck Fred, I hope you heal up soon, and can still race this season

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Fred,
I am sorry to hear about this. I hope it heals quick! I am looking forward to seeing/meeting you at the Light Team starting line.

Do not get depressed, keep your eye on the prize, regardless of how long it may take to heal.

I have not heard of pinched nerve neck issues with riding untill now. I thought the Leat brace was mostly for collar bone/broken neck protection. Perhaps we all should look into the Leat braces.

Good Luck Fred

Fred B.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
tdunn976 said:
Freddy,
Do what the Doc tells ya and get this thing nipped!
The 2 hunny will be waiting patiantly. :)
Maybe you can borrow that 200?...Bike whore ;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
09oneL said:
Fred,
I am sorry to hear about this. I hope it heals quick! I am looking forward to seeing/meeting you at the Light Team starting line.

Do not get depressed, keep your eye on the prize, regardless of how long it may take to heal.

I have not heard of pinched nerve neck issues with riding untill now. I thought the Leat brace was mostly for collar bone/broken neck protection. Perhaps we all should look into the Leat braces.

Good Luck Fred

Fred B.

The Leatt protects against cervical spine injury and paralysis. It limits how far your neck can be bent and twisted in the event of a crash, it also helps against compression of the cervical spine. My problem is that I have one fusion now at C6-C7 and now C7-T1 is taking a beating and getting compressed. IF I have that fused then it just go's on and on like dominoes.

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
Hey Fred - Sorry to hear about your pain...

Stay positive - follow the doc's orders and you will be riding in no time.

I hope to be walking in the next week as my heel is just starting to heal up. I will be side lined from racing for a few months myself...

Hang in there,

Craig

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Fred,

I know this sucks and it's hard as hell to do...but do what those quack Dr.'s say man. Most of us on here are probably bullhead-stubborn type "A" personalities....no "probably" for DW :laugh: ....and like to think that we can diagnose ourselves yada-yada. Rest up, listen to the Doc and keep getting those massages/treatments!!

Don't ride until you can do it without pain buddy :yell:

Keep on keepin' on!! :ride:

Mark

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Just take a hammer to your big toe before every race - Then what ails you is all gone away....Toss back a can of Monster for the trip home, XBox360 all day Monday and you have your grip for the weeks training :cool:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Hang in there.....I have been there with the neck pain and it's no fun at all.

We'll keep you in our prayers.

nickolino

Feb 21, 2008
:debil: Freddy, Freddy, Freddy you should not have let them daytona beach babes sit on you your not a young man anymore you know. Get well soon. See you at roselog.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks Guys. I don't have a problem listening to Dr's. I probably got this diagnosed in record time, most people screw with it for a few months before they finally get it correctly diagnosed. Being that i am a veteran of Neck Surgery I took myself off the bike with in 2 days, I had a call into the Dr with in 3 days and saw a Dr in 8 days after it started hurting . My problem is that even if I go get more surgery I'll just end up back in this position again unless I just sit on the couch the rest of my life and then there's no guarantees that the next disc won't blow out anyway. Thats the problem with disc fusion it just passes the problem down to the next disc, I hope there is disc replacement options available now at least. I know of 3 people that race bikes and had their necks fixed and they have more time on the repairs than I and they are still fine. I don't seem to be that lucky. I'm pissed. This has been coming on since last November and i didn't know if because it was overlooked when I had an EMG for my carpal tunnel surgery, it was diagnosed on that report November 2008. Thanks for all your well wishes, I appreciate that you all care. Thanks.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Hope it gets better Freddy, we still have a lot of racing to do.
I raced with the Leatt brace in NC & FL it didn't take long to get used to it.
Don

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
tdunn976 said:
I would but for the life of me,
Can't figure if it's lite or heavy class bike though?
lol....Nice dig :cool: Trying to trash this thread eh? :nod:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom