The lazy man's way to wash your riding pants.

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
After a particularly muddy and sweaty ride the other day, I simply left my helmet, pants and boots out on the porch after spraying the bike off. I was flat out killed from kicking, and picking up my 200cc Wunderpig, and couldn't be bothered with cleaning them. I hit the sack.
Poor pants and boots. There they sat for a days, fully encrusted with Eastern KY's finest creekbed mud. I finally cleaned my boots and goggles, but couldn't bring myself to wash those O'Neal pants. IF ONLY THEY WERE MACHINE WASHABLE! I spent a good 15 minutes on cleaning them last time. There had to be a better way.
There is now. After coming back from riding again, I saw the pants sitting there on the porch as I went inside to take a shower. I had a brainstrom; I throw the pants in the shower with me, and let them soak before I wash them tonight. As I showered, I nudged the pants to get them good and soaked when it hit me. Why not just put them on and clean 'em? I did, and it worked great. I got them twice as clean as the last time, and in only about 4 minutes. And since I was in the shower, there was no mess to clean up afterwards. I AM THE MAN!!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Hey, you can wash ALL your clothes like that ;)

I put all my gear right in the washing machine after I hose off the big chunks of mud. Never had a problem. I know people that put their goggles in the machine too.

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
Even your helmet? Looks like you'll be needing a new agitator sometime soon. What is the lazy man's plan for helmet care? I sprayed some Febreeze in there to deodorize, but now its worse that ever. I'm tempted to take a water hose and detergent to it. IF ONLY IT HAD A REMOVABLE LINER!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I throw all my gear in the washer (yes even goggles), but of course my helmet has a removable liner. If yours is one of the non removable variety just clean the inside with a bucket of soap and water, let it sit on a shelf right side up and point a fan towards the inside to dry it out.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
If my wife saw me in the shower with my riding gear on, the first thing she'd do is take a picture, then head to Lowe's for a new shower.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Take a larger than necessary cooler to the ride. When you are done riding toss the gear in the cooler along with some water and a couple of full cans of whatever to agitate the mix, add a little laundry powder and they'll be considerably cleaner when you get home.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
For those times when Okie and Pokie come home really muddy, we lay the clothes in the grass, boots, helmets and all, and after power washing the bikes, we powerwash the clothes. If they are really bad, we spray them then with Simple Green and then throw them in the washing machine - they come out spotless! :)

above posted by shiftless.... using my log-on!!!... ban that woman!
the real Pokie

Last edited:

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Not machine washable?

I wash and machine dry my Oneal Hardware gear and my sons Elements gear all the time. They are not thread bare or faded?

vetwfo'er

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by RedRyder
O'Neal pants. IF ONLY THEY WERE MACHINE WASHABLE!

You mean you read the label??? Hogwash (pardon the pun) Throw em in. Just put it on the delicate cycle and you will be fine goggles too.

WARNING. DON'T PUT YOUR GOGGLES IN THE DRYER!! THE FRAME WILL WARP AND SHRINK. Just let them air dry.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Just hang them up with the mat hangers at the car wash and power wash them when you do the bike (same for the boots). Then just hang dry them in the garage.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My plan is even EASIER! I come home and pile my gear by the washing machine then like magic the washing machine elfs pull the pads out, wash and dry the gear and hang it up on some nice sturdy hangers. Don't ask me where they came from 'cause I don't know but I sure hope they'll get stuck in the applicances when we move!:confused:

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Really Patman? I thought you dropped them off at the .75 cent drycleaners.:) Or maybe that's the cape.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Power wash them, I always do after pretty much every ride. My pants stink like hell if I don't....

95cr250jbw

Jun 14, 2000
Gear Cleaning

I agree with Patman. I bring my gear home and set it by the washer. The next time I go riding it is washed and folded in my gear bag. It is even soft because of the fabric softener.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Patman, I have a ashing geenie too, my mom and dad!!! They are great, hand them the gear bag, and the next day, PRESTO, clean gear.
The ket to clean gear is my moms
(actually mine) blend of stain removers. Get every stain remover and detergent available add some goof off, some goo gone, some ink remover, and anythin alse that is not too caustic into the wash and you will have very clean gear. Also works well for rags but leavs a nasty film on the washing machine!:confused:
The above mixture also works on gloves, helmet pads, clotches that you stain working on your bike, and google frames.
Then everything bt the pants and jersey go into the drier to be dried up. I find that pressurewashing gear makes the dirt get embedded in it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Kawie, I'd be careful if I were you. Mixing chemicals like that can cause a few problems sometimes. You mentioned adding "Goof Off" in the concoction...well, Goof Off is one of the most caustic chemicals you can pull off the shelf. I'm sure you mixture works, but be careful mixing things. I can assure you that Goof Off alone will take out any stain your full mixture can.

I treated some coveralls that I got some good ole Ford auto paint on. When the wife washed them, it stunk up the whole house. I'm now forbidden to use Goof Off on any clothes, without prior approval of course! :)

Added word of advise: Hang your pants to dry, don't use the dryer!

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I believe you don not want to use fabric softener on your gear though.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO WASH YOUR GEAR?????

I must try that sometime.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
When I get home from riding , my 6 year old son likes to put on my dirty boots and helmet and walk around while I wash my bike. Works well, cause when I'm done with the bike I tell him "hold still" while I blast off the boots and helmet, now "turn around" !

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by Patman
My plan is even EASIER! I come home and pile my gear by the washing machine then like magic the washing machine elfs pull the pads out, wash and dry the gear and hang it up on some nice sturdy hangers. Don't ask me where they came from 'cause I don't know but I sure hope they'll get stuck in the applicances when we move!:confused:
I thought you didn't wear any pants anyway?:confused:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I thought you didn't wear any pants anyway?
Only when I ride, since I spend so much time sampling dirt and rocks.:D

Top Bottom