The long awiated high low tunning guide update.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Guys here s a rough draft of some Tunnng gude changes.. Let t rpe and thans for the feedbac.MX-Tech tuning guide Updates 02

During the last few years and the increased use of high and low speed compression adjusters MX-TECH has decided to make some updates to our existing tuning guides.

High-speed compression:
The high-speed compression is an upper range adjustment of the low speed clicker. The high-speed adjuster will have a minute impact on the overall upper speed range.

If you find that the suspension is using two much travel in large round bumps, jump faces, or whoops increasing the high speed compression should improve the chassis tendency to use too much travel. Conversely if you find the bike does not feel compliant enough and does not load sufficiently on jump faces or the bike places to much weight on the front wheel adjust the high speed softer. (Consider whether you have a fork problem first however. If you find you still are having problems after several adjustments look to the fork.)

Low-Speed compression:
The low speed is a lower range adjustment and should be used in conjunction with the high speed.

If you find the motorcycle uses too much travel in corners, (deep ruts under acceleration or feels like it responds too rapidly to rider weighting input stiffen the low speed compression. If you find traction poor in slick conditions and the bike does not respond to subtle rider input reduce low-speed compression.

Things to consider:

Bumper forks may not always give you full travel. This is a positive and negative aspect of the system. If you find that you’re not using full travel, don’t be alarmed. Consider lowering your oil ht but don’t attempt to create bottoming with big changes in clickers. If you bottoming is occurring on jump landings, that don’t involve a g-load, don’t except to achieve any thing with clickers. Consider oil ht, or internal valving changes.

If you have a harsh spike lower in the fork that does not quite include a total bottom, you should stiffen the fork with oil ht and a few clicks of compression, this will slow the fork more before you make contact with the elastomer.

Bladder forks use a speed sensitive restrictive barrier. If you find that the fork bottoms add oil like any other fork. However be sensitive to how the speed sensitive aspect may play into the configuration. If the track has lots of g-loads, or places on the track that cause the fork to compress deep in the stroke whilst hitting bumps, you should be aware that bladder design will additionally compound the damping and spring energy trapping tendencies. You may end up with a very harsh fork that resists bottoming well. I find it best to minimize the use of the balder. While we do recommend its use, we don’t suggest running very low oil hts for outdoor riders. If your not using full travel reduce the oil ht. But don’t run less than 80mm to actually use the forks system.

Offroad riders can use the bladder to actually reduce the effect of oil ht, just run hts in excess of 95mm; if you run it low enough you can reduce the air spring to almost nothing.

Side to side to kick.. Side to side kick in braking bumps is an indication of rebound packing. Reduce the low speed rebound and keep the clutch out!

In soft conditions always run stiffer compression, you’ll find that the suspension feels softer when it’s harder. DO NOT EVER try to make your suspension more compliant in soft conditions by reducing compression. The first step in soft condition tuning, is getting the bike up in the stroke, by adding compression, this makes the bike plusher. Add compression till you have a solid stable chassis. Then add shock rebound till you track with every bump. Always start fast or out on rebound and work in from there.

If the bike feels harsh under acceleration, reduce rebound till you reduce the packing and gain enough compliance.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I like the clarification of the HSC adjuster...it is commonly misunderstood, and compounded by drivel from "the mags". I also compliment you on your use of "common english", as I find this is easily overlooked when discussing technical subjects.

The only comment I might make would be to perhaps clarify the comment "The first step in soft condition tuning, is getting the bike up in the stroke, by adding compression" as I fear some may confuse LSC with springs. Critical SOB aren't I? :) LOL!

Top Bottom