Lizard Lips

Oct 22, 2003
If you only knew the effort I put into my KDX 220 to make it as fast as my buddies KDX 200. All the research, all the money. And I went all out!!- carbon fiber reeds, RB Designs bore job, FMF Rev pipe- I even cut a gaping hole in the airbox lid and retuned the suspenson. And do you think after all of that effort I would be able to keep up with him?? Nope. Because yesterday he traded in his beloved bike for a KX 500. The ground shakes when this beast sits there idleing. He don't need no stinking "rev pipe" to catapult himself up the steepest hill- now all he has to do is just hang on for dear life. The bum. Now I'll never catch him.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I know how you feel Liz. My riding bud, Kawadougie, had a KDX200 and I have the KDX220. He now has a 2003 KX500. There are a couple of consolations for you though. He will eat a rear tire about every three rides. Has he let you ride it yet? That thing vibrates my hands so much that after about 15 minutes I can't feel them any more.
Here is the sure fire way to beat him....go for a 50 mile loop some day. Garanteed he will run out of gas before you and when he finally pushes that thing back to the truck, you can be sitting there crushing the last beer can and asking what took him so long.

Lizard Lips

Oct 22, 2003
You are so right! We strapped the thing down to his dynometer and tried to bump start it in 5th gear last night- the back tire sits on the dyno's 1300 lb drum connected to an electric motor - and the 500 has so much compression that it did not so much as budge! Of coarse it chewed up the rear tire doing this, so he is already going through rear tires and he has'nt had it out to the desert yet! So he ended up kick starting it. Lots of vibration. He's going to be riding a 200 lb vibrator. No wonder he's always smiling. I'm stocking up on beer and staying with my 220.

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
Bar end inserts may be a help. I have a KDX and a KX500. It vibrates but I bought mine with the inserts already installed and it really doesn't bother me that much. The big one sure is a hoot!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
http://www.fasstco.com/html/bar_inserts.html

I bought mine at Rocky Mountain.

They work great! My hands don't go numb anymore!

I used to go numb the first 10 minutes of every ride all the way past my elbows if I did not stop and take a little break and shake it off, and when you ride with 'Carvr you don't get to take those little breaks anymore, just when you think he's stopping (he's actually just waiting for me to catch up!), he'll say to me "quit yer whining Wibbens" and in an instant, he blasts off down the trail! ;)

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks for the lead on the bar inserts Wibby.

I know what you mean about not taking breaks. Kawadougie does the same to me but now that $#^& is on a KX500! :flame: ;) My excuse is that I wait for his dust to settle before I take off to follow him, but he knows better. :whiner: Does 'Carvr ever let you lead? That's a trick 'Dougie does to me when he wants a rest, or there is a deep water crossing ahead. He knows he will catch me, so I take off, he rests, catches me, then he leads again. Or else, there is a hazard ahead, he finds me stuck and laughs or he finds I made it so no problemo for him and he charges through, catches me, passes, and again I follow.

Here's a tip to help you keep up with him: Keep a small screwdriver hidden on you and offer to help him unload his bike. Without his knowledge, adust the compression and rebound settings all the way to the softer side. Front and rear if you can, but if not, then just the rear. That bike will spank his A$$ so much, he'll have to slow down. If your lucky, he won't think to check the adjustment until after he gets it home. :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom