INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
The Monday Riders are a different bunch,
For they never know where they’ll be for lunch.
The ride for the day,
Starts with – “let’s go this way”.

Daisy and Phil are a couple of CT’s,
Riding them is a breeze.
Along with another CT-90 and a Passport,
This group easily gets out of sorts.

Before we’ve gone the first mile, Randy and Woodsy are way out in front. One likes to lead and the other doesn’t care to be beaten. The obvious result is a race that happens on the often side. Then there are times the reverse is true. Hoot owl Woodsy must have 360 vision because he’s liable to stop at any time to pick up a nail, his camera batteries or turn in to a driveway. It is essentially, never a dull moment.
Our first real stop is at a graduation party Larry had an invitation for. It being a motorcycle family, four mopeds coming in the driveway didn’t shake anyone. Some did come over and check out the assortment though. Had this been a thoroughly planned ride, Woodsy and his hair helmet might have caused a different situation.
On the way down the driveway, the question of going north or south came up. The answer was – let’s head for the lake – which happened to be west. What would you expect from those that are directionally mixed up and at times lost. Since I’m not real familiar with the area, I can only guess that we were near Whitehall. At least there were boats going in and out the channel, and one had the word - Sheriff – on its side. After checking out the area, we did head south, stopping at a small store for refreshments. While there, a woman comes over, starts talking about the CT’s and guessing the year. She had grown up riding one and was only a year off on Woodsy’s. It’s a little surprising how many people are fascinated and interested at seeing these old bikes out running around. There is also horn blowing and waving as we cruise along.
Getting to leave after a pit stop, the CT Randy is on has a gas leak. The float repair has not held, so it’s head for the house the shortest way. This almost worked. With about half a mile to go something locks up and it’s tow time. The day is yet young, so Larry fires up a Honda Elite and we keep heading south. I’m never sure what these three locals are cooking up and don’t know where we’re headed until we get there. At one point Randy and Woodsy are ahead out of sight and I’m just following Larry. We turn a corner, pull over and stop. I’m informed that – we’ll wait for them. It turns out the other two were going to take a short cut and Larry out foxed them. That is how we wound up at Pete’s place.
After re-introductions and what have you, I hadn’t seen Pete since the ’05 SOW ride, he gets out a scooter of some kind, his SO Kateland hops on and we set off. Five bikes and six people qualify us as a gang. At one point we turn in to a country club and I’m trying to figure what kind of a rumble this is will turn into. All is well, as it is only a check the parking lot loop and back out to the road. These kinds of excursion loops actually happen quite often, which is why we cover 40 miles getting to a place only 20 miles away.
As we are coming in to Grand Haven along the lake, I start having trouble shifting. The lever is slipping on the shaft and tightening the bolt is of little help. It is also starting to get dark and some concern about lights and the law. Since we got there by the back roads, no reason why we can’t return the same way. I get around the shifting problem by not doing any. It’s slow picking up speed in 4th gear but works OK.
Pete and company peel off to head for home, while we get into Muskegon somewhere along the lake and stop for a late supper. During the discussion period we solve the world’s problems, talk about anyone that wasn’t there to defend themselves and determine what color to whitewash the church. Once these things are done it’s time to fire up once more and move out. At M-120 Woodsy peels off to head east and the rest of us head for Larry’s house, our original starting point. It is the end of the ride and the day, literally, as it is just past midnight.
Other than a short stretch of blacktop path, there was no single track dodging trees on this ride. What counts is that we were out having a good time with no set destination and no timekeeping involved. That we were also the Monday Riders doing something on a Saturday meant a lot to me. It was another adventure to put in the memory book of life.

Young Ted

Attachments

• Daisy & Phil.jpg
    Daisy & Phil.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 232
  • The Four.jpg
    The Four.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 239

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Look Ma the "Yahoos" gang!!!!!!!
Looks like a great atempt at enjoying life.
Don

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Sounds like the IWAACers had a heck of a good time out there. Ive been itchin for a little scooter like that. Maybe Next year. Digger is getting a new ride in the spring and his 100 is going to get Dual sported. Then Ill have something to play with. Its already got the lighting. All I need is a tailight, tires and $35 and its legal.

Hey Ted. If its your shifter that is toast and not the splined shaft I have one off my sons CRF100 that I am sure would slide right on there. Its yours if you want it. Digger is running an IMS folding tip shifter and has no need for the stock one. Going Once....Twice......

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
As the owner of 2-1983 CT110's them are the one's with all the power I can say they are the hardest motorcycle in the world to drive so hats off to your ride you survived.

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
I think that a "Phil" is stuck in the ground at the LMC clubgrounds by the swingsets for the children to play on. If my memory is correct, it may even be the same color. Looks like you fellas had a pretty neat day! :nod:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Don - The attempt was successful.

Mike - When Woodsy gets time, he is supposed to add his side and some pictures. It may not be until next week though. I just try to my part.

Don - It is a combination of both. I'm in the process of keying it with a 10-24 screw.

Nick Z - The CT-90 gets tricky to handle in deep sand, otherwise the only problem I have is getting mixed up on which end of the shift lever to hit.

Nick R - The CT-90 at the LMC gounds is a "brother" to PHIL. The third "brother" was raffled off right away those few years ago. Just a little history to pass on.

Young Ted

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Great story Ted. Another adventure with Woodsy And Larry, what could be better. Maybe a 12hr ride with Tim and Ian

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
3KDXXR2 said:
Maybe a 12hr ride with Tim and Ian

It's not too late.........departing Grandma's house in Twin Lake at 7:00am Saturday morning!

Hoping to leave the Whitecloud trailhead with a full tank by 0800 plus or minus.

Other scheduled gas stops are, in order, Bowman Bridge, M37 trailhead lot north of Wolf Lake, M55 crossing near Caberfae, and Bridge over the Manistee south of Baxter.

Grilled meat and beverages at the cabin on Saturday evening.

:cool:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks for the consideration, but My daughter has a playoff game Sat. Plus I would just slow you guys down , Have a great time!

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Fun story and good pics. :cool:

By coincidence when I was out looking for junk engines to rip apart, I saw no less than four bikes similar to these two beauties. They were selling for about $700 apiece. Very "cute"!! :ride:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
del

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
del

Last edited: