Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thursday was a weird day for me. I was invited to my X's and her husbands house for Thanksgiving, I'm sure for Tiggers sake since it her day with mom. As soon as we finished eating it was to the track for Tigger & me. By the time we got there it was almost dark but we managed to get a few laps in. After the ride we loaded up the bikes in the trailer to retire to the RV for the night. As the temp began to dip into the 30's I figured it would be a good time to turn on the heat. Within a few minutes the RV started to warm as we watched a little TV before turning in. (Now that's what I call "roughing it!")

About 10:30pm I noticed it was starting to get pretty cool so I got up to check the thermostat. The heater was running but it was blowing cold and I've got a full tank of propane. After an hour of tinkering with it I threw a couple more blankets on the bed and finished out the miserable night.

We awoke to a 31-degree frost covered ground and no jackets to wear. I said to heck with it and came back home. By 10:30am I had the heater out in the front yard running a water hose through it trying to wash out the dirt daubers that had nested in the furnace. By 1pm we were back at the track and ready to ride, it was Friday.

Spent the rest of Friday riding to our hearts content. Tigger was really itching to catch more air than she'd ever gotten before. Her confidence and ability has really shown improvement in the last couple of times we've ridden. Dark rolled upon us and we returned to the comfort of the "heated" RV. Turned in about 10:30pm and slept like a baby.

Saturday morning before we got up there was already people at the gate starting to come in. It had rained a little during the night and the black dirt was going to be tacky for a change. Tigger scarfed breakfast and geared up telling me all the time to hurry. We hit the track and she was in top form. After riding the track a couple of warm up laps she said "I'm gonna double the rhythm section!" I'll be danged if she didn't! I spent most of the day pacing her and riding beside her so she could get used to other bikes right with her, something that has really bothered her since the "big accident" 2 years ago when she was landed on. The wind was very strong and blowing me when I jumped but it didn't seem to bother her at all. By noon the track was getting pretty busy. I managed to get a few hot laps in and realized that I was the fastest person out there at the time, just then I ran out of gas. Darn my luck. :whiner:

I spent the rest of the day watching Tigger and giving tips to some of the other riders that asked. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a guy on an 80 pulling onto the track a few bike lengths ahead of my little Tigger and I noticed a distinct sound of her kx60 engine as she twisted the throttle to pass. The race was on! For about 10 laps the boy on the 80 tried to catch her. Two times he managed to get by but then she would take an inside line and cut him off. (I guess she's been paying more attention than I thought.)
He would make a little time on her through the whoops even though she was doubling in and he wasn't, but she would double in to the rhythm section and make the time back up. I guess they finally had enough, both pulled off the track. He was parked pretty close to us so when Tigger got to the RV she sort of tossed her bike against the side of the RV, yanked her gloves off and almost ran over to the guy. From my vantagepoint it looked like she had her finger in his face. :ugg: I thought he must've pissed her off cause it looked like she was giving him a what for as I headed that direction. Turns out she was congratulating him on a good ride. ;)

She managed to pass several people that day on full size bikes and hold them off too. Though they were all beginner type riders, remember when I said I was the fastest out there that day, ;) she was definitely riding the best I've ever seen her. I felt compelled to tell her that she will fall someday and she said, "I know, I hope it doesn't hurt that bad." She is starting to resemble the "moto monster" I knew when she got her 1st bike 2 years ago.

We didn't ride today, time for maintenance and stuff but if the weather holds out we're planning on a trip to CC for mini supercross this Wed night. She says she's planning on racing in a couple of weeks, it'll be the first time she's ever done it except for Dirtweek. I ask that my DRN family stand with me as I wish her luck and a safe ride.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
cool. sounds like she's about ready to start showing up dad. i tried to get kendall to ride today but she refused. what track were you at?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The track is our local "Waco Eagles" mx track.

Attachments

• haily finish line2.jpg
    haily finish line2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 253

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Great report Jeff.  Go for it Tigger! :cool:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
way to go Tigger - we missed you guys at our recent Lake macKenzie Spodefest ! :thumb:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Wow sounds like shes a better ridder than I ever will be! Maby some day shell be the first women Pro supercross ridder! Oh one thing how old is she? Guessing around 8 if shes still on a KX60?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by MONKEYMOUSE
Oh one thing how old is she? Guessing around 8 if shes still on a KX60?
She's about the size of an 8 year with the wisdom (and acting skills ;) ) of a 35yo.
She's 11, 4'2", 65lbs. She has started to grow a little faster recently though. I figure she'll be on a 65 before she is big enough for an 80. She actually started riding a mini 50 a little more that 2 years ago, that came to an abrupt stop when she was used for landing by a hi-flying 250 on the back side of a double one day at the track. It wasn't untill DW02 that she would even get on a track with other riders, can't say I really blame her for not wanting to. I just give her time and keep showing patientence when we ride and she wouldn't even get on the bike after I unloaded it, or if we were on the track and she would call it a day after a lap when other riders came out.

I got her then 60 for Christmas last year and it was the smoothest transition I've ever witnessed anyone going to a clutch. I layed it over in the garage and she couldn't even pick it up when I brought it home but she was determined to ride it.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Tigger & I went for a ride yesterday and it was kind of cold so she wasn't really interested in staying too long. Another unsuspecting boy on an 80 blew past her as she was riding through the whoops, he was going around bypassing the obstacle. I saw that same look in her eyes, as they seemed to bulge through the lenses of her goggles when she saw him. She immediately twisted the throttle and caught the boy after the next corner. They must have gone about 7 or so laps before she pulled off. Each lap, the boy went around the whoops, he would pass her and she would get that much more aggressive in her riding. On the next to last lap the boy was just a little behind her as she hit the whoops and she saw him shoot on the outside as she began to hammer even harder and this time he didn't make the pass. She exited the whoops, clearly in front of him, and left him in her dust. On the next lap she pulled off as the boy kept going for a little further. The little boy had the audacity to come up to her afterwards and tell her she rode pretty well but he beat her at the very end. She commented by saying "you should really try staying on the track and going through the whoops." ;)

At this point she said "I'm ready to go, I'm sooo cold." Before we could make our way to the trailer, the parents of another girl on an 80 came over and said to Tigger, "I want you to race my daughter, she races here and I want to see you try and beat her." Tigger reluctantly agreed.

They were to do a 2 lap warm up and then a 2-lap moto. Tigger said, "who ever heard of a 2 lap moto?" They went ahead with the plan.

As the gate dropped the other girl stalled so they had to do a restart. Staged at the gate. the little motors revved and the gate dropped. Tigger blasted of the line and never looked back. By the end of lap one Tigger was already a half lap ahead. By the end of lap two Tigger pulled off and said "the race is over, it's time to go." Finally the other girl crossed the finish line and rode over to where her parents and I were standing. Tigger tried to show good sportsmanship by congratulating the other girl, but the girl was clearly not interested in listening to her. We loaded up and started home when Tigger asked me why the girl wouldn't talk to her.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Thanks for the report Jeff.
Sounds like tigger's really flying now, great to hear.
I cant believe it' been two years since that "big accident".
Maybe it's a revenge thing, get real fast, jump real big, then hunt down a certain 250 rider for a "landing on". ;)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
!Update!

12-15-2002, Tigger raced her face race (excluding DW). She entered the 85cc powder puff race on her 60 and brought home a 1st place plaque. I don't think I need to mention that she was pleased and very excited. A ride report will follow I'm reasonable sure. :thumb:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'm sorry I hadn't read this before (haven't had much time & ride reports I savour for a long read, but tonight I had to have a look what's been going on).
Like Peter, I can't believe it's been two years since our One and Only Tigger turned up here after the big accident and we all got a what for lol. I'll be watching out for her in a few years' time, but even if she never makes it to pro (her decision or whatever), she'll always be a hero in my eyes.

I'm thrilled she's found the edge again and is back into it (with a vengeance or should that be seeking revenge?) Jeff, congrats on all your efforts & hard work (wait till she's a teen haha). Good on ya Tigger for your sportsmanship.
Have a good & safe xmas :)
Michelle

Top Bottom