The most challenging trails on Earth

TRU Torture

Sep 6, 2003
I'm from Hawaii and have ridden and raced with lot's of riders from around the world. They say we have the toughest trails on the planet which I think is true. Any of you like it tough to?

I don't know if this link will work or not but here goes...

http://www.808extreme.com/photo_album.asp?photo_album_id=58

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
It looks like it would be hard to find a trail in some of those photos. That is a cool look at your riding area. I enjoyed browsing through the pics. I don't think I would like riding through the rock piles. It must put a few dents in your pipe, even with a pipe guard.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
TT, where are the trails :scream:

You folks need some Rokons ;)

Didn't wait to see all the photos load, but looks like it could be a lot of fun.
Hope you enjoy DRN

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I would agree with you about the trails in Hawaii. Any island, take your pick.

In 1978 I was transferred to Oahu by my company, and lived there for about 10 years. I was living in Northern California at the time, and had just become an "A" enduro rider in Dist 36. I thought I was a fairly good rider. I found a place to live in Mililani Town which is located about mid Ohau, up in the pineapple fields. I could walk my bike about two blocks from my house and enter a serious trail system. I was riding alone there and met up with a couple local riders who invited me to join them that weekend for a ride. In ten miles they reduced me to a shaking mass of jello. It was the toughest ride I had ever experienced, and I had done several enduros including a National in NoCal where less than 100 riders finished, so I thought I could handle difficult conditions.

It took me several months of practicing to learn the skills necessary to negotiate the Hawaii trails at any speed and consistency, and I acquired a great deal of respect for the riders who competed there. I will always remember with fondness and respect the riding I did in Hawaii which included the Rock Island classic (Kauai), the Cobra Classic (Oahu), and the Mauna Kea 200 (Hawaii, aka the Big Island). I usually rode around Mililani, Wahiawa by the Pineapple stand on the way to Haliewa, and Kahuku.

TRU Torture, do these names ring any bells? Pat Gouvea, Cobra (John DeSoto), Steven Trinies, Matt Lyman, Steve Zoll? I could go on, but they were some of the good riders who I knew during the late 70's and early 80's.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Those trails are NUTS!!! You guys must be awesome riders to conquer that stuff! I'll have to check it out some day when I get to be a good rider.

TRU Torture

Sep 6, 2003
[TRU Torture, do these names ring any bells? Pat Gouvea, Cobra (John DeSoto), Steven Trinies, Matt Lyman, Steve Zoll? I could go on, but they were some of the good riders who I knew during the late 70's and early 80's. [/B]

I live in Wahiawa and had a great ride today in Helemano. All those names are good friends of mine. Just ate lunch with Matt the other week in fact...

I cut a ton of trails on Oahu. My name on another forum is Torture Chambers and I was given that name by Steven Trinies. I hold events every once in awhile and I like nasty trails. The harder the better. Big Bird? Did you ride with the Hang On Riders?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Looks like just the place for Kiwibird! I believe his mantra is "If you don't need a block & tackle it's not a ride". :laugh:

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Tru Torture, I thought that that was you from the other forum. Yes I rode with the Hang On riders. Steve's dad was one of my best friends, and I rode with him often. Is Seven Rivers trail still one you ride? I can't remember the exact name or spelling of it , but the Opaiula (sp) lodge group were located around Helemano. Also wasn't there a trail called the Paperbark Tree Trail there? The names may have changed since I was there, but I really enjoyed those trails. Seven Rivers was pretty much a pucker, survival trail. Would love to see pictures of it if you have any.

TRU Torture

Sep 6, 2003
Big Bird, You would flip if you saw how many trails are in the mountain now. From Waimea Bay to Wahiawa is triple the amount from when you were here. I added about 10 long sections and I'm not the only one cutting. Seven rivers. Hmmmm. Is that in Mililani? Mililani is really small now. I hardly ride there. In Helemano we have sooooo many trails that cross the rivers. Yesterday we crossed at least 40 times! I also added to the old Akua Valley. That was 5 crossings and now it's 17 crossings and comes out on Drum road. Also in the Opaeula valley you can ride all the way to Snake River without coming out! We did that yesterday. BTW, I packed my girlfriend the whole day...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
:scream:

All I kept thinking while viewing the photos.... "Would a helicopter be able to land anywhere to air-lift me out of there..."

:worship:

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I remember Akua valley, and Snake River. You're really bringing back some memories. There used to be a lodge in Opaeula that was privately owned. We called them the Opaeula Boys. One name I can remember was Daws Tanehill. He was an optician in Honolulu. Once we rode by the lodge and heard music coming from it. So we turned off the trail toward the lodge and some security people intercepted us. Turns out Fleetwood Mac was staying there while doing a concert in Honolulu.

Could you find out if Harold Trinies is still around (Steve's father). He was a good guy to ride with, and a good friend. If so, let him know that Jim Peacock is still riding on the mainland in Dist. 36. Thanks

TRU Torture

Sep 6, 2003
Big Bird,
The Opaeula lodge was leased by the Outrigger Canoe Club guys. Brent Ackerman, Walter Guild, Pflueger, etc. It's now leased by someone else cause they lost the lease partially because of Dirt Bikes from what I hear. A lot of the photo's in the link are from Akua Valley.

I'll call Steven tonight and tell him. From what I know, Mr Trinies is still around but I'm not sure if he's riding still...

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I would be so dead, but I would love to try those, oh and BTW is that the same dirt they used to dye my RED-DIRT T shirts ???, looks awful close.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
About ending up dead, nope I serious, still would love to do it though; about the shirt, well I guess I should have used one of these ;) :eek: :) :laugh: or :moon: , J/K

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by TRU Torture
You gotta be kidding right? Sorry, no comparison...
Yeah, I was kinda half kidding. We do have some nasty stuff that looks like what you have but I can't find any pictures right now. I personally try to avoid that stuff but have wandered into it from time to time;) I will admit that it isn't all nasty but it is there.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Funny Dan I was thinking the same thing. That looks alot like Paragon stuff.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jasnker/
Cameras dont really do hills justice, I dont have many pics of knarley rocks, Im usally busy riding. But those pics on your page are GREAT! You guys could like open a rental deal, we could fly down and rip down there on like KDXs or XRs or someting.
I see the bike helmet thing is big there :) .

Top Bottom