The Mrs. wants to ride Moto...please help

rossi

Jul 9, 2007
1) her physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'6 140
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? (1-10) 6
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Mainly MX tracks, very few woods
4) Do you have any riding experience? NONE
5) Do you think she will race ? anythings possbile but I doubt it
6) Is your husband or yourself mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? minimal experience
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4stroke, HONDA, KTM, are top 2
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All dealers are close by
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? <4k
10) Do you live in California? NO
11) Your wifes age? 27
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion; I am riding and just started on an 05 CRF450R, so if we can keep it in the Honda family, great but no big deal. My wife is very athletic and competitive, I was thinking a CRF150R, but I could be off on that idea. I value all of your insight and thoughts.

Thank You!

Jan 3, 2007
rossi, if you can adjust the cam on your bike then you would be fine with a CRF150R as far as matinence goes. You might be able to get a KTM 105SX because they are really easy to work on and make alot of power. Get her to ride both and let here choose. I mostl think she will get a 150 over any 2 stroke. Have fun.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I think a CRF150R (expert model, 2" bigger wheels) would be a great choice for the wife's first bike for MX riding. We have quite a few girls racing them locally in both MX and hare scrambles. I personally think the 4-strokes (150F, 250F) are MUCH easier for beginners to ride, compared to the lightswitch on/off power of a 2-stroke (85, 105, 125). You can use less clutch, and the power is smoother. Plus at 5'6" a CRF150R-E will fit her nicely for a first bike. She will be able to touch with both feet, but it shouldn't feel too small (at first). Plus it's lighter and a little easier to start than, say, a bigger/taller/heavier 250F, where she would have a hard time touching the ground with both feet. The maintenance will be similar to your CRF450 as far as checking valves, etc.

rossi

Jul 9, 2007
Thank you both for your thoughts! Nikki I see that you say the bike wont feel to small at first, would I be insane in looking at a 250F with a smaller seat? There are plenty of used 250's on the market vs 150s. Just thinking if a de-tuned
250 might get more life then a 150R-E? The last thing I want to do is over power her right out of the gate and have her go down and never want anything to do with the sport again.
2stroker, I am going to stick with a 4stroke, thanks for the ktm idea.

Thanks again all!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
No, I don't think a 250F is totally out of the question, but for a first bike, it would be more of a challenge that a 150R due to the height/weight (not so much due to the power).

Ideally, if she could test ride a 150F and 250F, and see what she thinks before buying a bike, that would be the best idea. But if that's not an option, then another "test" could be to have her try to ride your 450F a little, just around the pits/parking lot/field/yard whatever, to see what she thinks about the taller and more heavy bike, and the general power. Don't worry about starting it, the 250F is MUCH easier to start than a 450. I can't start my husband's CRF450 to save my life, but my CRF250 starts super easy, usually 1-2 kicks. But the 450 height is similar to a 250F, and if she can handle the 450 height/weight with turning the bike in the pits/parking lot, then the 20 lb. lighter 250F should feel even better. Same with if she is okay with the bike height/weight with getting on and off the bike, coming to a complete stop when riding it, pushing it around (like when it's not running), etc.

I am 5'5", and am very comfortable on a 250F. But I did spend a year on an 80, and a few years on the taller 125 before switching to 250F's when they came out. (And I think the 250F power makes it sooo much easier to ride compared to a 125 for the average rider). To make my CRF250 feel "lower", I did shave the seat foam, raised the forks a little in the triple clamp, have the sag set correctly, and have taller pegs and lower bars. So the bike sits a little lower and feels lower, and I can touch my toes on both sides. And I personally couldn't ride a 150R in MX because after several years on a big bike, it is too small for me. I don't like the feeling of the smaller/lighter bike under me while jumping, and I don't like standing way over the bike on straightaways, but the 150 is awesome in the turns for me compared to a 250F. But if I raced more hare scrambles in the woods, I would love to have a CRF150R Expert.

Back to MX... just for an example, we had 10 girls at a local MX race yesterday.... 2 were on CRF150's, and 8 were on 250F's (well, maybe 1 or 2 were on 450's actually). The 150 riders were maybe 4'11" and 5'4", and have both been riding for at least 2-3 years. The 250F riders were from 5'0" - 5'9", and a 3-5 girls have raced for a year or less. A couple girls started on 250F's for their first bike, but most started on an 85/105 MX bike or a trail type of bike (CRF150/230/250X), but then quickly "outgrew" the smaller bike, and moved up to a 250F.

If you do decide to get the 150R for now, I think it would be a great choice for a first bike. But if your wife takes well to riding MX, I think she will likely want a 250F in the near future. Good luck! :ride:

rossi

Jul 9, 2007
CRF150R Big wheel it is! Picking it up Fri and off to Cooperland for Sat practice. Only one way to brake it in, hard!

Thank you all so much, my wife is pumped, happy birthday to her!

rossi

Jul 9, 2007
We will have to wait and see how lucky I am to see how she really likes riding. I am not always the most patient individual, so I hope there wont be to much frustration initially. Good thing I have friends who are great teachers!

I will report back, hopefully not saying "bike for sale."

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Have fun this weekend, looking forward to seeing your report that she loved it! :ride:

rossi

Jul 9, 2007
Great news, she is hooked! Time on the track was ZERO, but thats ok, there were some big open fields and a parts of a trail that she messed around with. Her first 2 "motos" went great, nice and timid stalled the bike and fired it up again with no problem. 3rd time out was full of frustration, I think she got tired and then couldnt get the clucth and throttle to match up so constant stalling about 8 times and then finally the front end came up she went back and the bike came down on top of her, no biggie she was decked out in all the gear. I was pissed that the plastic had snapped but no biggie no one was hurt and thats to be expected I guess. So she took a rest and then one final time she went back out and before I knew it I heard her shift into 3rd and she was tearing through the field. On the way home she said she wished she would of tried to go out on the track, I take that as a great sign.

Overall Im psyched, she had a great time and she cant wait to go again this weekend. Thanks to you all!

Top Bottom