The Muscle/Pony Car lives large...

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
XRpredator said:
so when do we get the strict definition of "truck" and "pickup"? ;)

1: a small wheel; specifically : a small strong wheel for a gun carriage
2: a small wooden cap at the top of a flagstaff or masthead usually having holes for reeving flag or signal halyards
3: a wheeled vehicle for moving heavy articles: as a: a strong horse-drawn or automotive vehicle (as a pickup) for hauling b: a small barrow consisting of a rectangular frame having at one end a pair of handles and at the other end a pair of small heavy wheels and a projecting edge to slide under a load —called also hand truck c: a small heavy rectangular frame supported on four wheels for moving heavy objects d: a small flat-topped car pushed or pulled by hand e: a shelved stand mounted on casters f: an automotive vehicle with a short chassis equipped with a swivel for attaching a trailer and used especially for the highway hauling of freight; also : a truck with attached trailer
4 aBritish : an open railroad freight car b: a swiveling carriage consisting of a frame with one or more pairs of wheels and springs to carry and guide one end (as of a railroad car) in turning sharp curves

My registration and title both specify my vehicle as a TRUCK!!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
2008 ZO6 ... 505 HP from 427ci
I'll have mine in black please.

A while back Doug Meyer bought a Z06 and wrote about it in his blog on Bikeland.org http://www.bikeland.org/bridges/.

For those not familiar with Doug, he has set 16 Bonneville speed records on stock appearing Kawasaki’s and became a member of the Bonneville 200 mph club on a 2001 ZX-12, “the hard way”, using just gasoline and available air. Doug has driven big bore sports cars, dragsters and circle track dirt cars, ridden Bonneville bikes, dragbikes, and 300 hp “street” bikes. Doug has built and worked with motorcycle engines for road racing, drag racing, and Bonneville, and for seven years worked on the design team for a 1000 hp liquid cooled turbocharged V-8 aircraft engine. The perspective of a hard core gearhead bike guy like this on what a fast car is like to own is pretty interesting.

BRIDGES
A COMMENTARY BY DOUG MEYER

Friday October 7th, 2005
Fast? You don’t KNOW fast.
Sometimes I wonder if most of us really appreciate exactly what we have here. We jump on our ZX-12 or 10 or Hayabusa or whatever our two wheeled choice may be and we roll on out. Most of the time, we just use whatever throttle we need to stay civil, but occasionally we throw in a little stab here and there just to tickle the tiger. When the opportunity arises, we grab a full handful and within 10 seconds or so we’re going 150, 160 mph. If it feels right, we hang on a bit longer and within 20 seconds we’ve reached speeds greater than all but about a half a dozen four wheeled types could ever muster. We don’t exactly take this for granted.

The experience is, after all, intoxicating, and we do keep coming back for more and always want even more than that. But the uniqueness of this access to velocity was brought home to me two years ago when I bought the Corvette I’d wanted for so long, ever since I had sold my second Corvette, a ’65 roadster, which I had let go after 20 years in 1984. The ’65 was virtual racecar, originally a 365 hp. 327, with factory side pipes, 4:11 gears and a close ratio gearbox. I had further massaged it into what was, arguably, one of the fastest cars on the Chicago area streets where I grew up. The bikes I had during that time, especially my first Bonneville record bike (156 mph, in 1976) which was a highly modified Z-1, were no match for the ‘Vette. But after that, starting with my ’84 Ninja 900, the bikes just kept getting faster and faster and the cars seemed to fall by the wayside.

The desire for a fast car re-surfaced and became something I could achieve in 2004. I wanted another Vette and the fastest of them all at that time was the Z06 option, which like the ’65, is a racecar for the street. Lighter than the “normal” Corvettes at 3150 pounds, with 405 hp, close ratio six speed, big brakes, all the good stuff. Heck, it even has a special ($3000 if you break it) thin glass windshield for lighter weight.

So, it was with great disappointment when I found that, the first time I really nailed it, that it was, well, kinda’ slow. Not car guy slow, mind you, but definitely BIKE GUY slow. Although capable (under good conditions and if driven well) of a high 11second quarter mile time, it just seemed lazy. Now, I couldn’t say that to anyone. What kind of an idiot would say his Z06 was a pig? Not politically correct in the car world, for sure. But I was really disappointed.

Things then took their natural course (for me, anyway) and on went the stainless long tube headers, the cold air ram inlet, the cooler thermostat, the full LS1 computer re-tune, the Motul oil, etc. which now gets us to about 440 hp. This is a FAST car. It rips. It scares people that I take for rides. I have to brief them. I say “Now, what we’re about to do will frighten you. But trust me, I’m not going to hurt you. It’ll be fun.” The girls actually scream sometimes.

The guys say “ Man this thing is FAST!”

And I say, thinking about my ZX-12R or the last Turbo I rode,

“Fast? Dude, you don’t KNOW fast!”

Posted by Doug @ 18:27

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XRpredator said:
so when do we get the strict definition of "truck" and "pickup"? ;)
Pickup is what you do to a hot chick, or your keys if you drop them on the way to your truck. I'll gladly post a pic of my license plate if that will resolve it for ya' it states "TEXAS TRUCK" across the top.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Pick Me up?

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 82

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I have never thought of Miata's as macho but even in black that is the gayest thing I have ever seen! How can anyone think that wheels that big look good on a car.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I absolutely love the new retro old muscle cars. I chase them every day and just enjoy talking the owners. I'd drop down some dough to buy a Camaro but I think I'll wait till 2010, after the initial hype is over. The Stang you have on page one Okie is outstanding, love the tagging too! I drive a Ford every day and a Chevy at night, I don't care what brand it is, as long as it hauls my bike, my dog and my family. ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
DWreck said:
I have never thought of Miata's as macho but even in black that is the gayest thing I have ever seen! How can anyone think that wheels that big look good on a car.
Agreed. But I would drive a pink Monster Miata if I could afford one. I wonder if that would be called a muscle ricer?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okiewan said:
Pick Me up?
Need to cut it off of the frame and slip a sky-jacked jeep chasis under it.
I love the new muscle cars but when you are a redneck like me, the directions to my house include, "turn off of the paved road".

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
DWreck said:
How can anyone think that wheels that big look good on a car.

Maybe they don't do it for the looks. Maybe they do it for the performance. :laugh:

Here's a few guys who roll on 40's. There are videos of the 'clear wheels' car out there. Kids on tricycles are faster.

Attachments

• WildCar.jpg
    WildCar.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 67
  • garfield_box_1.jpg
    garfield_box_1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 67

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
a454elk said:
I don't care what brand it is, as long as it hauls my bike, my dog and my family. ;)

Thank god for the Baywatch Barbie Dream Truck :whoa:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'll post this for Twinspar, he was a little shy about it but he was pretty excited about his little muscle car. It's still in his garage, next to his parachute pants and mullet. If you don't know, it's the Levi's Gremlin model. Love ya Twinny. :nod:

Attachments

• gremlin.jpg
    gremlin.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom