Attachments

• IMG_6339.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 292

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
That thing gotta hemi?

That is definitely not a ricer. How about the ’08 Challenger? Not the same league performance wise but still quite the head-turner. It’s great to see the retro style American muscle cars again.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The problem with the Challenger? It's just a rebody on a 300 chassis. Those that have seen it say it's a LARGE car. Typical Chrysler K-Car mentality. A looker? For sure. I had the pleasure of owning a 70 RT/SE so the look is near and dear, but.... bummer. Look at Chrysler history, they'll slap a HERITAGE name on anything. While the new "Charger" is a nice car, they NEVER should have named it that. A 4-Door Charger? BAH!!!! Tradition matters. They should learn from the Ford S197 (2005+ Mustang) THAT is how you honor an icon.

The Camaro? Yup! Like the Mustang, a PURPOSE Built car. Thump says he will buy one when they release. Problem is, latest word is 5,500 units in '09, all with a reported 350 - 400 HP LS motor. The dealers will RAPE early adopters. 2nd year they will release a V6, and less loaded versions in real production numbers. Sweet car for sure. Let the Pony wars begin again! (Again, with Chevy late to the party :p ) Nice time for us muscle heads.

FYI.. at the dealer a month ago, they had two GT500's. If I recall the sticker was low 40's, they had them marked-up to 70K!!! The extra sticker said "Market Adjustment" :whoa: Expect the same for the new Camaro.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
With some minor bolt on mods, one owner on a truck board I frequent reported quarter mile times of 11.6x @ 120 mph for the Shelby.

With 4.10 gears and the minor bolt ons (pulley, intake, tune), he went 11.17@ 123 mph, with a 1.49 second 60' time.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
dirt bike dave said:
With some minor bolt on mods, one owner on a truck board I frequent reported quarter mile times of 11.6x @ 120 mph for the Shelby.

With 4.10 gears and the minor bolt ons (pulley, intake, tune), he went 11.17@ 123 mph, with a 1.49 second 60' time.

There werent too many cars back in the day that can claim that :ohmy: AND be comfortable daily drivers with A/C, good ride and good brakes/handling. Good times.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
flyingfuzzball said:
yea i think the old shelby's are nicer though but that is one purty car
Price one :) A REAL, number matching Shelby Mustang (350, 500, CS, Hertz) of 67-69 vintage will bring BIG dollars, as in $150,000+) a Cobra, say it with me, a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS. And those are just numbers I've seen on Barret Jackson, I'm sure some have gone for a lot more. Saw a 69 Boss 429 on egay with bids for) for over 250K.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Okiewan said:
The Camaro? Yup! Like the Mustang, a PURPOSE Built car. Thump says he will buy one when they release. Problem is, latest word is 5,500 units in '09, all with a reported 350 - 400 HP LS motor. The dealers will RAPE early adopters.
Minimum of 400 HP. If it is 09 when released it will likely be 450 HP.

A buddy of mine had a meeting in Detroit with GM a few months ago and saw the prototype. Said it was sick. Yes I will have one. Silver with black stripes or orange with white. Favorite car of all time was the 1969 Z28 and thes things look an awful lot alike. :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Thump said:
Minimum of 400 HP. If it is 09 when released it will likely be 450 HP.

A buddy of mine had a meeting in Detroit with GM a few months ago and saw the prototype. Said it was sick. Yes I will have one. Silver with black stripes or orange with white. Favorite car of all time was the 1969 Z28 and thes things look an awful lot alike. :cool:
I'm with you, thumpster. I'd love a Matador Red with a white nose stripe.

bad-ass

too bad we need money for all this crap.

And Okie, no matter what with the Mopar bunch, you gotta give 'em credit for kickstarting the retro stuff. Viper, Prowler, and even the PT Cruiser.

My wife wants an HHR. I could probably live with that.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
XRpredator said:
I'm with you, thumpster. I'd love a Matador Red with a white nose stripe.

bad-ass

too bad we need money for all this crap.

And Okie, no matter what with the Mopar bunch, you gotta give 'em credit for kickstarting the retro stuff. Viper, Prowler, and even the PT Cruiser.

My wife wants an HHR. I could probably live with that.

Don't you mean the PT Looser? The only people I ever see driving those things are over-weight post middle age women with really bad hairdo's ... and gay men. :p The Viper is a cool ride, and the Prowler is just a bit too far into the "novelty car" category, IMHO.

I've never been a 'stang fan, but that one shore is purdy. I'll stick with my 4x4 rigs though, got no time for snazzy cars that can't pull a trailer or haul a load of lumber from the yard.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I might have to pick up one of those new camaros when they come out.

I have a '67 camaro sitting in the garage. It would be cool to have the oldest and newest camaro in existence, paint them the same colors, etc :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Funny you should mention that, at one time, I had a 1990 YZ250, A 2000 YZ250 and had a 1980 YZ250 on the hook, but it got away from me. I thought it would be pretty cool to have three decades of them in my stable. Oh well. The 1990 is gone, and I've gone on to other things.

May 10, 2007
Okiewan said:
Price one :) A REAL, number matching Shelby Mustang (350, 500, CS, Hertz) of 67-69 vintage will bring BIG dollars, as in $150,000+) a Cobra, say it with me, a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS. And those are just numbers I've seen on Barret Jackson, I'm sure some have gone for a lot more. Saw a 69 Boss 429 on egay with bids for) for over 250K.

they actually go for less then on barret jackson. those cars are flawless. they are still worth a crazy ammount of money but dont all go for 150+ grand.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Okiewan said:
The problem with the Challenger? It's just a rebody on a 300 chassis. Those that have seen it say it's a LARGE car. Typical Chrysler K-Car mentality. A looker? For sure. I had the pleasure of owning a 70 RT/SE so the look is near and dear, but.... bummer. Look at Chrysler history, they'll slap a HERITAGE name on anything. While the new "Charger" is a nice car, they NEVER should have named it that. A 4-Door Charger? BAH!!!! Tradition matters. They should learn from the Ford S197 (2005+ Mustang) THAT is how you honor an icon.

First off, everyone just needs to get over the 4 door issue. It is 2007. The people who loved the original Chargers, need 4 doors. The Mustangs are beautiful cars, yes. But if I am dropping 35k+ on a car, I want to take the whole famn damily in it. I couldn't put my cat in the back seat of a Mustang. If they had done that with the Charger, it would suck.

As far as the Challenger, sure, it is on the 300 chassis. But, my friends, that is a Mercedes chassis. American muscle sitting on German engineering. I have no issues with that. I know that there is something to be said for tradition. But there is also something to be said for technology and updates. If I wanted a traditional Charger, I could pick one up for less than a new one.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
And Okie, no matter what with the Mopar bunch, you gotta give 'em credit for kickstarting the retro stuff.
The Viper? Looks based on what? The Cobra a English/Ford thing. Awesome car. It and the Z06 are priced out of the traditional "Muscle Car" market. The PT Crusier? A 50's panel van. HHR? 50's pick 'em up. HHR is def. cool.

The Muscle Car retro look is owned by Mustang as of 2005. Chevy is getting on board (albeit late, again) with the Camaro. When Chrysler releases a PURPOSE BUILT muscle retro, they will be included in the party. They should have done that with either the Charger or Challenger.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Uh I think I'd call the HHR 1954ish Suburban since it's a SUV but yeah old truck look like the PT. Both of which I would call ugly with the HHR being the double bagger. Don't forget the glory years of (Little Jewel) Mustang II's and Fox and Fox-4 (SN95) chassis. Not exactly great days for the blue oval :( Of course did the Mustang (S197) restart the retro thing or did the GT from the GT40? :think:

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Okiewan said:
The Muscle Car retro look is owned by Mustang as of 2005. Chevy is getting on board (albeit late, again) with the Camaro. When Chrysler releases a PURPOSE BUILT muscle retro, they will be included in the party. They should have done that with either the Charger or Challenger.

Kind of funny that you expect a purpose built mopar muscle car when the original muscle cars were far from purpose built. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Of course I guess if you consider the Tbird part of the mix maybe it was available before the others, I was thinking about it on the way home and just then one cross the intersection so I took it as a sign.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
mkelly04 said:
Kind of funny that you expect a purpose built mopar muscle car when the original muscle cars were far from purpose built. :)
Good point! The Mustang & Camaro were "Pony" cars that eventually got the big muscle. When I think Muscle Cars I envision 413/426 Max Wedges, 426 Hemi, 440 six pack Mopars in intermediate and large chassis that you might even have flashing lights on them when they pull you over. Chevy & Ford had theirs as well but it's really hard not to thnk about the Mopar offerings when those words are brought up.

None the less the new Mustang is a cool ride, one that I wouldn't mind having as a toy.

Top Bottom