Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
Hi folks,
I'm not only new to this site, but I'm a very new rider. My fiance (who happened to be who I rode with) left me recently; thankfully he left my dirtbike. The only problem: he always took care of everything: maintenance, loading and unloading the bikes, etc... Now, I know I can learn how to maintain the bike (like simple stuff), and I have some friends who can help me, or godforbid I can take it someplace to get worked on, BUT, I'm worried about getting into my truck... (it's an S-10). I'm 5'3", so I can't make the step up. I figure I could get a step stool, but I'm still a little nervous; I'm not very strong... Do you have any advice? I feel like wimp and a loser. My dirtbike was the only thing I've ever depended on a guy for, and then he left me before teaching me anything... ARG. :bang:
I'm hoping this site introduces me to new riding buddies in my area; I'm not going to let my ex stop me from enjoying something I was just starting to get better at!
Any support and advice would be great and helpful. I live in the San Diego area, if anyone knows of any clubs or sources out here...!?
Thanks!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Using a step stool in conjunction with a ramp might be the way to go. I would try to get someone to "spot you" while you attempt to load the bike in that manner. I have a car and tow a trailer for my bike. The deck of the trailer is very low, lower than a pickup. Just a thought.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Maybe the best thing for you would be to get a single rail trailer. They generally aren't expensive and you should be able to pull it fine with your pickup. I wouldn't feel like a wimp. There would be no way I could do it either. I'm sorry to hear about the break-up, but at the track you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone new to help you!!! Good luck...

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Check out www.eric-gorr.com (link on left in any case), order yourself his book, then, if you haven't got one, order yourself a manual for the bike. Did he leave any tools behind? If not, you're going to have to get some (spanners, sockets & whatever else, I dunno, someone will help).

First thing you have to be able to do on your bike, is change the air filter (clean it, if no spares). This you need to do regularly (like every ride or 2nd ride depending on conditions). You'll also have to know how to change the spark plug (only when you foul it though, so hopefully not often lol). You'll also have to know how to adjust your clutch cable & lube it. Checking chain tension is also important. Changing the gearbox oil is another one at the top of the list. These are all easy. If you've got a good friend who could do the top end, don't just give him/her the bike, take time out to watch & maybe next time you do it & they watch & comment. If they can help with the basic maintenance stuff too, that'd be even better - just to get confidence you're doing it right.

I don't know how tall your vehicle is, but if I have to load alone (low wheelbase though), I have two ramps, one to walk up & one for the bike. I've managed to dump the bike a few times, thrown it out the back of the van (I still don't know what I did there oops), but the bike & I have both survived. I've got over the really nervous stage now (I'd start shaking, I'd get so nervous), but am still at that stage with the KDX (if I know I have to load & unload my bike alone, I'd take the ttr).

The other thing is, if you can load okay at home, you'll be fine. Guys seem to like to be able to help females on their own (i.e. they take over if you're not careful).

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I will still get a friend to help if at all possible. If all else fails, I'll start the engine, put it in gear, and walk it up while feathering the clutch. Be careful; the rear tire can spin the ramp out from under you. But if you're not strong enough to push (I'm not) then it's really the only choice. I might try riding it in one of these days. I have a really wide ramp for an ATV, so there's no reason why not.
Good luck. I'm sorry he left. I hope you're doing ok, but I'm glad you kept the bike. Keep riding! I know there's tons of SoCal riders male and female who'd help you out.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Is your S-10 a 2 wheel drive? If it is, it all ready sits pretty low. So a 6' long ramp will work fine. Use a crate or a step stool on the left side of the ramp close to the tailgate. Walk beside the bike (keep a couple of fingers on the ft. brake) and step up onto the ramp and into the truck. It's easy. I used to load my 125 into my 4x4 Ranger. Or buy one of the ATV ramps, they are wider and you can walk right up the ramp w/ the bike. Just make sure the tie downs are in place before you go up. I would hook them in, and lay the end on top of the cab. That way I wouldn't have to try to bend down to pick the tie down up. Bobs Cycle has all kinds of ramps
HERE
or you can order one from your dealer. Srellis also mentioned a single rail trailer, that would be helpful too. You can find them pretty cheap sometimes. I have a 3 rail trailer that I bought for $100. All I had to do was paint it and put new tires on it. Check the "Bargain Corner" of the local newspaper.

Hopefully this helps. Sorry to hear about your Ex.
-Tracie

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
I use a atv ramp and push it up. I'm working up the nerve to ride it up one of these days LOL! Just get a good running start and it shouldn't be a problem. So sad to hear about your breakup.. I admire your determination NOT to give up on your riding. I'd also invest in a good motorcycle repair book other than your manual which doesn't go into as much detail. With a repair book you will be able to do much on your own w/out having to spend tons of money at the service dept. at the local dealer. I used to live in Oceanside and the dealership on HW 1 had no problem giving pointers when I got stuck on a project. We'll be moving back to Socal next summer and we'll go riding with ya! Good luck!

Petra

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
Wow. THANK YOU so much ladies (I think it was all ladies, sorry if not). I will certainly invest in that recommended book for the maintenance (thanks Michelle). And I never thought of getting a quad ramp - GREAT idea, I'll do that! My bike is only a 100, so I think I could push it up if I have a big enough ramp. I've thought about riding it up, but I'm certainly not that good - BY ANY MEANS. I'd drive it right through the back window... ouch. Ha. Thank you also for the consolation; at times like these I'm always glad I'm chick, because even perfect strangers from all parts of the country are kind. I am thankful I'm interested in dirtbikes because overall, riderboys are HOT... ;).
I'll keep everyone updated, and thanks again for the support and encouragement!

chewgravel

Aug 28, 2004
Well, you already got good advice about learning to do your own maintenance. I tried last night, but the computer ate my reply. Sometimes gadgets and I...... :bang: :bang: :bang:
As far as loading your bike yourself, you got good suggestions as well. I did want to add that it would be a great idea to work on your physical condition. Pls don't read that wrong. You are small, but you can be mighty. As a female firefighter, I think I had to work alot harder than some of the guys just to prove I could do as well. I am about 5'8" and usually 125lbs. At the acadamy, I got the hard tasks, the fattest ass guy they could find to have to bring down a ladder. The determination is the biggie. Getting into a fitness routine will help you be able to do the stuff on your own and help you be a better rider too. And you may need that strength and determination to pick up your own bike when you drop it. And work on teaching yourself the mindset that you can do for yourself.
Sorry about the SO, but at least he left the bike. ;)
Good luck and hang tough!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Chewgravel has an excellent point on attitude. At one of my son's last soccer games, he would get tired & start dogging it in the game. I told him after the game that even if he felt tired, he needed to block that out of his mind and keep playing hard.

I missed his game this weekend but, he told me that he remembered what I said and each time he felt tired he'd tell himself to play even harder. I guess the coach told him that he was impressed with his increased conditioning. The coach knew that my son was starting to run with me in the mornings but we've only done 3 or 4 runs so I'm sure it had more to do with his mindset instead of any benefits of the few runs we'd taken.

The point is, like I always tell my kids "If you think you can't, you are right and it you think you can, you are right."

As far as loading bikes, I can load and unload my CR500 into my F250 using an atv ramp and pointing the nose of the truck downhill.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
bbbom said:
The point is, like I always tell my kids "If you think you can't, you are right and it you think you can, you are right."

In the words of Yoda, "Do, or do not, there is no 'try.'"

He's pretty smart for a little green dude. :laugh:

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
More good advice - thanks! It is true, I can do anything I set my mind to. BBBom - you are a rock star and an inspiration, thanks!
May the force be with us all... :)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Tinkrides said:
BBBom - you are a rock star and an inspiration, thanks!

Rock star? Hmmm, how did you know I endoed my bike on a big ole rock this weekend? ;) :aj:

BTW, the point I was trying to make when I said I could load my 500 into my F250 was that I can do it because I park with the front headed downhill. Let the force of gravity be with us all!!!!! :rotfl:

Uphill or flat & I ask for help. No way I'm riding that thing up the ramp, I'll leave that for Karl to do - he hasn't run it through the truck YET!!!

Top Bottom