The painfully obvious confirmed . . .

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
LaRocco's riding the CRF450R in the nationals.

from RacerX:
Racer X has learned that Mike LaRocco, the captain of the Amsoil/Dr. Martens/Journeys/Factory Connection Honda team, will campaign the upcoming AMA/Chevy Trucks U.S. 250cc National Motocross Championships aboard a Honda CRF450 four-stroke motorcycle. LaRocco, a two-time outdoor champion, as been on the sidelines since breaking his wrist at the Minneapolis Supercross in February. "Iron Mike" is expected back from the injury in time for the first national at Glen Helen in San Bernardino, California on May 12. LaRocco will begin testing the new CRF450R as soon as he's back on the practice track, within the next three weeks -- probably the weekend of the Salt Lake City SX on April 27

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, XRP, I think he announced that on one of the CCE internet broadcasts a couple weeks ago. It was a good interview. He explained his continued, shall we say, lack of enthusiasm for Pastrana and wouldn't budge a bit. :silly:

Is it also true that RC will pilot the 450 4 bone at select events (Unadilla, Redbud come to mind)?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Very cool Pred.

The only thing keeping LaRocco from winning more is his starts. The 450F should fix that.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Yeah, he raced it the last couple of nats and did pretty good. No magic, but with more testing and seat time it might prove to fit him well. He has chosen it for a reason... I have also heard through the local grapevine that RC has been turning some laps on the thumper.

At the local races in MI I have noticed more new 450's than CR250's.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
LaRocco in good health + good starts generated by the CRF450 = 2002 Outdoor National Championship

I don't really feel like I'm going out on a limb by making that prediction.

(I hope...I hope...I hope....I'd love to see LaRocket win it this year!)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
LaRocco in good health + good starts generated by the CRF450 = 2002 Outdoor National Championship

No way.
This year, on that CR250, RC is going to clean house like he never has before. I'd be willing to bet he'll win the majority of races he enters. He's already preparing. The 250 class is going to be boring, unless Tort can kick it up a notch and Lusk and Windham win a few. Vuillemin and RonRon might make it interesting....nah, it's gonna be RC world domination again. :silly:

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
The first thing I said when I saw the 450 for the first time was this, "If the put LaRocco on it, he will be unstopable!" I hope I am right.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Thunder, they put him on the 450F last year for the last several Nationals (I can't remember how many). If you look at the results for last year, it looks like he did better on his 250 prior to that. Not a surprise given the nonexistent saddle time he had on it.

The guy that looks awesome on it is Ramsey. That guy is a frickin' animal on that thing. I think he could have beaten RC at Houston, he just let him by. :|

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Ramsey does look great on the CRF. But once RC got around him at Houston, he was gone. It's RC, then everyone else. He's making it boring again...

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
You're crazy if you think that the CRF450 will produce good starts for LaRocco. It didn't help him last year when he rode it. He couldn't holeshot if everyone else hit the gate. In the odd event that he does get a good start from time to time, he doesn't do any better than he would of with a bad start.
I really like ML but he just can't start to save his life. The truth hurts.....

The start is determined by reaction to the gate and the first few feet out of the gate and how long you go before slowing for the corner. If it's a really long straight, then yes, the more powerful 426,520 and 450 MIGHT (not guaranteed) pull ahead of the 250s. There is no magic in the CRF450.

Sorry to vent, but you have implied that the CRF450 is so darned potent that anyone can holeshot on it. NOT TRUE. Any bike is only as good as the rider.......(starter).......

cappra

Feb 8, 2001
osheens right you have to be a good starter not the bike.You go watch some vet races were theres lots of big thumpers and some small guy with quick reaction time holeshots the bunch on a suzuki buck and a quarter i,ve seen it happen.
I would still like to see mike kick those young guys butts!!!!!!
Light some fire under these young pros who think they have done it just by making the big show and money. As much as people don,t like RC he,s got guts, heart, and second place is first loser attitude ,keeps him pushing ahead striving to be the best not just be there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom