The pros,just how much stuff do they use?

girlsbike

Dec 2, 2001
I wonder how many chains,tires,sprockets,top-ends they go through in a typical superx season.I bet it would actually boggle the mind at how much in tires they go through.I read that they replace the tires after every moto.Spare no expense.I'm sure that the teams get support in the way of parts and stuff from manufacturers but think about it.Rickey carmicheal probably starts out with a practically new bike every moto.

scott
rm 250

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
New chain, sprockets, top end, and other stuff every race. There's an article on RC's race bike and the maintenance schedule in the special SX preview booklet that comes with the February 03 issue of Transworld Motocross.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
there was one rider last year (forget his name, but one of the top 5 in the 125 class) at a national that came in after his practice lap and had a new rear tire installed, of course he got the hole shot, and that is what they atributed it to! :yeehaw:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
So what does that say about the rider's true abilities? Claim that the TIRE got the hole shot? Well dang, then who needs Ricky? :)

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
........hmm.............now if I can just get enough money to get new tires for every race, I bet I MIGHT be able to beat Ricky w/ a flat tire(front). Nope..........better make that everyother lap.....

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Jeez...
If they replace tires after very moto, I'd like to have their "old" ones. I still have the stock tires on my 97 KDX :eek:

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by Stan_Flemmings
Jeez...
If they replace tires after very moto, I'd like to have their "old" ones. I still have the stock tires on my 97 KDX :eek:

Heck, I've got an unrestored 1974 "Survivor" Puch 175 SD with the original Metzlers on it.  Come to think of it, I've got two 73 Pentons with the original Metzlers on them too.

I do admit they are a bit brittle though........... :confused:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Prety much the bikes are completly rebuilt after ever event. After every few times the build pratic bikes with the 'old' parts. So every thing gets used. But still damn! There's a good read about this in TWMX I tried to find it real quick but culddent. Take a look at it youll be very suprised!

Feb 25, 2001
There was a suzuki add back when they was alot of AX racers on Suzuki that was like a mastercard add. 52 tires a season 302 gallons of race fuel, 22 pistons, 14 rods ect.....it was a interesting add about a year ago.

Cyrus

Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by Stan_Flemmings
Jeez...

My dad buys tires off Jordan Szokes if youve ever heard of him, but thats street bikes.

CRDUDE

Jun 10, 2002
my uncles got a 73 cr, MINT cond. and still has the origianal tires on it, not a crack in em. cleanest stock bike ive seen hardly been ridin

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
A friend of mine is a Factory Team Green rider for the Hare & Hound Series and the Best in the Desert Series. His mechanic brings three to six fresh factory owned bikes to every race. Normally three of each, KX-250s and KX-500s. When they are sure which bike will be best for the course before the race, they only bring three. They arrive three days before the race. He works with the mechanic and suspension tuner (Acme) the first day getting the set-up (suspension valving, jetting, gear ratios, etc) just right. They may change tires and chain/sproket combinations several times during set-up. They never use a sproket, chain or tire twice. They do all three bike this way. He rides for practice the second day in an area with conditions similar to the race course. When finished practicing, the factory mechanic rebuilds the top ends, clutches and brakes along with installing fresh tires. They set up all three bike exactly the same, test them all, then line them up in the back of a van. On race day the truck moves from checkpoint to checkpoint along the race course ahead of the rider. If he arrives at a checkpoint with a bad clutch or a flat tire they rob one from the spare bike, install it in record time and he continues the race. It takes a pro mechanic about 2 minutes to change a clutch and 30 seconds to change a rear wheel. All-in-all they go through about 5- to 10 rear tires, three top ends, and a couple of clutches for each series race. Multiply that times the number of races in both series and you get lots of parts. He also rides in other non-series races to impove his skill and stay in shape. Last year he rode over 60 races as a professional. In these non-series races he rides one of his five practice bikes (factory provided). It isn't unusual to walk into his home-shop and see 100 tires, twenty-five pipes, dozens of handlebars and cabinets full of new clothing. Rough life, isn't it?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom