The public's return to 2 strokes

samiam

Jan 3, 2000
I also prefer 2 strokes, simply because they are lighter and more fun to ride. All of my riding consists of tight rocky terrain. The only positive thing that I recognize about 4 strokes is the mileage. My DRZ gets around 50 MPG, my KDX is more like 18 or 20.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
just read through this old thread, wanted to add a comment...for the woods, it seems like they need to make about a 375 four stroke, for my tastes anyway.

I can ride a 250f pretty fast compared to most other bikes, you can just crank the throttle coming out of corners and they are so smooth and predictable. But the down side is, I am bored riding the bike. There is no arm-yanking sudden burst of power. There is no extra reserve power to be unleashed when you come to that run-it-through-the-gears, open area on the trails.

The 450 has plenty of power, everywhere, but this makes it tough to finesse through tight woods, lots of clutch work to prevent killing it and then on some of them you get overheating. On a 250 or 500 2t you can ride up a gear (out of the powerband) in tight situations, that's hard to do on a 450....either it's making a bunch of power or if you go lower rpm the chain starts clacking and you risk the dreaded "four stroke flame out".

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
Ive owned a 04 ktm sx250 and it was a wicked bike but i sold it and bought a 08 kxf 250 and it was a much nicer bike to ride and eaisyer to own with the convince of just fill it up on the way out to ride str8 from the servo and add my valve saver and go, i love the smell and that great sound a 2 stroke makes just like getting a empty tin and banging a spoon around in it, but i fine i ride faster and better on the 4 stroke and its easier to jump and take around the bush and the track i miss the snap your neck power band but the 4 stroke just works better for me with aqll the ridding i do. just my 2 cents

Top Bottom